The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Black Envelope/ rip- off (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I purchased this wonderful dvd ,the effect is simple and very startling my hat went off to Bob Kohler . I have since changed my mind about B K he offers replacement envelopes at a price of eight envelopes for 10 bucks,
these are ordinary envelopes . you talk about ripping off the magic community. I now put him in the same catagory as David "15 bucks for autograph" Copperfield
vinny,
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
Hey vinsmagic

If the effect is that strong and you like it - and therfore know the secret - why not make envelopes yourself?

MikeM Smile Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I thought about making the envelopes, but after seeing the weight of the paper (plus the fact that it is black), I found it impossible to get locally, in spite of having a Staples and Office Max in town. Then I thought...since I do my own marketing, set up my own show, why would I spend even more prep time?
Yeah, the price is high...but my time is costly too. It's just not worth the effort.
Coram Deo
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
I suggest getting that style of envolope from target/walmart/anywhere you can find them. Then opening it up and tracing it on black construction paper and glueing the seams in the same places they did when they made the origional envelope.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Quote:
On 2002-11-23 23:21, Ben721 wrote:
I suggest getting that style of envolope from target/walmart/anywhere you can find them. Then opening it up and tracing it on black construction paper and glueing the seams in the same places they did when they made the origional envelope.

Good idea Ben721!

Cheers,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
fwee
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of fwee
I don't have Black Envelope but I understand the DVD comes with a number of envelopes. Why would you need to make additional envelopes? Do you give out the envelope at each performance or do they wear out?

-Fred
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
The five enveopes supplied should last you quite a few years. Personally, I did not distroy one envelope to help create the "gimmick" as suggested. I used a sheet of black construction paper. The color wasn't a perfect match, but I found I had no "flashing" problem anyway.
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Profile of Devils Advocaat
...And speaking of (non-standard) envelopes, anyone in the UK who has 'Special Delivery' will find it impossible to obtain the type of envelopes supplied (in the UK, at least). When I purchased the effect many months ago, I was told by the dealer that the envelopes were readily available down the high st. because he'd bought some. In his dreams maybe.

Frank. Smile
"My Karma ran over my Dogma..."
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Hey Frank, I found the envelopes in the uk at masons the well known stationary store they have bought the exclusive rights to black envelopes hope this helps
Trevor Smile
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Hey Thanks Trevor. I'll check them out soon. I'm busy at the moment working on a new thing, it involves a peanut, an olive and a die. And possibly an extra-thick card with moving parts. I'll keep you posted.

Frank. Smile
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
I am interested in the nut you are using is it a standard type because i remember a similar routine by Kernel somebody.....
:firedevil:
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

...All I can say is that the olive is brass, and the die is washable. The peanut is in fact a shell.

Frank. Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Let me say this the envelopes are 5in, by 3in. I purchased many envelopes and cut them down to size ,, My point is I like to hand the envelopes out to the as souviniers, My origional statement was that Bob Kholer is ripping us off at 10 bucks a pop for 8 envelopes,,,
the envelopes are easy to make I do not like getting raped
vinny
Come check out my magic.

braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
"getting raped" when did that become a volunteered action? Because buying the envelopes is. If they arent worth it to you thats fine but comparing it to a forced violent sexual act is just plain WRONG!!
I personally understand that somethings can be expensive to manufacture and market espiecaily when they are being sold through a distributor, I assure you that Mr. Kohler is personally getting less than $2.50 for the 10 envelopes you buy. That wont be making him rich anytime soon. He is offering them as a service to people to busy or lazy to make them.
Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Maybe I should not usesd the term raped. that was little to strong. I went to kin kos and to order this particular size I would have to order 100k envelopes, I found that by using old christmas card envelopes cutting them down to size and glueing the bottoms the trick works just fine. When
one is working resturants and doing this effect it can become pretty expensive,,,,,,,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Rip off! You've got to be kidding.I think BK's Black Envelope is great value.Bob Kohler has delivered a brilliant piece of magic on a DVD with 5 great routines ,explanations of sleights and 5 props all for $25-00.Unbeleivable!
What's all the fuss about making new envelopes.Certainly give away the signed card,thats a good keepsake of the event but the envelope?Nothing has really happened to it{torn and restored etc.]Perhaps you could sign it with a black marker and hand it out.
If a person wants to give away a deck of cards after a trick that's his responsibility not the originator of the trick.
Rusty
View Profile
New user
England
77 Posts

Profile of Rusty
I agree - and whats all this rubbish about the envelopes - i picked up some a1 size sheets of black art paper from my local art shop at 59p per sheet - and it's EXACTLY the same paper - i have made over 30 envelopes out this paper and have had not one single problem - they are soooo easy do make!!!. I love the effect and perform it every day - winner!!!!!

P.S i have used the same envelopes also - they last for aaagggeessss - whats the problem???????? Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Bob is a working pro and A+ manufacturer who doesn't have a lot of time to sit around making envelopes. He sells them as a service because, as you found out, you have to buy large quantities of the paper (which is a special-quality paper).

There is no need to hand the envelope out anyway. If you don't, then you're set because the envelopes will last a long, long time.

If you must hand them out, just make them yourself out of a lower quality paper. I think Bob even suggested construction paper. The specky doesn't care abt the quality of the paper.

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
oops i think some folks are taking this all a little TOO serious as for the DVD it is very good althuogh the production i.e. the sound in places is very poor quality.
:rotf:
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Hey Vinny, maybe you missed something here. Bob is offering replacements - if you do not want to make them yourself -. That is the key. You have to decide how valuable your time is, do you have an hour or two to sit down and make them up, or would you rather pay someone else to provide them to you ready made. You cannot expect anyone to make up something and then give it away for nothing. It is a service that Bob is offering, if you decide to buy them fine, if not, that is fine too, but it is not fair to say it is a rip off.
Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Black Envelope/ rip- off (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL