The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Quick Tricks to Impress on a Plane Flight? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I tend to agree that magic is best not performed on a flight. Saying that, I have performed magic on a plane but it was after I was noticed working on a new card routine. I gave a little 10 or 15 minute performance and then went back to my studies. That seems to me this is the best way to find out if your seatmates are interested in seeing a little magic or not. If they ignore you, you'll have a new trick ready when you get off the flight.
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
That sounds like a good way to do it derrick. That would probably sooth the two major problems that other posters had with this predicament. By just practicing and waiting to be asked you are not bothering anyone, also it will take time for someone to get the guts to pipe up so it wont be too early in the flight and you wont run out of tricks. Good work!
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Whenever I've performed on a plane,people still got up and walked out.
Gislain
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Gislain
I use my trusty IT reel and make apaper float on takeoff. I tell them that it is a gravity thing since we're going up so fast.
Love it
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I just flew back from Atlanta to Chicago. A guy, sitting about three rows forward from me was doing some magic. Scotch & soda was his biggie and I had to laugh as he had to keep getting up to go to the lavatory to "do the necessary" and then would come back and do the trick again - the SAME way.

After his fourth trip, the little blue-haired lady sitting across from him said, "I hope you get that bladder infection taken care of soon, young man!"

I almost sprayed the seat in front of me with the ginger ale I was drinking, especially as the flight is only about a 90 minute jaunt!

Just goes to show you that your choice of material is critical on flights like this!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lee thank you for sharing this sir.

It is this person who I feel does more harm than good as far as magic goes. It is also the second reason I don't want to perform under circumstances like this.

I don't want to fall into that catagory!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16970 Posts

Profile of joseph
Don't do coin tricks...Drop one, and good luck finding it... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I do coin tricks all the time. Coins are everywhere, and that's the point, however, on a plane, performing anything at all strikes me as counterproductive, as I noted in my earlier posts. On a flight of any length, you will run out of your 'A' list material rather quickly, then your 'B' list stuff and, let's face it, the 'C' and 'D' list stuff probably isn't ready for prime time, so why risk your reputation by showing it to anyone?

Sit back, read a good book, watch the movie, if any, or take a nap. I usually listen to a self-improvement CD because I have SO much to improve upon within myself!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I to tend not to perform on planes, unless of course my neighbour is very hot ;p
And I'll only perform to a friend, someone who has already seen my magic and I know wants to seem more, they'll often ask. From this, neighbours around can watch,listen and join in. It's hardly an ideal location though, one tiny table, people on all sides except forwards. I try to avoid it. I always feign reuctance, and generally this is true(at least initially) and I never perform for more than 10mins.
jolly12
View Profile
New user
PEI, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of jolly12
After I bought my first few tricks in orlando and had a few days of down time to practice it was time to head home. there was a little kid in front of us (id say 5 or 6) who wouldnt stop crying because his ears popped. so I got out my rising card deck and gave him a dose of that, followed by a shot of Svengali. he giggled for a bit then turned around happy.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
On a plane - it's got to be a levitation trick, followed by an invitation to join the mile high club to an appreciative air hostess. That's what I'd do anyway.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
56 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I only perform cold-reading when I'm on a plane. I'm of the DannyDoyle School of Aircraft Magicery, and hate having my already limited space eaten up by props. Do on or two effects, then turn away and go to sleep. You'll wake up a small time celebrity.

Danny
DannyCrook.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The Dannys and Lee have hit the proverial nail you know where. I can not imagine doing this on a plane. I guess we all were at a point at one time where we felt the need to constantly perform. Anyone who does this for a living probably does not feel this pressure anymore.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Quick Tricks to Impress on a Plane Flight? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL