The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ice From Water by Andrew Gerard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
sharpace
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sharpace
Anyone have seen Ice From Water by Andrew Gerard , is it only good for TV show. Please help. I am so interested on this one.
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
I saw this trick at Cyril's season 2 and 3 DVD. Best used in bar situations. But I thought Cyril actually produce crushed ice instead of cube ice.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Andrew was kind enough to send me a copy of this for review, along with 'Key Accessory', which I reviewed elsewhere in the forum.

Down to the matter at hand, 'Ice from Water'. This is a very difficult effect to review, because it is so very simple, and the method is so close to the effect.

Basically, the ad reads true. You reach into a glass of water with empty hands, and produce an ice cube, then another, then several. So the effect is accurate, but what about the method, and the practicality of said method?

The principle at work here is not new, I have seen it before, just never in a magic effect. In fact was trying to accomplish the same effect via the same method, but I couldn't get it to work. Andrew did.

There is some preparation, and this preparation takes some time. Because of this, don't expect to be doing this 'street' style without some deep thought and preparation. However, for a more formal show this is great. I, in fact, have already determined how to do this at one of my favorite restaraunts for friends and clients that I entertain there.

The illusion is remarkable. You reach in to an obviously empty glass of water, with and obviously empty hand, and produce ice. It is stunning, and you WILL fool yourself with this one. In fact, I can see many of you doing this exclusively for your own amusement for the first few days you have it. I know I did.

Like all of Andrews other stuff, this one is a real worker. This is the real thing. No fluff filler or pipe dreams here. The routine has been fleshed out through 1000's of real life performances, and the polish shines throughout.

I can't reccommend this highly enough. Even if it won't suit your performing venue, it is worth owning to do when the oppurtunity arises. Entertaining guests at home, or meeting with an important client to really seal that gig.

I don't use the term 'reputation maker' often, but Ice from Water is surely worthy of that title.

Sean
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Sean,

Can it be done close-up with a clear glass of water or does it have to be done with a bowl of water?

Without touching upon the methodology, can the preparation be done within a fairly short period of time before the actual presentation and is the necessary preparation within the reach of most, if not all, types of performers and levels of expertize?

Thank you very much.

Michael

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:40pm
------------------------------------------
Sean,

Again without disclosing the methodology, is the preparation practical for restaurant work and other informal venues?

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Michael,

The preparation will take some time; a couple of hours, but you are then set to perform indefinitely.

The preparation is brain dead simple. You really needn't do anything. There isn't much more I can say without tipping the method, but the preparation is easy.

The effect can certainly be done in a clear glass of water; that is the preferred approach.

With some forethought, the effect can be done in an informal venue, such as a restaraunt, but I must stress that it will require some advanced work, aside from the actual preparation for the effect.

Sean
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Sean,

Thank you very much for your comments. They were very helpful.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
I am wondering if audience can see the glass around or they have to watch only the front.M****r glass is what passed from my mind at first...Also what if a spectator reach his hand into the glass...can he find an ice cube as well?...and finally are these real ice cubes or gimmicked ones???
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
denis_gbrg
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
162 Posts

Profile of denis_gbrg
Are the ice cubes real ice cubes
or this is all just like snow powder?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=501
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Ice cubes are produced from the water, not snow.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
denis_gbrg
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
162 Posts

Profile of denis_gbrg
I know snow and ice are different.
I am talking about the method and effect.
I can see how I can perform snow from water with the stuff from link I posted,
and that stuff costs small fraction of the ice cube effect.
I am not sure if ice cube production is more shocking than snow.

Wish we could see some cool demo.
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
For $99 it'd better be more than a glorified TT and/or snow powder. Obviously, it must be since it takes "hours of prep" and Sean mentioned it was a method that he had tried but failed with. This sounds more intensive than the snow powder bit.
Also, the ad copy states there is no special glass.

This effect is peaking my interest!
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
I just wonder if it would yield the right reactions. havent really put too much thought into this but it really seems like its a stand alone effect. I would like to see someone do it.

MIKE
Fabius
View Profile
New user
Germany
79 Posts

Profile of Fabius
Hello,
could I do this in an 45 minutes stage show as a "running gag"?
Thanks,
Fabius
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I am wondering if this is the same trick that Mac King showed the audience how to do on one of the Worlds Greatest Magic specials? I believe it is. Mac showed how it was done using a coffee cup and that something extra. It would play well for a kids show but not sure if it is powerfull enough to play for a stage show. That is probably why Mac exposed it on TV.

Snidini
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I HIGHLY doubt this is the same exposed effect that Mac King performed on WGM. I suspect a huge difference in reaching into a clear glass of water with obviously empty hands and producing ice cubes versus pouring water into an opaque coffee mug and dumping out some ice cubes.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
What Mac King exposed was an effect by Larry White. No permission was given to King, in fact, he never bothered to ask.

This effect reads entirely different.

Tony
elierfr
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of elierfr
The ice cubes are real or fake?
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
A post mentioned "scientific principals". That still leaves it wide open for me. I haven't a clue but I am very interested.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
809 Posts

Profile of e-man
Im just going to use Mac Kings version,
Can someone give me a contact address,
Im going to give him $99.00
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Hi guys, I will try to answer a few questions if I can.... Ice from Water is not a glorified th&%*b tip, that is not used.
This is not snow powder.
This is not slush powder at all.
No special glass is required.
This is not the effect Mac King did either.
This effect is as close to the real thing as I think you can get...
If you read the above reviews from Sean Feilds, Greg Arce and others you will see that they Kinda think the effect is well.....INCREDIBLE!
You will most likely see this effect peformed on t.v. as well.
The ice cubes produced are not square chunks of ice, but ice like you would get in any drink at a bar ect..
Not much time to post here at the moment, but thanks to all of you that have sent me emails about this and other new releases,I am overwhelmed by all your kind comments,Thank you.
In Thoughts to all of you
Andrew-Gerard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ice From Water by Andrew Gerard (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL