The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Section for Magic Instruction Corrections » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
I would like to see a section devoted to listing corrections to magic instructions.

I recently purchased the new Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks. It's a good book, but it has mistakes, mislabled figures, or missing figures. Certainly this is not the only book that has mistakes in it.

I think it would helpful to have a section where people could add in the corrections that they've noticed. Although the corrections would not give away the secret, could the the section for a particular book be password protected by, for example, the 2'nd word on the 3'rd line of the 24'th page of the book?

Yet, I'm not sure if this web site provides the proper medium to allow an organized way to do this.

I would appreciate hearing other's thoughts on this.

John
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
This sounds like the sort of thing for which it would be more appropriate to have a separate website about. I would also recommend that you contact the publisher to let them know about the errors.
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
It seems perfectly in line with, "Magicians helping magicians", to me.

Contacting the publisher is an excellent idea, I already have that book, however, notifying the publisher allows for making corrections to future editions, but won't be of use to those of us that own the books in question.

It could be done like a typical sales/items wanted forum; people offering knowledge of errors that they can provide the 'fix' for, or people seeking help with errors that they have found, but want help with the correction. The actual info passing can be done offline, with the forum just being a gathering place to let people know about the errors/fixes.

I wish I had something like this for my Freshman math text in college. I'd check the 'answers' in the back to verify my results, and many of the check answers were wrong, causing me much hair loss.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I for one want John's in depth observations to be posted here at the magic Café. As a rope magic lover I have found that John's opinions are based on extensive research that makes him the bigest rope nut I know.

John
Don't take your priceless insights somewhere else, because you are (in my opinion) the absolute coolest rope nut of them all.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
Well, with a recommendation like that, what else needs to be said Smile

Some thoughts on the comments above:

I don't have the means to put info like this on its own site, nor does it seem desirable(as Al so eloquently stated Smile). Although that is the direction the Bobo Project took, that was more necessitated by the need to store many videos, and this could just be a section of the Café that uses words.

I would like to see it available through the Café, as a resource; I don't want to have to respond to individual emails, nor email others for their corrections. A simple password related to something specific in the book would be a way to "gate" the entrance, and protect the interests of the publisher

This doesn't need to be limited to the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, I just happened to be going thru that book now, and notice some mistakes, and need for clarification.

Although it could be good to contact the publisher about this, I don't see it any more necessary to do so than when discussing other marketed effect. I've contacted Gabe about other things, and he seems preoccupied with other projects.

Knots Off
John
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
I emailed Gabe, and he is very open to getting corrections. He would incorporate the corrections into a reprinting.

It would be nice to have a medium similar to Wikipedia, where others can edit the original post, as oppposed to adding a comment to the bottom of the thread. This would allow related information to be kept together. I don't think we have that capability on this site.

Maybe I could just start a thread in the secret sessions, and start listing the errors and tips that I located, others could contirbute as they see fit.

John
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4811 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Sorry to be a bit tardy in responding, but things have been hectic here behind the scenes as you can imagine. Smile
Regarding your suggestion, I do think the idea has some merit and will certainly consider this in the very near future - stay tuned! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Section for Magic Instruction Corrections » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL