The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Quick Tricks to Impress on a Plane Flight? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
134 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Hello All,

It's been quite some time since I posted. A busy life kinda' kept me - well - busy.

So let me just say - Hello Again.

I'll be traveling by plane to Long Island next week and I'm looking for ideas on a few quick tricks to show waiting to board the plane and during the flight.

Cards, coins, mental, bills, strings, rings, rubber bands - any and all ideas are welcome.

Depending on which airport in NY I fly into - I can be on a flight that is VERY LOUD (small plane). I'm in a seat with only one person across the "aisle". It's the "everybody get's a window seat" size plane.

And sometimes that's not a problem - with the regular 3 across seating on a larger plane.

If that helps.

Maybe a ring-and-string routine would work. Get passengers on either side of me to hold the ends. Pull the ring off. That could be interesting. Smile

Thanks be well.

John
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19765 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess I feel magic is not best for airplanes.

why bother people?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Ditto
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
134 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Quote:
On 2006-02-20 11:54, Dannydoyle wrote:
I guess I feel magic is not best for airplanes.

why bother people?

Thanks for your replies.

Not exactly the response I was hoping for after a few years away.

Fair enough questions though.

Like I said - doesn't have to be ON the plane.

You're stuck with a few travelers between flights.

BORED as can be.

Plenty of opportunity to strike up a simple conversation with someone. Get around to showing something small.

Or...

Have you ever exchanged business cards with fellow passengers?

Work the biz card into a quick trick.

You never know - you might get the biz card of the CEO your compnay has been trying reach for 6 months. The CEO just might remember the guy who cut and restored his tie.

So let me rephrase the question:

Has anyone ever done some magic for fellow airport travelers while waiting between flights or while on the flight and what did you do?

I'm reviewing a few ideas of my own.

Like to see what others have done too.

John
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19765 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok let me tell you what prompted my response.

I do this for a living. when on an airplane I tend to mind my own business. I have PLENTY of opportunity to work with 2 shows a night 5 nights a week. So when traveling I tend to NOT want to do it.

Second of all and more important, I have been in line behind a "magician" who just HAS to show the clerk a trick. Taking up my time and really annoying the clerk who is being polite and not saying something. This goes for the guys who insist on telling jokes too by the way.

Keep in mind nobody likes magic more than magicians. When we insist on foisting tricks on an unsuspecting public, it usually does not work out quite as well as we think.

I have seen many many guys who do this, and then once they leave they are the joke everyone is telling.

I know I know, not you spacifically. I am sure this describes NOBODY on this board and I mean it not to be devisive. But life exists without magic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1544 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I like to do the vanishing pants trick. You sit down, your seat mate sits next you you, they glance away and when they look back BINGO! You are pantless!!!

I'm telling you, it is a laugh riot!
williamtbrady
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
56 Posts

Profile of williamtbrady
How about 'ultimate card thru window' Smile

lol.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
How about an anti-gravity effect on the plane.
They use planes so astronauts can get used to this sensation.
Hook up some IT and have something float up off your tray.

Something about electromagnetic fields might also freak some people out.

When not playing magician, and sitting by myself I've casually, made things float and move. It's soon noticed.
this is when you can get talking and possibly make some contacts.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Time and Place and that's really not it....

BUT.... Smile if you want to make someones day why not make a napkin rose and offer it to whomever watches you make it... with your compliments and a smile...

To an air hostess how about this "wierd - a guy dressed in black with a parachute on his back just leapt out of this window"... before he jumped he asked me to give you a rose with his compliments... "naturally I said to him there's no way you'd believe me - but hey... just in case - here's the rose he left Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
134 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Thanks Jaz.

The anti-gravity theme is a good one.

Clarioneer - thanks too. The paper rose is a nice touch to say THANKS to the hard working flight attendants. And maybe get another round of peanuts no one else gets. Smile

William - man you are right - that would be the ultimate card thru window.

Posted: Feb 20, 2006 11:13pm
I missed two...

teevtee, I'll pass on the pants trick. You seem to enjoy doing it - wouldn't want to take anything away from you, so to speak.

Danny, thanks for expanding on your initial response. Point taken.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1544 Posts

Profile of teevtee
OK, serious answer... though a boring one. I find that card tricks work best because they are a natural item to have on a plane and it does not have an schtick stigma to it. On LONG flights, international flights, I have occasionally done some card stuff and it has gone over well. Nothing travel themed or anything, ust your favorite routine.
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
134 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Thanks teevtee.

I would have thought cards might be a little "too much" on a flight. Your experience suggests otherwise - kept to a limit, of course.

Interestingly enough, I was browsing the Richard Osterlind entree (2005) and happened upon this wonderful little item he shared. If I've got a friendly conversation already going, I think I could work this in without forcing it.

I won't even try to repeat it here. You've got to read Richards description in his words. Here's the Café link, scroll down to Richards response to the post. It's the "birthday" pet routine he describes.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......63&4

What a nifty little gem. This just might be what I've been looking for.

That is, for an opener at least. (I'm just kidding Danny. Smile ).

-
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
If you must, then take something to entertain the kids and keep them occupied... the parents will love you for it ;-) Then if some adults show interest, so be it.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19765 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
John, it is only one mans opinion is all.

NOT a rule not even a guideline. I mean no disrespect.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
About a year ago I flew from Johannesburg to Dubai (where I stayed for two nights before leaving for Bangkok). One of my travelmates mentioned to the head steward (a guy from Lebanon) that I do magic. He brought over a pack of cards (Emirates brand) and asked me to do a trick. Well, I was sitting by the window (in economy) with a person seated next to me, two people watching from the front and a steward in the aisle. All I had to work on was the tray in front of me.

I performed that classic trick from both Royal Road and Expert Card Technique - I think it's called 'Now You See It!' in ECT. It went amazingly well. That evening we went out to explore Dubai's nightlife, chaperoned by a real-life flightsteward and some of his (mostly female) Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish and French co-workers.

What a trip.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It's great to know things that you can do at the spur of the moment when asked.
Personally, I agree 100% with Dannydoyle.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Great Simon
View Profile
New user
Rugby, UK
34 Posts

Profile of The Great Simon
I like the "entertain the kids" idea, not only will the parents love you, but (if they're anything like some of the kids I've shared a flight with) EVERYONE on the plane will.

You should try and avoid doing things too early on a long flight unless you're prepared; I made that mistake on a train journey once.

I was just shuffling some cards (to play solitaire, actually!) and I could see these two little kids watching me, so I offered to show them a few tricks. Unfortunately 20 minutes later I'd done everything I could do to a good standard with an unprepared pack of cards, I didn't have anything else I could do well enough... but the kids kept pestering me for another 1/2 an hour to do something else...

I won't make that mistake again!

Anyway, John, how did it go? Did you do anything?
"What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet." - Woody Allen
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
If asked to do a trick up in the air, I'd pick Richard Osterlind's Watch Routine.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ofrmagic
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of ofrmagic
Card tricks always work
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
Your comment about business card exchange reminded me of an affect from Michael Ammar's "Ice Breakers" video. Self printing business card affect. Essentially impromptu and easy reset. He has another tape out called (I think) Business Card Miracles.
Further to the topic I am always reluctant to force magic on people. I lean towards magical things that happen that don't need me to demand their attention. The magic just happens and they happen to be there when it does and usually I do it for myself more than them. If they are entertained in a passive, non-invasive way then fine but I have never been comfortable with magic performances that demand unwilling (even if polite) participation.
I've never done much in the way of magic on a plane anyway as I'm too busy hanging onto my seat trying to keep the plane in the air.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Quick Tricks to Impress on a Plane Flight? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL