The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » For Stand up.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
733 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Ok I am a close up magician, but have a real interest in Comedy stand up....I wonder could you guys who know let me no what are you best effects for getting big laughs for an adult comedy stand up set......

I am currently writing some material and wanted to know what are the best 'props' to work with?

many thanks
Ash
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Find the routines that set you up for humor that have been around for years and personaize them...(this will get you started)
perfect example is the bill in lemon which can be found just about anywhere (I recommend bill Malone series)
Look up some classic comedy routines and change them to your style and purpose and add some of your own jokes in with them. This is currently what I have been doing with:
color changing silks
six card repeat
bill in lemon
professors nightmare
card in mouth (there is A LOT that can be done here.) In fact, if you want, PM me and Ill will share my card in mouth routine I used as a closer to my half hour comedy magic show. I performed this trick about 4 times a day for a few months (hundreds of audiences.) Soon Im going to publish it but if anyone is interested before I do, I'd like to hear some feedback.
Hope this helps
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
mtso2000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mtso2000
Dick Stoner's "Grave Mistake," and Tom Vorjohan's "Tricks 4 Food" are some funny props that can help you deliver some good comedy and get good audience reactions.
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Ash,

If you have a real interest in Stand Up, why would you want to do magic tricks. Just keep writing. As a magician who often works with comedians, having 20 minutes of straight stand up is well worth the work and will serve you well.

Save the tricks for when you get hired as a magician.

Peter Gross
http://www.funnymagic.com
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
733 Posts

Peter thanks for your comments.

ok first, I love what you do and I think your performance proves how talented you are as a performer.
I have been writing stuff now for a few months I love stand up love it!! but I have never seen, at any comedy club, a stage performance of a magician who combines the magic with very witty humour. that was untill I saw your video....
What I wanted to do is hit some open mic nights on the uk stand up circuit combining my material with my mentalism/magic and just see how it goes down.

the thing is I have seen many comedians and magicians but DO NOT want my material to be a 'copy' of what other people have spent time creating.

I do not fully understand your comment about 'why would you want to do magic tricks?'

is that an aspect of your shows?? it seems to work real well....

One other thing..... Can you see it (the effect I have seen on the video) is one of the funniest things I have watched in a long time pure class....

Do you ever perform in the uk??

Regards
Ash
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
If you want to do stand up comedy in a club with magic (or any other performing art--Juggling), you should take some advice from people who frequent the busker forums. You have to have a strong wit and know what works with a crowd. Comedy Club crowds can be a lot like busking crowds. The focus a lot of times isn't about the tricks but on your personality. That is what sells it.

If you are looking for tricks to do, I would suggest edgier tricks, since most comedy club patrons expect edgier entertainment going to the club.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
733 Posts

What do you mean by 'edgier' tricks???
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
TTTT,
You will notice almost all the clips in my promo reel are from theaters and corporate situations. That's because it's these venues that expect and respond to comedy/magic entertainment.

At least here in the states, Comedy clubs and comedy club audiences expect just comedy; No props, no audience participation (unless you count audience work and hecklers). In fact, around here there is a lot of antagonism towards 'prop acts'.

So if you love comedy, and want to work clubs, my suggestion is focus on verbal comedy and take out the tricks when you get hired. This will also keep you unique becuase no matter how hard you work, if you are doing a bill to lemon and the guy last week did the same trick (even if all the jokes are different) most club owners and comics will see you as doing the same act. I'm not saying it's right or that all club owners care, but that's the perception.

Just one man's advice.

peter
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
733 Posts

Thanks peter now I understand what you meant and I see your point thanks for your view, its always good to hear from people in the know.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
By edgier,I meant more suited to blue material. Audiences often expect blue material.

Definately follow Peter's advice and aim for more verbal stuff. Even shock magic has been done before in the clubs.

The only thing I have really seen go over extremely well was a magician who used a lot of sight gags. It was extremely funny. But alas, it's been done so now others may say you are a copy. Comedy can be like that sometimes.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1077 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Peter, I just saw your video and I must say I absolutely LOVED it!
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Hi again, being blue helps is some cases but I have been able to avoid it with good clever humor.
I agree with peter in the sense that they are looking for comedy, this is why it has been taking me so long to find my material. My goal is to have the trick be the punchline. When you do a magic trick they get confused and even if they like the effect they were expecting to laugh and now you may get nothing.
While the bill in lemon is a hit in my comedy magic show, I wont use it in the clubs because the effect is "too magical" if that makes sense.

I would prefer a card to mouth, where, if done humorously, when the folded card comes out of the mouth, while it is the trick, it gets a laugh.

Another example is the baffling bra, or 20th century underwear, even though I hate these tricks, you can see how the effect becomes the punchline and laugh focal point.

Hope this helps

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
liljay510
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
102 Posts

Profile of liljay510
Michael Finneys DVD set is great...he has a couple of great routines on it....I am sure you can use some things out of there.
No matter How much you know you can never stop learning.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 11:17, liljay510 wrote:
Michael Finneys DVD set is great....I am sure you can use some things out of there.

lol... he won't mind.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
As much as I respect Peters comments and agree with a lot of what he said, I have to throw in my 2 cents.

First be yourself and do whats comfortable for you. If you want to use props use them. If you want to use jokes with magic do it. If you want to make a sandwich in the middle of your act do it. Only you can develop your own style and show. Then go out and perform it and see how it goes and learn from that. You will know if it's getting over with the crowd. Don't ever let anyone tell you who you are!

Look at someone like gallager with his props or carrot top which I don't really care for, but a lot of people love him. They are being who they are and doing very well! Don't be afraid to be what you want to be!

Good luck and have fun!

Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20183 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Peter is right in many instances. BUT there is a serious shift happening at least here in the states in many clubs. People can turn on TV at almost any time of day and find just stand up. A GOOD magic or prop act is really different.

I don't believe magic should be a huge part of any comedy club set. It needs to fool yes or its not magic, but it needs to be darned funny period. Plain and simple being funny is far more important than being magical. Not slightly more important FAR AND AWAY more important.

I agree with Peter, but would differ only on one small part. Keep writing, but write with your magic. Make it funny as you can. The tricks are superfulous in most comedy club settings. I don't care how bad you fool them, if they are not laughing you have failed.

As far as blue acts they have their place. BUT if you want to do corporate work you should avoid them like a blonde avoids showers at the Bates motel. You can book corporate work from club work. Most clubs of any size have people calling constantly for side work. Don't alienate people with your act. Also doing a magic act makes you a lot more versitle than straight stand up.

So in short be yourself, provided yourself is funny. If not then be someone who is funny.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Wow lots of good infor here. Thank you peter and danny for chiming in as we know you both have had much experience in this.
I said it before and Ill say it again, I believe the secret of having magic in your comedy club is have the TRICK BE THE PUNCHLINE.

newman12
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of newman12
Ive been doin stand-up in the cleveland area for about 5 months now and I must say that it's almost more work that learning magic. to get 5 minutes of really good stand-up means that you have to write close to 30 minutes worth of good material. mixing the 2 is a completley different story.

there is a lot that you learn from magic that can help greatly in comedy such as stage presence (probably one of the hardest things to learn, your persona and timing. I started doin magic to learn more about those few things that take a mediocre comedian into a great one (look at larry the cable guy, not the funniest but his persona and presance take him over the top).

as for doing magic in a comedy set, your are goin to encounter a lot more problems than just your standard comedian. starting with the fact that many club/bar owners are goin to see you as more of a magician that a comedian. you are goin to have to be a lot funnier than your average comedian to get a show (alot of that is how you market yourself too.) people are there to see stand-up, not magic wich is going to thow them off and you may automaticly turn people in the crowd off. if you have a lot of stand-up and just a few tricks (1-2 in a 10 minute set) than its goin to be a lot easier than if you are trying to incorporate magic into every joke you do. the other thing is to keep the tricks kind of simple, if the trick takes up 2 minutes than you may lose your audience, you have to keep everyones attention for the full time your onstage. for instance look at The Amazing Johnathan, he does between 4-5 tricks in a half hour set. I think he only did 3 in his comedy central show.

the last probelm that I could see you running into, is that you maybe seen as a hack. a lot of stuff is goin to seem similar to other magicians and comedians alike. as soon as you get that label, things get extremely difficult in terms of getting shows. the bar/club owner start to see you as someone who has to use your magic to hide the fact that your comedy isn't all that great whether its true or not.

as for the guys who mention the blue material...there is a saying in the comedy industry, if your set is really dirty, than it's a weak set. a few blue jokes are ok, but as dirty minded as I am I try to keep it to a minimum myself.

all in all, it's almost easier to market yourself as a funny magician, than it is to market as a comedian with magic in your routine. I hope all that helps, it maybe hard to decipher. I'm not great with my words unless rehearse it at open mics 3-4 times, rewrite and repeat the process.
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
I think that some people can perform a great act with props. it does depend on the venue and what else is going on at the event.
Magicjoe
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20183 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Newman with all due respect here you miss the point on a LOT of stuff.

If you are funny you are funny. The owner does not give a flying who ha how you get laughs, just get laughs. To tell the truth you will find he tends to hire people who may not be as funny, but for whatever reason the crowd the guy draws sells drinks!
I know owners who say, "yea he isn't that funny but I sell twice as many drinks every time he is here so I keep bringing him".

Make no mistake here the owner thinks of you as a comic or you are not on the stage period.

Your job is to keep the audience laughing and paying attention. The owners job is to sell as many drinks as humanly possible in a 2 hour period to said audience. Pretty sad but this is the relationship.

Odds are that the owner of the club has seen far more "hack" as you call them comics than he has "hack" magicians.

Make no mistake about it, step onto a comedy club stage and you had better get laughs. That is really all there is to it. A gross oversimplification YES! But the point is nobody cares how you do it, just so you do it.

Another thing to keep in mind is "if they like you, they will like what you do". You have about 30 seconds to capture an audience who is unfamiliar with you or your work. IF you can do that, the rest of the time will pass easily. IF you miss the deadline, you would rather be hung by your thumbs for that period of time.

In other words contemplate your opening.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » For Stand up.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL