The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » ICue 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I thought I read on one of these threads that the Icue 2 shows a different read out other than just the track # 1, 2 and so on. I thought I read that it shows what is actually read on the Ipod...as in the track name i.e. rain forest sound effect. If someone could provide me some info on this I would really appreciate it...thanks!

Smartini
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
The Great Smartini,

In the ICUE 2 its an add-on. You have to spend $400 dollars more for an LCD display.

G0thike
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I was surprised at how visible the new Vacuum Florescent display is. I thought the actual font size would be so small that it would be limited to short distances ... boy was I wrong. It is easily seen from a reasonable performance distance with sufficient contrast for a stage setting. Needless to say, I was impressed. Just my observation.

Dan.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I had the opportunity to use the iDisplay, and it's VERY visible. Those different brightness levels are just that...BRIGHT! The ability to change the size of the display with the push of a button is wonderful, too!

Steve
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1075 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Just now playing with my new iCue2, ankle remotes, and iPrompter display.

I have a question for you iCue2 users.

Here's my situation:

Before I was going out from my computer with a stereo (headphone) jack to a 1/4" plug, right into my Anchor Extreme system.

However, on my new iCue2 system, I'm not supposed to use a "Y" connector....I'm supposed to keep the channels separate.

So, are all of you in this situation going straight from the iCue into a direct (DI) box, and then into your system with an XLR cord? That's what Kelly recommended.
I can't go straight into the Anchor Extreme system with RCA plugs.
And I don't have two 1/4" inputs available, either.

I would like to keep all of this simple, without cords running all over the place.

Any help is appreciated!
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Is there any harm in trying out the "Y" connector to see what happens?

All My PAs have RCA or I use a mixer.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Tim,

Got your phone call from earlier, and I'm going to call ya back, promise. Right now, I'm between gigs (iCue2 worked FLAWLESSLY this morning for a crowd of 476 kids!)...but I think now I understand what you're gonna ask me.

I do know one guy who bought one and used a "Y" connector. According to Kelly (Duro, of course), the audio line can "clamp down" if the audio (particular track) is too loud or active. I use an Anchor "Explorer Pro" speaker/amp, and I have RCA jacks in the back, so I don't have that problem. Next time I have to drag out the Peavey MP4 amp with the 2 Peavey 112 speakers, however, I will need a DI box...

I'd go with what Kelly recommends...the iCue is from his hands, and he knows it best!

Steve
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Tim Hannig & others,

The answer is to change your recordings to mono and then plug in the one jack. You can do this right in ITunes.

Works great you just will not have true stereo, plus the size of the file will get even smaller.

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
You do have to be careful when mixing down to stereo. On occasion, you could lose part of one track or the vocals if you have any phase issues, or end up with just the vocals without the music.

I do need to find a way to raise the volume going into my iPod, however...anybody more digitally-inclined out there have better ideas? iTunes just isn't doing it for me.

Steve
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1075 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
James,

Most of my recordings are in mono, but I didn't think that mattered.

I thought Kelly was recommending this for a different reason.

That aside, are you saying you are going out of the iCue with a single mono stereo plug to a 1/4" plug?

performbettershows.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Tim,

I know why Kelly is saying not to use a Y-adapter. Because the iCue 2 (and the iCue Duo I use) have a pre-amplifier in them, the sound can become distorted if you use a Y-Adapter. Because of the pre-amp, you over drive the system. I know this because I was having that very problem with my iCue Duo. One of my main pieces of music was over-driving my smaller PA's and the bass sounded "fuzzy."

My solution to this point has been to use the RCA jacks on my smaller PA's. I do want to experiment with other options. I have a DI box but that didn't help because it only has a single 1/4" input so I still have to use the adapter.

Michael
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Tim,

I am using the "Red" RCA plug out of the unit with a RCA to Male Mono 1/4" jack on my smaller portable system as it does not have stereo in on it. The White RCA plug is not used in this configuration. On my larger Rack system I can go complete stereo.

James
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Are there any other digital displays you can use. I have the one built into my Icue2. I am just wondering is there any place where you can buy an extra display (bigger one)?

Thanks
Bairefoot
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Go to the http://www.virtualsoundman.com site and see the displays. I use the iPrompter, which shows the actual name of the track playing. It's also for use with the new MINI-iCue2...called the Mi-Cue. Didn't you get a card in the mail talking all about the Mi-Cue? Got mine last week!

Steve
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Yes I did. I asked him if he had any more products coming out before I bought the Icue he told me no and the lady I spoke to said no. Now this is out. I was just wondering is there anything made thaqt can be used as a digital display the our Icue can be hookded into.

Bairefoot
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
We have had the icue2 for a couple of months now and love it. We incorporate a lot of music and other special sound affects in our shows and it works fantastic! It is worth every penny!

Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I wouldn't start fiddling around and hacking inside something that well-made! The iPrompter is especially great to go with the Mi-Cue, since it doesn't have any display of its own. That would make for a VERY small sound system. I use the iCue2 AND the iPrompter. iCue2 mounts (via velcro) on TOP of the "pole mount" and the iPrompter attaches (again, via velcro) to the underside of the "pole mount"...and all is on the single speaker stand, or the one to the right of the stage.

Michael, are you looking for strictly the track number info, or the track INFO? Your iCue has the number display...and usually, that's enough, but the iPrompter will (depending on which font size you use) give track info, track time and track number. I just use the track name in the largest size it has, and the number is on the iCue itself.

Wonderful gadget to have!

Steve
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I was trying to have just a display of the track their numbers father away in front of me instead of the side. I use a fender passport 250 it sets in front of the stage. I was trying to put the monitor to the front of me farther away.

Thanks
Bairefoot
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
You can get a LOOOONG cable for the iPrompter...Kelly (Duro) included one with mine when I got it. It's about 20 feet, and I'm sure he can make a longer one if you need it. I've never had to use the LONG one...not yet, at least. Then you can put the iPrompter in front of you if you needed it. It'll show the display in different ways, whatever you like. I just prefer the track title (whatever your iPod shows is on the screen) in largest size. It's also illuminated in several different levels...you choose with the touch of a button.

Steve
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1075 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I also have the iPrompter, and it is very readable, even from far away.

I think Kelly said you could read it from 35 ft away easily. I haven't measured, but haven't had any problems.
Tonight I was on a stage and had the iPrompter about 15-20 feet away, at the smallest font (out of three sizes), and it was great.

performbettershows.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » ICue 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL