We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bicycle Seconds? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
Is anyone familiar with these cards? Bicycle Seconds? I saw them on eBay and they seem to have a decent price. Says they are 808's. All they show are the sealed boxes...no cards. Was hoping maybe Jason or someone else that is really into the different decks can shed some light on them.

Thanks!

Michael
Michael

There are two groups of people that violate basic principles in any endeavor: idiots and experts. I tend to play poker with most of the idiots!

Partial paraphrase from Jason England comment
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1128 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Michael,

These cards are in a generic "Seconds" box. The cards contained in the box are usually seconds or over-runs. I have gotten many different backs with the various decks that I have purchased. On lucky occasions, I got some rarer backs.

Good luck,

Paul Green
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
Paul:

Thanks for the response! I had wondered if Seconds ment "seconds". I guess so. It's not a bad deal on six (6) decks, so I may check them out.

Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it!

Michael
Michael

There are two groups of people that violate basic principles in any endeavor: idiots and experts. I tend to play poker with most of the idiots!

Partial paraphrase from Jason England comment
durgy
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto
392 Posts

Profile of durgy
Whats a bicycle second?
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Aren't all bikes 'seconds' ? Smile
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
There was a discussion about this on the Café somewhere

Seems like these are supposed to be slightly inferior bikes and hence the seconds.
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Kiran
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Kiran
"Bicycle Seconds are the USPCC factory seconds. This means that the cards may have minor printing defects (i.e., the cards may be printed slightly off-centre), however, in our experience most of the decks are more than usable and if not are perfect for practicing"

from Magicbox.co.uk

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/exec.php/prod....../12086//
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-02-21 04:00, Roger Kelly wrote:
Aren't all bikes 'seconds' ? Smile
No. Magicians are the only ones who notice...the spectators don't give a rat's a**! Kiran, I've never seen a box design like that here in the U.S.A. Interesting!
:bikes: Smile Smile 4ever!
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Conus
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of Conus
Through a mutual friend, I was fortunate to have lunch with an extremely well-posted cardician, who used a deck of "Stud" brand cards while showing me a few tricks.

This last weekend, I used a deck of "Aviators" at a banquet. I have to think that no one really cares what type of cards you use.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-02-21 07:59, Conus wrote:
Through a mutual friend, I was fortunate to have lunch with an extremely well-posted cardician, who used a deck of "Stud" brand cards while showing me a few tricks.

Were they like the Stud brand four items down on this page?

http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/US......cks.html

I was thinking of getting some in fact. Did you handle them?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
willmorton
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of willmorton
I've had a couple of dozen Bicycle 808 seconds from Magicbox here in the UK. Most of them look and handled like full-price decks (aside from the different box of course), although some were printed VERY off-centre, some had too much ink on the backs (the back design was almost flooded) and some were cut quite roughly making it very hard to faro them. However, they are definitely great practise decks for most uses, and are a bargain to boot
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
I heard they are the decks that are printed during night while people don't inspect the printing.

I am yet to get my hands on some of these...
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of Conus
Quote:
Were they like the Stud brand four items down on this page?

http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/US......cks.html

I was thinking of getting some in fact. Did you handle them?

Yes. That's the brand...they are sold at gas stations and convenience stores. Nothing special -- the brand is generally considered "cards for public consumption." That's the point I was trying to make... he didn't use fancy cards, just run of the mill over-the-counter pasteboards.

Answer to your other question: Yes, I handled them...and he fried me!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I use Seconds all the time. It is true that some are slightly misprinted, but the spectators will never notice. The handle like "regular" Bikes, butthey are much cheaper!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
A case I bought at Sam's a while back was certainly irregular.
On the backs, the basic design was a little off center. As a result, one of the white borders on the long side was a little thicker than the other, and one of the borders along the short edge as as well. Since a lot of what Sam' s sells are discontinued and irregular items, I'm not all that surprised.

I posted about it here, and respondents seemed to think that spectators would never notice the diffrence.

MXRay
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Same here with Walmart. But not always. I call it "Walmart Roulette".

The last set of blue-backed Bikes was fantastic, but the red deck I picked up a week earlier was not just printed off-center, but seemingly cut on a bevel, so that the botttom cards were larger than the top.

At a buck and a half a pack, I won't complain. I look at it like I'm winning free gaffed decks...

Regards,

-jjg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bicycle Seconds? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL