The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » As I Recall....Slydini » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Slydini was known as a great teacher of magic and very inovative. His creativity came from not having access to the normal magic books or other magicians that influenced so many but being left to come up with his own unique methods. I had never seen Slydini perform but had heard his name so when 'As I Recall...Slydini' came out I looked forward to seeing the footage of him performing. 'As I Recall' is a two disc DVD set (and priced as such) put out by 1234Magic, known previously for their work with street magicians such as Cellini. I really didn't know what to expect but with the reputation Slydini had I figured it had to have some value. It did.

First off you should know the format is unusual in that it is done like a documentary/memorial to Slydini. The majority of the DVDs are students of his discussing Slydini's methods and their interaction with him. I enjoy documentaries and found this aspect facinating. It should be noted I like watching magicians get interviewed, I think it is a valuable tool to the magician. If you are not into documentaries and want just tricks this DVD isn't going to make you happy. For those that do value such things this is a good one. Slydini seemed, bases on the intereviews, to be completely focused on magic and only magic. Most those intereviewed, and they range from a student Slydini had 50 years ago up to his last student, are pretty interesting in their own right. The least interesting, to me, being the fellow who stuck by Slydini in his last days. Why I admire that he was friends with Slydini when he was at the end of his long life I don't think he contributed much of value other than how Slydini was in a home. The other guys, and one wife of a student, had great stories and truely admired Slydini. One of the guys, the old fellow named Charlie, does a coin routine that fried me completely, I watched it a few times and have no clue how he did it. Unfortunately that isn't explained (should be, it looked great).

The way the dvd is set up they show footage of Slydini (note that the footage is often pretty bad but there isn't cleaner video available) performing. One thing I noticed about Slydini was he moves very gracefully, something I don't do. He has a good rythm to his magic and every move is calculated. After the Slydini footage they show Cellini performing the same piece and in most cases explaining the effect. Cellini has one iritating, to me, trait but I got use to it but over all he did a very good job explaining the effects. The effects shown were:
Coin Through Tables (very nicely done, a keeper)
Cig Magic (looked great but I don't do anything with cigs)
A torn and restorn napkin, which fooled me and I've done to good reaction.
Production of Silks. Very nice, better than a fountain in that the silks fall all over the place. I do like a good silk fountain though.
Knotted Silks (Slydini Silks). This is a real keeper, a mystery.
Balls to Hat Box. A great example of how movement and misdirection work together.

The overall production is good, the lighting washes out a bit and the staging is sparse but pretty good and the sound is not a problem. All the routines shown are either things folks will find use for or at minimum can be used to learn from. The interviews are facinating and the footage of Slydini, again some pretty rough, is interesting to watch. He was good.

End result: If you just want tricks don't bother, if you like history and magicians talking about magicians, a very good product. Should be found in a lot of magic shops.
Steve V
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Slydini was a truly great magician and innovator of classic closeup magic. For those unfortunate ones who didn't have a chance to see Slydini lecture or perform, these DVDs are the next best thing. I was fortunate in having the opportunity to meet and experience Slydini in the late 1970's, and I hope these DVDs will open up a new generation to the magic of a real master.

Steve's review is right on the mark -- owning this set will enable the serious student of Slydini's work to attain a feeling of how Slydini combined graceful movement and timing to create a strong magical experience. His technique and manner of presentation should be studied by all serious proponents of sleight-of-hand and closeup magic.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
And one of the best DVD producers in the business today did them: KOZ!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2006-02-17 15:22, MagicChris wrote:
And one of the best DVD producers in the business today did them: KOZ!

Agreed!

Sad to know that not many magicians attended the great Slydini's funeral.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
You know, I have to confess something. I know Koz as a street performer and when I saw he put together the DVD I was expected it to be tossed together. I had no clue at that time that he was an experienced editor of film (he did it at a university) and his other projects. I was very pleased with what he did and I loved the Slydini dvd.
Steve V
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5373 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Ah shucks!!!!!

thanks fellas...well I was a broadcast engineer at cornell universtiy for 10 years and my partner was a videographer at CNN

so we have some experience...and yes, I'm very proud to say, I'm a street performer...

thanks for the kind words
koz
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Koz is a Busker.
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5373 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Lol
that's right, I AM a busker!
koz
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5777 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
You may continue your discussion here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&41
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » As I Recall....Slydini » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL