The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Gene DeJean has passed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Unfortunate news.

A great magician and friend, Gene DeJean (McIntosh) passed away earlier today. He had been hospitalized for a couple of months, and seemed to be improving recently, before conditions obviously took a turn for the worst.

Gene was an incredibly original and brilliant thinker in magic, and was still extremely lucid and instinctively creative, even in these last few weeks. He was easily my favorite magician to jam with on creative issues, due to his inability to accept the magic done according to the status quo. Between his views on magic and views on eastern philosophy and religion, he was a true mentor to me.

Stories and legend recall a trip to the Pacific Coast Association of Magicians convention, with an act that was years ahead of it's time. A show that many considered shocking, some positive, some people jealous of his efforts, but no one was unaffected by this master of a brutally visual demonstration of illusion. Chris Angel would have been proud of this visionary's accomplishments when Gene made his mark away from Houston.

A fellow fire-eater, as well as a clinical and stage hypnotist, he was very well rounded in many of our entertainment fundamentals that seem related to magic. His input on mentalism was always spot on when I was looking for information, even when I wasn't really aware that I was actually looking... conversation ALWAYS came back to creativity in magic.

Gene had a true love for magic that simply couldn't be contained at a magic meeting or gathering. His remarks weren't just intended to embarrass another performer. His love for magic done well or in an interesting manner almost forced him to lighten the mood with a sarcastic comment or remark when the wannabes took the stage with an ineffective attempt at doing something that they had seen somewhere else or contrived without a strong knowledge of basics or showmanship. We laughed, mostly to keep from crying.

His inventions were numerous and impressive. Probably one of the most important of his inventions was the Chopping illusion. Rarely seen, never forgotten, an incredible accomplishment, a removing of a woman's middle without the aid of boxes as covers. His Shiva suspension was used by several regional performers in and around Texas, and many have mentioned a spider lady illusion that was considered to be one of the best crafted, most beautiful effects anywhere.

Several commented not only on the originality of his work, but the craftsmanship and sound construction principles utilized.

In recent months, as recently as this winter, we discussed him presenting some of these effects on video to have a sort of bio or memoir of his own effects. With his health issues and immobility, it would have taken quite a bit of editing to pull off, but we were both inspired by the thought.

Around Halloween, he was seen by residents at his hi-rise in the heights doing a mentalism and spiritualist act to great acclaim. He still had it. Great stories, fantastic presence and incredible experiences from a life of travel and adventure that people just don't experience nowadays.

There should be another post online in other places about a hilarious twist-ending to a blindfolded drive from Houston to Dallas with the late Bill Siros. If anyone would like to add that story, or any corrections or additions to this post, I feel that many, including myself, would love to see them here. Bill Palmer and Bryan Brusselback should be very helpful here.

I will miss Gene greatly. I am still upset that I wasn't able to visit him within the last few weeks. On my last visit, I must have picked up a flu bug at the hospital/care maintenance facility that he was staying in. I was afraid of bringing it back to him, or picking up another, and was not able to see him. Truly a regret, as he was still sharp as a tack, and just as funny and crazily outspoken as ever.

Brother Gene, I will miss you. With your release from the Houston magic community, I feel that I will be truly walking alone, more now than ever. You were the real deal, and I fear that magic here will never be the same without you.

Peace, rest, calm, infinity, forever. Other things come and go. An artist's creativity is a constant that makes the important mark.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Even though I have never heard of Mr. Dejean, nevertheless all magicians are a unique breed. You seem to have known him and hold him in high esteem. To this may I say, my condolences go out to his family & may he rest in peace. Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardZ>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I wish I knew him as he sounded like such a talented and wonderful person. My condolences to his family and friends.

Chrystal
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I knew Gene very well.

I had known him since I was about 15 years old. He was a very clever man, a great thinker and really creative.

I had the honor of delivering his Broken Wand ceremony. He came to almost every magic club meeting in Houston over the past several years. His chair now sits empty.

But somewhere, somehow, I can hear him "All opposed -- Gene?"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Gene DeJean has passed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL