The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Exposure.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Try being yourself.

If you happen to be a magician, all the better.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
I think you and Jonathan are right on point...just my opinion mind you...but being yourself is what it is all about. Practice your social skills with people in everday situations, if you suck in everyday situations with people then you have no chance as coming across as a "believable" or "real" person when you are performing.

Even poeple who have never seen any magic or the guy you are copying there will be that little "somthing" wrong duirng their time with you. A genuine you is better than a 2nd rate sell of yourself as another Bill Malone.

Clark
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
That is one thing I pride myself on, and that is being me, as ultimately, professional or otherwise, it's what people understand. I think people/spectators can tell when some one is using an act and when someone is true or genuine. They see it from a mile out, but, I think most of the people that allow themselves to follow a model or mold would come to the conclusion of, "Well, after David Blaine bit the quarter, he just stared them in the eyes and didn't say anything...why did that not work when I did it?"

When I perform there is very little difference between me and the performance me. They are one in the same. Then again, I'm not on here trying to back figure a method to an effect either.
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Toward the "being yourself" philosophy, I've got to defer (again) to Marlo's Slydini story, and suggest that if you are the type of person who can pull off playing a character better than (or at least, with more entertainment value than...) "being yourself", that there's nothing wrong with roleplaying your magician persona.

Houdini was, after all, a role played by Erich Weiss. Steve Martin is reportedly a quiet introvert, a personality trait shared by many performers.

As for the exposure question, I had an eight year-old girl bust my TT after her father explained the gimmick to her, and she detailed the modus operandi for her entire class. Now I work without it whenever possible, or ditch it at every opportunity.

So I became a better performer the day she became a wiser spectator. Seems like a win-win scenario to me...

Regards,

-jjg
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
You are correct, jg. These people do have great characters, but, they were orginal characters to my knowledge, like a David Blaine or a Criss Angel. They are novel, and they, themselves, are being an extension of themselves and true to themselves and not copying an already developed character or stylistic choice.

I'm sure that I shot myself in the foot here, cause, as the Café generally goes people will pick apart your arguement, but, for me, being me works, and that might not be for everyone. Some would choose a character, but, if your character is a 'Mysterious Stranger' then that role has been filled already. And you got these people who try to live to that standard or that hype, and I think, along that journey of trying to become someone else, they lose sight of what magic is really all about, hence why (coming back full circle now), there is a lot of people jealous over these types of folks and that are hell bent on exposing their tricks/secrets/effects, etc.
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Jjg,

I totally agree with what you say as well. I would by no means argue what you have posted as it very correct...that is, if you can indeed get away with the performance character that you are speaking of. my point is that if you are trying to play a comedic character, yet you yourself are not the least bit funny, you will fail, or at least not seem like a genuinely funny person to the audience.

My point on being yourself first is that you cannot even pick a persona to play if you do not have the needed tools somewhere inside yourself already. I have seen many a "one liner" performer trying to play as funny, yet come across as a true *ss to everyone around them watching their show. Which brings me back to my point of spending some think time on your strengths in everyday situations. Arbitrarily picking a character to mimic because you have seen one and liked them is just not going to work. Houdini was more than a "role" played by Eric Weiss, the character was an extension of a strength he already possessed.

I don't want to seem argumentative because I agree with you wholeheartedly, I just think that the only way to finding the character for you is by being yourself in your performances first.

On the TT, you have a great outlook on that type scenario, and I couldn't agree with you more.

Best,
Clark
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Jjg,

We all (SHOULD) know that performance is theatrical.

Whether or not we channel others when we perform is another matter.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
On 2006-02-25 14:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
Reminds me of the old joke about the women who won't date the guy.

he says how about a million dollars and she say sure. He says how about 10? and she says "what do you think I am, a lady of the evening?". to that the guy responds "we already know what you are, I am just negotiating a price!"

Magic shops strike me as being in this category. Sorry. I worked one for 10 years. The ONLY qualification for buying secrets, is to have enough money. Plain and simple. Sorry dealers but you are in the business of selling secrets to anyone willing to buy.

So when exposure is yapped about we need to start looking pretty close at ourselves.

How many of our books are in Waldenbooks? Mark Wilson course sure is. Magic for Dummies and so forth. Forget the masked magician. OTHERS have exposed longer than he has and for less money.

So I guess we have to define "even a little exposure" now don't we?

What do we do have tests for magic sales? What about this board itself? Lots of exposure here too.

The solution to me is to realise magic is about entertainment, and NOT about the secrets we keep. Entertain an audience and they will be forever grateful.

Also stick with skill tricks and keep away from marketed effects and people will not really know what it is you are doing.

Just food for thought.

This is a post by one of the few people at Magic Café who has got their head round this subject and understood it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20538 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thank you. Not a popular opinion, but it is the only one I have.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Exposure.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL