The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and String Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Hello all.

I'm sure this has been posted about many times... (For the life of me, I can't seem to find the search feature.)

Anyway, I'm looking for a ring and string routine... I have seen a couple out there,
IE, Bob Kings, Greg Wilsons...

I want something with a real punch....

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Shawn.
Shawn.
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Small rings/finger rings: Greg Wilson's Ring Leader. Four-inch rings: Eric Decamps' Stars of Magic dvd and or Flip's dvd.

dug
Deckless Wonder
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I'll second the vote for Mr. Wilson.

One caveat... if you buy the velvet cord on your own, make certain the "nap" runs crosswise and not lengthwise, or the ring(s) will fight you when sliding "against the grain".

Regards,

-jjg
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Thanks for the advice jgravelle....

Doesn't Ringleader come with a string?

Thanks.

Shawn.
Shawn.
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
When you rich guys buy it new, yes.

When a poor guy driving a ten year old Ford picks it up used, he's gotta find his own d*mn velvet cord... Smile

Regards,

-jjg
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
LOL!!!!!

I'm not rich by any means....

Now that I think of it though... I'd probably have a lot more money
if I didn't pick up such an expensive habit..
Shawn.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
If you're looking to save a few buck get the L and L Finger Ring DVD instead. It's got a lot more material, different effects, different artists and it's only twenty bucks.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
One of the very best dvds or videos is Bob miller's Relentless ring and string routine... for larger rings.
Aldo Colombini,
Mark Levedrige,
Flip,
Tabary, and
Willie Wessel
are other sources besides the ones already mentioned.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-02-23 13:55, wsduncan wrote:
If you're looking to save a few buck get the L and L Finger Ring DVD instead. It's got a lot more material, different effects, different artists and it's only twenty bucks.

Does one need to be proficient in the kind of sleights used in coin magic to derive any benefit from this DVD? I remember many years back reading and learning a 'ring on string' effect taught by Walter Gibson (in one of his books; I forget which)... no sleights but a wonderful effect and baffling to spectators
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
If you are looing to save bucks go to the public library.. if you want to become proficient in ring and string look at my previous post..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Quote:
...taught by Walter Gibson...

Good stuff.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ Yes, for sure! I can't remember the name of the book but his introduction to and handling of the ring on string effect lives long in my memory: getting a ring onto a string whose ends are held by two spectators! Wonderful stuff!
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Thanks for the recommendation Vinny.... I will look in to this as well..

Does any one know about this effect by Walter Gibson.. Sounds great..

Shawn.
Shawn.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ I'd love to be reminded of what book it is in too! Smile Still remember how to do it, but it'd be nice to have the book again.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I just ordered the dvd from L&L publishers called Worlds Greatest Magic, Finger Ring magic. Also got the one on Professional Rope Routines. $20 a piece is not bad and right now they are giving away a cd with any order.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......ucts_new
Daniel Faith
Buddy_815
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Buddy_815
Daniel Faith,

It is a great deal on a great dvd. I got the Finger Ring one a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome. Full of wonderful material all from top notch Pro's. Good choice!

-Buddy
Zargo
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Zargo
I love to do the routine from Bob Miller "the relentless ring and string routine" and for the ending slightly modified with Darlys Handling where the ring comes of the string and sticks on a wand, strohhalm and suchlike while the spectators are holding the ends of the string and wand (saw it on the fooler dooler DVD series)

Greetings, Marko
Magic by Marko (Zauberer, Trick Artist from Germany)
"Its kind of fun to do the impossible"!
(Walt Disney)
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
If you could possibly get hold of the June 1977 issue of M-U-M, I'd highly recommend you check out Sam Schwartz's "Ring On, Ring Off" Routine on page 23. It consists of five effects "Karate Ring On", "The Elevator Release", "Lightning Link 1 & 2" and "Knotted Ring Release". It is quite smooth and relatively easy to master.

Paul
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Quote:
On 2006-02-25 14:19, Cranial Fermentator wrote:
If you could possibly get hold of the June 1977 issue of M-U-M..........

It may also be found on pages 198-201 in the book, "SAM's The Magic of Sam Schwartz" by Allen Zingg published in 2003.
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
Personal Humble Opinion: Unless you have a personal STYLE need for Wilson's velvet chord, I think it's a waste. I have Wilson's Ring Leader (great video). I tried using the velvet chord and I find it difficult to work with in some of my sleights. Ring and String is one of my showcase pieces, and I use 4mm climbers chord with the internal strands pulled out. Colorful, very flexible, and I can buy it by the yard for about 50 cents a foot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and String Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL