The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix backfire routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In my notes (82-83), I have the coins suddenly appearing with the THIRD coin as an O'Henry Assembly. Probably very easy these days using what Mike Gallo sells as a Siamese Coin. He probably has a routine like this on his video too.

Agreed that in the context of an assembly, all back to where they started seems right to call a backfire (of the assembly effect). For a coins across, a backfire would be the last coin not traveling and instead the other three return.

Anybody applied Kainoa's Punctuated Equilibrium ideas to a Coin Assembly routine?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
Paul Cummins "Up In Smoke" DVD has a standard assembly that resembles Chink-a-Chink followed by a very visual backfire. It uses a custom gaff,but is very magical.
magictrickstur
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magictrickstur
Homer Liwags has a shadow coin backfire that appeared in the magicman examiner. very cool!!
magictrickstur
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

He called it FlashRice. I'm not quite sure why he named it that but it's a very cool and visual thing.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The art and write ups in MME are entertaining. Look at the fingernails and the props on the floor in the Flash Rich illustrations.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magictrickstur
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Well homer is an excellent illustrator.

the MME has the same feel as Chris Kenner's book totally out of control.
Dr Marvin
View Profile
New user
Florida
91 Posts

Profile of Dr Marvin
Homer Liwag's Flash Rice is a instant assembly!

Dr Marvin
2-22-06
magictrickstur
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Instant assembly = Back fire
the coins assemble then go back.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Quote:
On 2006-02-22 19:26, Dr Marvin wrote:
I always thought the 3 coins joining one coin was an instant assembly. And a backfire was when all the coins went back to there original places.

Dr Marvin
2-22-06

I ment That you Are at the point in the routine where the frist 2 coins Had all ready
come over And you lift the last card to show the 4th. coin And say it will come over
to join the outher 3. But that does not happen The 3 coins ( That are now under one card) Jump to join coin no. 4! the Idea comes from A card assembly routine!
And Instand Assembly Is when All 3 coins ( that are one under each card)All Jump over
at the same time! THEN you show that all 4 coins are under the frist card! Marlo frist had this I Think in a 1965 tops magic mag. Ok Hope this helps! Smile

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Ha interesting!

I always think "backfire" is you make (or apparently make) the coins go to a corner and suddenly they all go back to the corners. While "instant assembly" is the coins in the 4 corners suddenly assemble in a corner. Anyway...

Curtis Kam also has one backfire matrix routine in his Palms of Steel 3 DVD. It uses a somewhat standard and quick matrix routine in the beginning as a start, then "do it again" but with a backfire instead. IMO it is a pretty nice idea.

And I have to say the coolest matrix I saw is by Shoot Ogawa -- W-matrix, in which he does a matrix and a backfire SIMULTANEOUSLY with 2 hands. Awesome~!
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
magictrickstur
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Dr marvin is correct. It was late when I mad my post. Also when coins are going every which way but loose it hard to keep up with it all.

So coins assemble one at time into one corner. then they all go instantly from that corner back to thier original positions is a backfire.

Now once back in four corner potition they instatnly go to the recieving corner at once ! Well that an instant assembly.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Quote:
On 2006-02-22 19:52, Chris S wrote:
I agree. It makes more sense that way - the coins are "firing back" to their original position. I don't understand why an instant assembly would be considered a backfire at all.

Chris there is a version of this in Michale Ammars coin magic Volume 2 (I belive)

It requires a gimmick... But you can make it yourself at home... It's a real fooler,
to those who a familiar with the orginal matrix..

I think it's called "Snappy"

Shawn.
Shawn.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Quote:
On 2006-02-23 00:47, info2victor wrote:
Ha interesting!

While "instant assembly" is the coins in the 4 corners suddenly assemble in a corner.

Yea That's what I said. Sorry if it did not come out that way!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
magictrickstur
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

I think we're all on the same page now.
kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
I enjoy Ray Kosby's on his DVD. You can end up with an extra load of coins!
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
A few years ago, I learned a backfire Matrix from Aldo Columbini using a palmed Siamese quarter plus 4 borrowed quarters. It is easy to do and it fools, but it is very quick....it is over almost before there is time for it to register in the spectator's brain. Still, I like it for a simple, uncluttered effect.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I've always liked John Kennedy's "Translocation" coin effect (sort of like the ghost coins), which included a backfire developed by Mark Lefler.

You can find it in John Kennedy's lecture notes #3 (1985) and on the vhs video "Shell Shocked" by Barry Taylor.

Douglas M.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Quadra Coin reverse Matrix is my favorite Matrix routine (4 different ungimmicked coins). It can be found on my 1986 lecture DVD. Ultimate Reverse Matrix takes the QCRM one step further, and is on the COINvention DVD (and was supposed to be a New Stars of Magic release 20 yrs ago. My two card reverse matrix is on the knockout coin magic DVD, and in my COINvention lecture notes.)
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Not to be a nudge about the terminology, but the trick that started all of this was Paul Gertner's, published in the late 70's or early `80's as I recall, and he called it a "REVERSE assembly" or "Reverse Matrix".

In selecting a reverse matrix routine, one thing to consider is whether the third coin is ever shown to have vanished. I think this is essential for the reversal to be a complete surprise. It is the vanish of the third coin that completes the spectator's expectation of seeing all four coins in one corner. Without this, the reverse is just a matter of two coins moving about.

You can find my solution to this, and other picky aspects of the reverse assembly, on "Palms of Steel 3: Silverado". I haven't counted them all, but I'm betting that my "Inverted Matrix" has the dubious distinction of involving more moves than any other reverse.

Other good ones are those by Dr. R above and Mark Lefler's "Reversi" from the introduction to Richard Kaufman's Collected Almanac.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix backfire routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL