The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Needle through balloon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Olszanski
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Olszanski
I broke my needle and have been searching for a replacement -- 18 inches or so. Any suggestions? I've tried fabric/craft stores like JoAnn's and Michael's but they only have needles up to 12 inches (I tried to special order but they couldn't fine longer). I also tried upholstery shops and marine shops to no avail. Do any magic dealers sell just the needle as a replacement, or should I just buy the darn (pun intended) thing?
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
You can get the needle through balloon for under 15 bucks at most magic dealers.

You can get it online from ELM shop at:

http://www.elmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.......58840.ed

check it out

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
If you're going to buy it commercially may I recommend spending a few extra dollars for the Super Needled Ballon? It's a thicker, much sturdier needle. When I lost mine I replaced it (unintentionally) with the regular size and was a bit disappointed given the comparison. Just a thought...
Olszanski
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Olszanski
I didn't know there was another needle floating out there. That is great advice and I'll look for the super needled version if I can't otherwise replace.
sbroomheadsr
View Profile
New user
Retired, so I only have
59 Posts

Profile of sbroomheadsr
You can also purchase it with a holder that looks like a magic wand. It even keeps the needle lubed and ready to go.
S Broomhead
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My best advice is get the Super Needle. My next best advice is make it from stainless steel available in model airplane shops.

I don't like the economy model either.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
HOW DID YOU BREAK IT? I can not possibly imagine mine EVER breaking...
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Quote:
On 2006-02-24 21:17, Jordini wrote:
HOW DID YOU BREAK IT? I can not possibly imagine mine EVER breaking...

Good question Jordini...can't wait to hear this one! Smile
robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
Since you guys are on the subject and the search feature of the MC is down, let me ask, does anyone know of any threads or information on needle through ballon patter. I have the effect and it is one of those that just sits there. I have always felt a little uncomfortable that it is too delicate, and have not found a patter that I think resonates with an adult audience.

Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Bob,

Michael Ammar has a great routine in "The Magic of Michael Ammar." I think it's called "Billy the Balloon." Billy eats a borrowed ring, you hypnotize him, etc. Good stuff. You can see him perform it on one of his early vids too!

Best
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Olszanski
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Olszanski
Yes, Ammars routine is great, and that book is why the effect is done in my hands! How do you break a needle? Well, put it in your hand bag (oh, you'll take it out soon...), forget about it, and realize something is wrong when your car door catches on something and doesn't quite shut. Hmmm, looks like that needle can penetrate through a hand bag, as if by magic. Car door + needle? Well, the door was fine. This is just a scenario I made up, because I would never be so clumsy, of course...
mr_e_uss
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of mr_e_uss
I used to do the "Super Needled Balloon" -- but was **never** able to use the threaded ribbon. While the needle would be able to be passed through the balloon, the balloon would loose far too much air while the ribbon was pulled through it.

Has anyone had luck using the ribbon?

Thanks!
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I found the same thing with the thin piece of rope/string that came with my needle. It is too abrasive and it tended to either let too much air out too fast or more times than not, it burst the balloon. I have since used soft angora yarn and that has solved most of my "ribbon" problems.

Snidini
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
If you are using yarn, try a small blob of vaseline at the tail end. It seals the hole a bit enabling you to display the balloon a little longer before breaking it.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Quote:
On 2006-03-05 18:50, Magiguy wrote:
If you are using yarn, try a small blob of vaseline at the tail end. It seals the hole a bit enabling you to display the balloon a little longer before breaking it.

I thought so too MG but since my needle is already stored with enough "grease" to easy any friction, it still wasn't enough to keep the "cord" that also came with the needle from abrasively ripping the balloon. It was a piece of cord with shiny metal/foil ribbon woven in it that I think was the problem. Anyway, it's history and yes the vaseline on the needle to protect it from rust and the yarn do a great job. Now, if only I could stop shaking when the needle enters the balloon.

Snidini
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Smile
Snidini, I had the same trouble with the same metalic looking string that came with my needle. I threw it away and switched to yarn (it's the yarn that I refer to in my last post, suggesting the blob of vaseline. I was never able to get the metalic string to pass, regardless of the amount of "grease," without tearing a gaping hole in the balloon). The blob at the tail end (which I actually steal from the needle) is the last thing to touch the balloon, allowing for the slight delay, allowing you to pause a bit longer at the end.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
My needle came with yarn. I have had it since the 90's.
I keep it in a long tube that came filled with vaseline.
No problems.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
I have had my needle for many years and it is still in great condition. They are inexpensive and I think it would be worthwhile just to purchase another from your favorite dealer.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Whats the difference between "needle in Balloon" and "Super Needle"? Regular needle is 18 inch long whats the super needle like?

Also I can't find a description of Ammars "Billy, the hypnotized balloon" and I do not want to buy the big Ammar book just to find ut if I like it or not. Can anybody describe the effect from a spectators point of view without revealing any secrets.

Thanks in advance.

Jan
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Super needle is a bit thicker in diameter. It's just a sturdier, heavier version. I don't believe that there's a difference in length.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Needle through balloon (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL