The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Quick Tricks to Impress on a Plane Flight? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
In keeping with my amature status, I do occasionally perform for kids on planes. Like others have said, their parents and the rest of the plane will love you if you can quiet down a rambunctious kid. Magic in the terminal is a little easier to deal with, especially if you have a long layover or a delayed flight.

Keep in mind that you have to get your props through the security checks, so simple and non metalic is generally better. I remember reading a story about a magician who was stopped going through a security checkpoint. The screener saw something on the X-ray and the magician soon found himself surrounded by armed guards. The screener thought he had seen a hand grenade. The hand grenade turned out to be a purse frame and a pool ball. In another part of the world the incident could have resulted in a bag of exploded tricks!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Here's a great trick for an airplane....buy one of those yellow oxygen masks (comes with a couple feet of plastic tubing). Wait until the person next to you falls asleep....slip on the mask, nudge him awake - look at him and start screaming..... Great trick.....and you saw it here on the MagicCafe!
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Quote:
On 2006-04-16 14:56, Ireland wrote:
Here's a great trick for an airplane....buy one of those yellow oxygen masks (comes with a couple feet of plastic tubing). Wait until the person next to you falls asleep....slip on the mask, nudge him awake - look at him and start screaming..... Great trick.....and you saw it here on the MagicCafe!

That is a HILARIOUS idea!

Posted: Apr 20, 2006 9:36pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I may be in the minority here, but I think a flight is a GREAT opportunity for magicians.

Firstly, people are often bored and are happy for any entertainment.

I also agree with the comments about business card tricks. Not even 'miracles'.. just some fun gags would be a start.

Then, on long-haul flights, you've got those great trays of food and cutlery to fool around with - loops spring to mind.

Little bottles of booze.. inflight magazines for a boooktest.. foreign currency.. pens..

Ok, so angles aren't great on a flight. But you have a pretty stationary audience, so you can make it work to your advantage.

Also, if you do card effects, buying a crappy deck from the inflight magazine and doing some simple effects is always an option.

If I was half as inventive as I'd like to be, I'm sure I could have a field-day on a plane.. or in the waiting room. Someone could write a whole book just about Inflight Magic - you heard it here first.

Syd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I flew a 100,000 miles year before last. I would KILL someone who did what you described.

Many many people who freequent fly really don't want to be bothered with anything more than the book they are smart enough to bring with them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Well you could try Knife thru Coat. Needle through arm. Finger chopper. Cut and restored seat belt. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Well..
I think magic would be more fitting for the people waiting, because of all the in-flight entertainments these days and even without you are sitting in a chair, and people may be tired etc.
Although.. if you just started to play with cards and see if they take on interest. Then strike up a converstaion. I found that when things get started this way, its a lot better than cold cold hitting people.
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 00:42, Dannydoyle wrote:
I flew a 100,000 miles year before last. I would KILL someone who did what you described.

I wasn't suggesting just getting up and walking around the plane, finding unwilling spectators. More just fiddling around and maybe sparking up interest from someone sitting near you.

And if it was me, I'd much rather someone approached me while waiting to board a flight than some David Blaine wannabe coming up to me in the street.

Syd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And the difference is?????????
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
The difference is, if I'm waiting for a plane or train departure, or if I'm actually sitting on a plane or train, I'm having downtime. I read a book, or a magazine or watch a film or eat some food.

If I'm in the street, I'm usually on my way somewhere. I have an agenda other than staying in one place.

Not to mention the fact that I can't stand Blaine's performance. I'd just want to punch him.

Syd
Jerseymagician
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Jerseymagician
Cards wouldnt be my first thought, but maybe stigmata or something, I mean its a good angle.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The difference is in the way YOU perceive youself and the way you percieve Blaine and nothing else. You are bothering strangers,and that is that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I think that if you're going to be doing magic in an airport the best time would be while you're in the terminal waiting to board. I know when I fly, I don't really want to be bothered and from my experience the other passengers don't either.

As for how to break the ice, it's already been covered. Just start doing something and see how people react. A friend of mine was sitting in a terminal, and just started doing sybil cuts, people started watching, he started showing tricks and was hired for a party.

To each his own though.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
I'd agree that in the terminal is a much better place to perform. Perhaps between flights. People are bored and waiting --- though I'd let them approach me, not vice versa.

Comedy Writer

PS I'd avoid balloons alltogether though -- loud pops tend to make security nervous.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
On the plane - big mistake. Why? Because, on a long flight, you will wind up performing for the entire flight - ALL the way, if you get someone who wants to "see another," or someone across the aisle who wants to "see it again." Been there, had it happen, won't do that again.

It's better to either chat the person up, get their business card and send them your promotional material. That way, you have THEIR contact info and have more control over the interaction.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lee you are assuming a level of compentence that may or may not be there.

Worse yet, you end up performnig the entire flight, and they are wishing, and hoping against hope you stop! (not YOU Lee, the "greater you")
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
How about this trick...'The Ever Filling Puke Bag'...been there done that!

It's gonna be a bumpy ride! Smile

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Danny, you hit the nail right on the thumb, as usual. One of the problems with trying to perform on a plane is that you CAN'T get away from the people! You're STUCK there and if you've got a limited set of goodies to work with, you are going to run out of material quickly and then you will look BAD!

And nobody wants to look bad.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I do not regularly perform when traveling. As has been said by others:
People don't want to be bothered
You can get stuck performing for the whole flight
You can quickly run out of material,
Etc, etc..

However, I was on a twelve-hour flight last year. There were a lot of kids and there very loquacious mother's. It was difficult, if not impossible to sleep. Out of sheer boredom I started playing with a rolled up napkin. Vanishes, cup and ball moves, just to pass the time and get a little practice and maybe come up with ideas for a routine. I looked up at one point and this kid across the aisle was leaning around his mom and watching open mouthed. He was really amazed. Hey, it happens, even for me. I invited him over and did some slights pretty soon there was a little group around me watching and laughing. Everyone was having a good time. I eventually snuck in some IT and had fun with that. The cabin lights were dim and I could have probably down it with dark yarn. I finished up by doing a “final” vanish. The kids were then showed simple sponge ball vanish and they went off happily to practice.

It was a one time thing and completely unplanned, but under those circumstances I would do it again. The steward thanked me after because they had never had the plane so quit!
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
I say, if you want to do magic on a plane, practice something visual. Vanishes, appearances, etc.. This could catch someone's eye and they will ask to see more. I don't normally do this, I like to sleep on flights, but I have. And I have even gotten shows at businesses due to doing this on a flight. I don't push the envelope when I do it. If the person is bored, then they wil be looking around and see it and ask you. This is the best way to go, in my opinion.
Just because some people wish not to perform on a plane doesn't mean it won't work for you.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
I don't want to get caught in the middle of this, but, I perform on the bus or tram on the way to or from work. I practice visual tricks queitly until someone shows interest, I ask if they want to see something, then I show them one trick and if they ask to see another I show them another but only if they ask. I find this is not a bad way of doing things because people are bored the same as in a plane. I am not bothering them because if they say no I just go on practicing and if they want to see more than one trick then they have to ask. Also even if they keep wanting to see them I wont run out of tricks because I only have like a 15 minute ride to work each day. This works for me maybe you might want to skip the plane and do this instead.

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Quick Tricks to Impress on a Plane Flight? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL