The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Ammar Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
The Ammar cups arrived today. Packaged very nicely, a full color COA adorned with a picture of Mr. Ammar himself is included. Both the COA and the box the cups are packaged in correspond with the numbered set you recieve. The COA also has the corporate seal and the signature of Mike Ammar and Chris Reeseman of Encore Magic.

The cups feel and handle very nicely. They will stack with 3 1" crochet balls on the saddle with no float. The particular size that Mike chose for these cups makes the final load a breeze. While they will not take a regulation lacrosse ball they will take a training ball, Mike Rogers baseball or of course the Ammar fruit with ease. This is what the cups were designed around. Chris spun these from 040 copper rather than 050 for handling ease. In an earlier post I had stated that they were 050 based on information recieved, but upon recieving the cups found them to be from 040 material. A cup this size in 050 would probally be somewhat heavy to do the palming load, so the 040 gauge is perfect for the application and handling ease of these cups.

Each cup weighs in at about 2oz per cup, 6 oz total. The weight makes them light enough to stroll with, and still sturdy enough to be a "working mans" set. The saddle is 2 1/4" in diameter, 2 1/2" in height and the ID of the mouth is 2 1/2" with an OD mouth of approx 2 3/4".

The mouth beads are rolled tightly against the cup. When the cups are stacked there is no rocking, the cups sit securely on top of each other.

If you are used to working with Paul Fox cups, Monti cups and cups similiar is size, it should not take much time if any to get use to handling Mike's cups.

GREAT JOB CHRIS! Smile

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks for the review Jake. The cups are a tad smaller and lighter than I had hoped, but for the money they are a good buy.

I'm curious...is the visual illusion any better between this cup and the final load in comparison to a larger cup?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks for the review, Jake.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Seems like the illusion might be worse as the top of the cup does not narrow but that is just my guess.

let's let jake plop a pome de tere on one and we'll see.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2006-02-23 16:39, Frank Starsini wrote:
[...]let's let jake plop a pome de tere on one and we'll see.

uh....?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Le pomme de terre = potato (French, literally "apple of the earth")
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-02-23 16:39, Frank Starsini wrote:
Seems like the illusion might be worse as the top of the cup does not narrow but that is just my guess.

let's let jake plop a pome de tere on one and we'll see.

Frank,
that would be fruitless Smile The cups were designed around the Ammar final load fruit and the M.Rogers final load baseballs. I did place a 3" steel ballbearing on top and it definately looks as if the bearing would not fit, good reason because Mike didn't design these cups around anything else but his final loads.

As Chris Reeseman put it, they did not set out to create a cup for Mike that was to industry standards but to be used with Mike's routines and fruit. I used my set tonight at a local rest. and they were quite comfortable to tote around and handle very nicely. I'm not giving my Paul Fox cups or Sisti cups up, they're my favorite right now to perform with, but these are definately great for strolling.

Cheers,
Jake
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

How tall is the stack o' three?
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Stacked they are 5" total height.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When they get here, I'll go through my bins of load balls, and figure out what some of the better final loads are. I'm thinking that a racquetball might be pretty good.

Also, if you go to Wal Mart, they have some "spring balls" for about $5.00 a pack. There are 15 balls in a pack. These might work well, too. They are actually hollow rubber balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
They do take a raquet ball, 3 pack is 2.89 at Wal-Mart for the Wilson brand. However the Wow factor that people look for in a final load just doesn't seem to be there.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

5". ok.

I'm planning on doing a brand new mini cups routine about 1,000 times during march 1,4,5 and have come up with a mix of Ron Bauer routine , and the carl andrews rotuine and other ideas I've liked using 3 cups.

I've opted for the Animal Golf cups as they are nice and small but I really like the tallness of the cups for a mini cup.

I hate wanting to buy cups all the time. I don't see how you stand it Bill.
But I guess you're not in the same situation. You just buy everything so there's no decsion to be made.

Do not allow me to revisit this thread.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have posted some more information about these cups in the review section.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Now I don't need to visit this thread. I just decided after further research that I "had" to have a set.

Over and out.

Frank Palmer
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
The Walmart hollow rubber balls Bill Palmer mentioned also have another use. You can cut a X slit in it and have a salt pour gimmick. Not sure if this is of interest to C&B types but its a good use of a extra ball.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's exactly right. They will work for this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Quote:
On 2006-02-26 11:34, doublelift wrote:
The Walmart hollow rubber balls Bill Palmer mentioned also have another use. You can cut a X slit in it and have a salt pour gimmick. Not sure if this is of interest to C&B types but its a good use of a extra ball.

There's a C & B "Type"? And I think I might be one! How did this happen?

(The salt pour sounds like an interesting idea).

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
CBA meetings will occur Monday evening in chatroom #13. All members are expected to complete a Twelve Step routine.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I attended the Michael Ammar lecture here on Tuesday, April 18.

First of all -- if Michael comes through your town, see the lecture. Michael is not a static performer. His thinking on various things, including the cups and balls, is changing to fit the times.

These cups are perfect for the fab fruit loads. He has redesigned the fab fruit so that it will fit in a smaller space. This means that he does not need the special work he had done to his clothing in order to perform the C&B.

This will also give you a chance to purchase the fab fruit at a much more reasonable price than on his web site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Ammar Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL