The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jinx by Andrew Normansell ---Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
What they say...

Imagine a prediction effect that is totally baffling, is completely hands-off, gives the spectator absolute freedom throughout! Works in cabaret or close up and is always correct….sound good?

It's also 100% self working!

A deck of cards is freely and thoroughly shuffled by a spectator, who then selects a totally random card whilst the deck is in their own hands. The selection is then revealed to match your prediction….that has been on FULL VIEW throughout!

Very easy to do!

The most UNBELIEVABLE prediction EVER!

Price: £12.99

Difficulty =1 (based on a 1 to 5) (self working, spec does everything)

I am probably one of the first to recieve this effect from Alakazam and I must say that I like it. I like it alot. The concept is simple, a typical why did I not think of that effect, but never the less good. It is a gaffed deck but a spec will not realise, and they can be shown front and back fairly shuffled. The spec does all the shuffling and the cutting, and you just gather the cards back up at the appropriate time and the top card will always match the prediction in the envelope that has been in full view the whole time.

I love prediction effects so this is why Jinx appealed to me so much.

I give this an 8 out of 10.

Printed on Bicycle decks. I recieved Blue.

Any further questions then please ask.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I must question part of the blurb that states the selection is made by the spec whilst in their own hands. This will not be the case everytime. However, the alternative is just as strong.

Their are also different presentation ideas, where for instance instead of an envelope you have the prediction in your wallet (different colour back)etc.
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Pegasus,

Thank you for the excellent review! "Jinx" sounds like a great effect; I am more eager than ever to receive my copy from Alakazam. Hopefully, that will be in the next few days.

Tom
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Im looking forward to purchasing my copy at Blackpool. This sounds like a great effect, and at such price you cant really go wrong.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Blackpool is going to be great, just a shame I live on the south coast. Get your selves over to Peter Nardi who will be glad to demo this for you. You will all like this one.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Does the spectator picks the card face-up or face down ?
Is the outcome everytime the same or different ?

Sounds good though.

Frans
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
Normal deck? Or just a simple force deck trick?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Wise owl, pegasus states above that it's a gaffed deck.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Jinx is nice and simple and the impact should be very good.

It does rely on chance...a bit. That chance doesn't mean the trick has failed, it just means there are a couple of minor things to say and for the spectator to do...no biggie but that event could throw less confident performers.

There are suggested alternatives to the final reveal and I plan on employing one of them. It's an easy make but if you are all thumbs you can buy these simple little "somethings" at a relatively low cost.

This isn't ground breaking stuff and there are other ways of generally achieving the same effect (obviously) but this is a workable alternative that allows for a particular "flavor of cleanness" that some performers might well find reassuring.

This does rely upon a gaff deck and isn't examinable in any thorough way but the cards are shown to the spectator in a casual way at the beginning and if done while in a flurry of a small amount of activity and patter, no one should see anything unusual. (No switches or moves at all)

The spectator then shuffles the cards (riffle or overhand...it doesn't matter) and they are also invited to cut the deck once or twice, more if they like. The cutting is done face down. When the spectators shuffling and cutting is done, THEY turn over the top card. You then prove that it was this card you previously foresaw by taking the same one out of an envelope, which was in full view the whole time.

As I said, this isn’t an Earth-shattering technological innovation but it is very workable and does allow the spectator to do ALL of the selection work.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Thanks for the reviews guys.

Jinx was a complete sell out for us at the Blackpool convention. Almost all that witnessed it purchased one! We have just made up a new batch and now have them in stock.

Regards

Peter
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Thanks Peter, I'll have to look into this! You always seem to make me spend more money....

Tom, is this 'cleaner' in your opinion than using say, a WIll De Sieve gimmick?
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
Just wondering...Is there a huge difference that makes this worth using a gaffed deck as opposed to a using a normal deck, palming a card, and setting it on top during a quick square up and then letting them turn over the top card?
kusoyon
View Profile
New user
Muskegon, Michigan
77 Posts

Profile of kusoyon
Hi Troops!
Where can I buy this here in the States or in the U.K.?
Thanks,
Frank Thomas
"The closer you look; the less you see"
H. Blackston Jr.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
(Only) Alakazam has it. I'm sure you know where to find them.

Frans
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Just for the record, Jinx is nearly identical in plot and methodology to David Regal's bestselling Prophecy Pack, which is being sold by Meir Yedid. Evidently, Andrew Normansell and Peter Nardi were not aware of David's classic effect and apparently didn't do a thorough research before launching the product. I notified my friend David Regal as well as Peter Nardi (who hasn't responded to me, though).

However, according to David Regal, Peter Nardi handled the situation quite admirably and I sincerely congratulate him on this. With so much material on the market, it's difficult to be completely thorough on research. Even David Regal has marketed an item that turned out to be someone else's. But when that happens it's important to be humble and do the right thing.

It's not my place to divulge the details of that agreement, but it is extremely honorable and generous. Again, since I called attention to the similarity of the two products, I feel that I had to call attention to Peter's outstanding integrity.

Also, for the record and for those who are curious, Jinx incorporates a double-face card. David's version does not use this and both David and I feel that it is not necessary. David uses a single card. (If you have Jinx or Prophecy Pack, you'll know what I'm talking about.) For those interested in the original and brilliant version by David Regal, you can purchase the Prophecy Pack from your favorite dealer and/or watch it on David's Premise, Power and Participation volume 2 DVD and learn how to make your own Prophecy Pack.

-- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I want to confirm that Peter Nardi and I have worked things out - his actions impressed both me and Meir.

My "Prophesy Pack" doesn't use a card as a prediction at all (although it could, if one chose to). I generally write the prediction on the back of a business card that remains in full view, or it is given to a spectator to hold, and then later read. No "out" is needed. It is the trick that made a reputation for me when I moved to California from the East Coast, and has been sold by Meir Yedid for over ten years. As Jheff said, I also explain it on one of my L&L DVDs.

On two, not one, previous occasions I've put something on the market that turned out to be similar to another effect. In both cases, when informed, I contacted the party and talked through (or emailed through) the matter. And in both cases I had instruction booklets re-printed to reflect the new crediting.

It's easy to get emotional about these things (I do), but they happen. What is most important is how they are dealt with, and Peter could not have been more willing to do the right thing.

http://www.regalmagic.com
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I was just going to mention that this sounds like something David Regal would come up with, but he beat me to it.....Like David's effects....easy to do and really kicks butt.... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Sheba
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sheba
Andrew Normansell now has a new trick available 'Trick Cyclist'. For details see his website at http://www.AndrewNormansell.com.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I am not sure why Alakazam market this as a new effect I bought this at least 3 Blackpools ago from Andrew himself, it is a good effect but I already had prophecy deck so no real difference.
Pomyles
View Profile
New user
Here
79 Posts

Profile of Pomyles
A friend of mine performed David Regal's version for me. I must admit that is rather bold but so well constructed ! Nice effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jinx by Andrew Normansell ---Review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL