The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Teaching Oneself About Probability and Statistics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Is there a website out there (or any good book) that one can go to in order to teach oneself about statistics and probability without having to take a college course?

Just curious.... Thanks!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2049 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
If you're looking for general concepts and real-world applications rather than heavy formulas and equations, I suggest two books: "What Are the Odds?" by Mike Orkin, and "Coincidences, Chaos, and All That Math Jazz" by Edward Burger and Michael Starbird.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not sure if it's still in print, but a fun easy basic read is How to Lie with Statistics by Huff.

Jack Shalom
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Hoodrat,

Probabilty and stat resources are usually on the expensive side. Sure you, can find some cheap things, but the knowledge in them may not be the best.

What is you're math background as of now? What are you going to apply this new knowledge to?

The answers to these questions will lead to more useful recommendations on my part.

-Craig
Who is John Galt?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27142 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Craig are you getting altruistic?

Anyone who wants to learn some math can find much of the basics via GOOGLE.

Not trying to be mean, just tired of seeing scattered efforts leading to non-standard deviations.

Or as they say, "lies, dam**d lies and statistics"

Let em work for it a little. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Jonathan,

Leave it to me to not remember GOOGLE. You're right, that's the best place to find a a primer on probability and stastistics.

Hoodrat, I would take Jonathan's advice and from there if you want to go further you could find some more sources.

....and as for me getting altruistic.....Smile
Who is John Galt?
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Hey, thanks landmark for that reference to "How to Lie With Statistics." I'm going to check that one out to see if it is still available and in print. Thanks, too, to Quinn for his suggestions that avoid the heavy-duty formulas, etc.

Not trying to be mean, but coincidentally I've read some other recent posts by Jonathan Townsend in other topics by other people where he comes across as "attacking", arrogant, and rude. With over 12,000 posts to his name, that means he's averaging 10 posts A DAY since he joined the Café in December of 2002. Ten freakin' posts a day!! Dude! Get a life!! (Again, to quote you, "I'm not trying to be mean"). Take it with a grain of salt. Smile
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Hoodrat,

I know you really wanted websites, but if you're also open to books, try Larry Gonick and Woollcott Smith's "Cartoon Guide to Statistics." If you want a basic (just the starter concepts) book with simple exercises, try "Chances Are - the Only Statistics Book You'll Ever Need" by Stephen L. Slavin.

I program with SAS, a statistics language, so I've had to review a little myself.

Dean
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Another good intro book is "How to Think About Statistics" by John Phillips.
Your local library may have this title.
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Hoodrat,
I know you said online, free, etc., but thought I'd pitch a series of course I recently took from Converse College at http://blackboard.scetv.org/online/courses/. They offer basically home study courses in Stats/prob, calculus, pre-calc, and several others for $399 each. You get a complete course on video/DVD, and go online to enter quiz and final exam answers. When you finish they award you 3 hours graduate credit. Nice system, great way to learn- at least for me. No, I don't work for them- but I've taken 3 courses so far, and plan to take more.
Bob
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Bob,

Thanks for that link! I like stuff like that. I have taken one course through Barnes & Noble University online -- they are totally free, but they don't count as college credits. I don't have their website address handy, but a quick search in Google will bring them up, if you're interested.

Thank you to all who have posted INFORMATIVE and HELPFUL replies to my initial question. Much appreciated!
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Hi
A great place for reading up is wikipedia

Probabilities

Statistics

Take care

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
135 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
A bit late, and a bit specific, but if you want a great intro to Bayes' probability Theorem/Bayesian inference, http://yudkowsky.net/bayes/bayes.html is a good place. Warning though... lotsa java, so may cause your browser to implode.
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Hoodrat,
Another great place to buy good stats intro is The Learning company, at:

http://www.teach12.com/ttc/assets/course......hematics

They have many courses on DVD, CD, etc. They just came out with "Meaning from Data: Statistics Made Clear
." I have not seen this particular course, but have several other courses of theirs- calculus, quantum physics, physics in everyday life, biology and human behavior- and love them all. Don't pay full price, wait a month or so and each one goes on sale at significant discount. You can also find many at large libraries and thru inter-library loans.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There's a great article about Bayes' theorem called Probability As Logic that should be read by everyone interested in studying probability. This article links to some excellent free ebooks on the topic, as well!

(Click highlighted text for link)
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
This PDF is very thorough and I think you will find all you want there:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teachin.......mac.pdf

/Tomas
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Thanks, Tomas, for the link to the PDF file. I downloaded it and will look it over. Thanks, too, to everybody else who has taken time to post helpful links and replies. They've been helpful! Thanks.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Chances Are: Adventures in Probability, just published, is a fascinating read for laymen on statistics and probability theory. Only $17 (or available from your public library). Well-written with many real world examples that vividly illustrate the principles.
Highly recommended!
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
David43
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of David43
I second or third "How to Lie With Statistics", I read it at school and I've never looked at a graph or table in a newspaper/ book etc quite the same since. Its a book everyone should read, a real eye-opener.

David
I Put a Spell On You
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 23:39, Scott Cram wrote:
There's a great article about Bayes' theorem called Probability As Logic that should be read by everyone interested in studying probability. This article links to some excellent free ebooks on the topic, as well!

(Click highlighted text for link)

Some of the links on that page have expired. However, you can still obtain the first three chapters of ET Jaynes' book "Probability as Logic" for free from this link:

http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/prob/book.pdf

Some more info here:

http://bayes.wustl.edu/

To be honest, Jaynes' book may not be well suited for the casual reader.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Teaching Oneself About Probability and Statistics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL