The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Amazing mentalism- The telephone trick! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
It's done with the Ultimate Marked Deck, so I'm posting it here. I just badly fried my girlfriend with this. You must give it a try! I would purchase UMD just for this trick that comes with it. Does anyone know if this is in print anywhere?

The basic effect: a prediction is in full view the whole time. Spec shuffles a deck, fans out card, and slides one out (no force). You turn your back to her as she peaks at card and shuffles it back into deck. You then ask her to check prediction. It's a telephone number. Have her call, with your cell phone if you'd like (which can be in her possesion before the trick even starts). The person on the other end tells her the card she freely picked out and peeked at with you coming nowhere near the phone.

Does mentalism get much more convincing than this?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Man! That's almost as convincing as Miss Cleo! Just kidding. That's pretty good. Who has it and what is it called?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
It's an effect that comes with the Ultimate Marked Deck. As far as I know, the deck is being sold everywhere. It's just such a brilliant concept. Perhaps an old one, but brilliant.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Cool!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
You will fine a similar effect -Mystral- in Jack Avis & Lewis Jones's book 'Ahead of the Pack'.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Wow, that sounds pretty good. How much prep is required with the other person on the phone??? I don't want you to tip the method but the deck is reatiling for about $30.00. There are ads for it in all the latest Magic Magazines.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I couldve swore a read a similar method but without the Marked Deck. And that on your phone you Jesus Stored on the caller Id and he calls and gives the revelation.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2006-02-24 12:10, cinemagician wrote:
Wow, that sounds pretty good. How much prep is required with the other person on the phone??? I don't want you to tip the method but the deck is reatiling for about $30.00. There are ads for it in all the latest Magic Magazines.

Not much prep. Basically you work something out with a friend who owes you one. Then you're set to go for life on this trick. Extremely deceptive. I can't believe anyone would ever figure this out. If you want to do this without a marked deck, you can have a spec spread the deck out face up and freely pull one out. This may even be better.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Wow no codes , I guess you can also F**** a card & have the same effect from the specs point of view sounds like a winner !
Tophatter
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Yes, you could force a card, but I feel giving them a totally free choice and making a big deal about it makes a big difference. Particularly if you never look at the card. This one is a winner. There is, in a sense, a code, but it's so unbelievably simple, natural and clever, nobody would ever pick up on it. I know I wouldn't.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Platt,

Thanks for sharing... Sounds really nice. I love it when someone legitimately just plain gets excited about an effect and is driven to spread the word! That says a lot....

Best,
Bobby
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Platt thanks for the heads up I like It !
Tophatter
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well I agree that this trick can be very powerful, but it is also a very, very old trick found in many books. I mention this only because I do not want people yo buy the marked deck thinking that this is somehow a new or unique method. It is more or less the same exact method people have been using for years.

there are two basic ways to do this trick that I know of, this method and a similar one that in some ways is cleaner but requires the magician to initiate the call before handing the phone over to the spectator. With this method the magician can be totally hands off.

I also kind of disagree about the prep work. It is true that there is no elaborate code or memory work required but you do need to coorinate things and make sure your frind is home and aware that you will be calling and all of that. It is not hard but it does limit when and where it can be done to some extent.
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
I have something similar in my lecture notes coming out March 6th. The notes are called simply devatating and the effect is "the call". No force, no assistants, no marked cards or stacks. Totally impromptu. They think of a card, then call your house... you're not home. The prediction is on the answering machine. No stooges. The notes have a ton of other useful items as well, each one a refined routine, complete with a special section of notes calle "adding impact" that covers proper timing and close up "stage" direction. PM me for detatils.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2006-02-25 21:40, teevtee wrote:
Well I agree that this trick can be very powerful, but it is also a very, very old trick found in many books. I mention this only because I do not want people yo buy the marked deck thinking that this is somehow a new or unique method. It is more or less the same exact method people have been using for years.

there are two basic ways to do this trick that I know of, this method and a similar one that in some ways is cleaner but requires the magician to initiate the call before handing the phone over to the spectator. With this method the magician can be totally hands off.

I also kind of disagree about the prep work. It is true that there is no elaborate code or memory work required but you do need to coorinate things and make sure your frind is home and aware that you will be calling and all of that. It is not hard but it does limit when and where it can be done to some extent.

Perhaps you could enlighten us all as to some of the many places this effect can be found in print. I'm very familiar with the old telephone trick, The Wizard, where you make the call yourself. This, however, is an entirely different principle that I've never seen in print. The fact that you don't touch the phone or come near it makes a world of difference. And with the marked cards, you never have to look at the card either. Think about that: Spec freely pulls out a card. You never see it. Spec makes a call to a number that has been in view the entire time. Person at other end immediately names the card. I don't know of anything much cleaner than that. I'm not doubting you teevee, but again, can you please let us know some of the many places you've seen this in print?
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Teevtee is correct. You'll find this in Max Maven's Prism. I've seen it in other books too.

...But this is a great effect. Both methods are old, but strong.

You can make this even cleaner by incorporating the Ultimate Marked Deck with the RaMa deck.

There is a version in Paramiracles in which the spec shuffles and forces the card on themselves. The performer doesn't touch the phone. The spec calls your friend who then divines the selected card.
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Imagine the Lesley Deck. The UMD is the same area very concealed. I wish they would have made this deck on one side only(survive riffle test).

Jay
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
[quote]On 2006-02-24 12:33, paisa23 wrote:
I couldve swore a read a similar method but without the Marked Deck. And that on your phone you Jesus Stored on the caller Id and he calls and gives the revelation.
[/quoteHas anyone else heard of this? If I imagined it then I think I have bigger issues then I thought.
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
Or a v****l c**e could be used in conjunction with this. The marked deck allows the subtlety for even the magician dosent know the card (supposedly).
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Platt:

I'm soprry but I do not have a photographic memory or an extensive refrence system to pull up every trickand where it may be found in print. What I can tell you is that I have seen it a MINUMUM of "several" times in print, like 3 or 4 and I sure feel like I have seen it much more than that. It is just one of those old tricks you come across from time to time over the years. the first time I read about it was probably 25 years ago, I just cannot recall where EXACTLY it was. Plus, if you are not doubting me as you say then why ask me to prove myself? I have nothing to gain by saying it is in print if in fact it is not, the simple fact is that it IS in print many places. It has already been pointed out that Maven has published it, I will see if I can find a few more examples for you as well.

This is not to say that it is not a solid trick, most old classics like this are in fact VERY good. People tend to shy away for some reason, they want fancy high tech solutions when in fact the simple basic stuff is often the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Amazing mentalism- The telephone trick! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL