The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for first kid show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

statenisland
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of statenisland
As you all know I am new to magic and someone just asked me to do a kids party (first time).

Can someone please help me with some good, but easy tricks to do for kids?

I just picked up Amazing Color Changing Rope and the Clown Magic Coloring Book by Haines?

Can someone please help me out?
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I would suggest picking up some more stuff. If you do a good show it will be worth the investment as you'll probably using the equipment in your new career.

I did one birthday show 10 years ago and to date have probably averaged some 500 shows a year. Not bad when you think about it.

Most of my first shows included props such as: silk serenade (today you can buy color changing cd's), Blendo bag, Sponge Ball routine, Mirror Box production, Equal Unequal Ropes (Professors Nightmare), Change Bag, Zombie Ball, Hippity Hop Rabbits and more.

I dressed up in a shiny tracksuit and a magicians top hat, built myself a magical looking table which I also used to carry the goods.
I hope this is of some good to you.

I would also recommend purchasing some books on the subject but not so much for the tricks they offer - preferably for the tips and hints that these qualified and professional magicians have put in print. A really good book would be "performing magic for children" by Uwe Schenk and Michael Sondermeyer.

Good luck and think positive,
Dani
mslj
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
Working with kids is hard, hard work. Rewarding and enjoyable but hard work! My question to you is why are you even considering doing the show without the resources to actually perform. Please don't see this as a criticism of you, it is not intended as such. However, you will get a whole bucket load of advice about what the good and not so good effects are but you need time to understand them, rehearse them and develop the way in which you intend to perform them.

We all know magicians who have 'done' a children's show thinking that it's simply a matter of turning up and running through some magic, similarly we all know magicians who vow never to do it again.

So, I'd encourage you to think whether it's the right time for you to agree to a show or alternatively whether it's the right time to develop a show without the pressure of having to perform it when it may not be ready.

Regards

mslj
elhunk0
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of elhunk0
I still think this is a useful question. Any other routines/tricks that you would recommend for someone to do in their first show to kids? Specific names would be most useful (I understand that a lot of colors, balloons, disappearing, sponge balls, etc. are important for a young audience).
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Elhunk0
Welcome to the magic Café. You really had to dig deep to find this thread. The absolute best advise that I can give you is to do your home work, and come up with a solid 30 to 45 minute show before you book any parties. There is much more to performing a successful kids show than just collecting a bunch of other peoples favorite tricks, and trying to make that unrelated assortment of tricks look like a show. The tricks that I do fit my show, personality, and style, so do the research, and come up with tricks that fit you. How the heck are you going to be an original act if you are doing everybody elses routines?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mad Mage
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mad Mage
If you would like suggested effects here are a few; Sucker Die Box, Hippy Hop Bunnies, Candy Factory, Change Bag, and Acrobatic Silks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mad Mage
Do you do the wooden version, or the plastic version of Acrobatic Silks. I have found that it really plays well.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
My suggestion is share your interest, love and excitement along with wonderful tricks.

The kids and I can have fun with store bought things as well as things like my puppets made form duct tape and aluminum foil....

perhaps this is a bit from one of my comedy heroes...Jonathan Winters...2 minutes with a schtick....or was that a stick....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have fun this summer bringing back props from the bottom of my drawers..like my lota for the splish splash fun...the 3rd time water is poured "accidently" over my head...the reaction is great..the 4th time I start...but don't do it...the first just a wide eyed and mouth response..(no vocals as advised by my wonderful nearly normal wife)

Let us know how it went...

Harris
still 2 old to know everything...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
I'm sure by the time this thread is added you'll have done it - would love to know what you used and how it went!
I have been doing ballooning and storytelling for a considerable amount of time before I embarked on my first small magic show for kids combining the above - disappearing silk, a simple card trick, some fun effects with slush powder (even got the adults attention!) some clever hula hooping (i know - not magic but great fun) and finished off with a devils hanky and sam the skeleton.

Glad to come across this thread as further advice for more and better effects.

Vee
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
I recommend these two Silly Billy pamhalets--"How To Solve the Top 10 Problems of Performing For Children" and "How to Perform the Perfect Kid Show Magic Trick."

They helped me a bundle.
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Quote:
On 2010-07-22 18:47, Al Angello wrote:
Elhunk0
Welcome to the magic Café. You really had to dig deep to find this thread. The absolute best advise that I can give you is to do your home work, and come up with a solid 30 to 45 minute show before you book any parties. There is much more to performing a successful kids show than just collecting a bunch of other peoples favorite tricks, and trying to make that unrelated assortment of tricks look like a show. The tricks that I do fit my show, personality, and style, so do the research, and come up with tricks that fit you. How the heck are you going to be an original act if you are doing everybody elses routines?

Amen!

Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For a first kid show, I recommend keeping it short. Why buy a bunch of stuff that you may only use once, because the trick doesn't work well for you?

Easy stuff is okay, but much of my show involved some serious work to get it where it is today. The two best crowd-pleasers in my show are the linking rings and egg bag. Both required a great deal of work to make them solid routines, that impress laymen and magicians. Do things that impress you, that you could see yourself performing.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
You have made a great start by delving so deep into the archives of the Magic Café. Keep looking, and you'll find everything you're looking for! Some of the best threads here were about 2005-2007.
In terms of creating your first shows, you should try to do these for family and friends. Once your peers tell you that you should take it further, then start to accept paid gigs, but charge silly money - just pocket change. Only when you feel confident that you're delivering a show that justifies a higher price, should you start to demand the kind of fees that professionals earn. Even then, you'll have problems, as you may have ONE good show, but what about those repeat bookings?
If you're serious about this profession, you need to learn a LOT, and FAST! Imagine that you are studying for a PHD in "Kids' Entertainment" - spend the next several years doing nothing but researching, learning, and honing your craft.
It's really not as easy as it may seem.
The Magic Café has many, many hidden treasures - and if you have the energy and patience to study the resources here, you WILL learn more than you could imagine -but even then, you need performance skills, a sense of comedy, natural connection with children, and above all, a devotion to others. This last quality is probably the most important of all, because without it your show will lack the lustre of a truly caring individual.
Being a kids' entertainer is more than having a funny show. It's about your whole life ethic, and if you happen to be one of those people who care about others more than yourself, you might - just - have the ability to become a really good kid-show performer.
As always, it's just my 2c.
Potty Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13347 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 15:07, Alan Munro wrote:
For a first kid show, I recommend keeping it short. Why buy a bunch of stuff that you may only use once, because the trick doesn't work well for you?

Easy stuff is okay, but much of my show involved some serious work to get it where it is today. The two best crowd-pleasers in my show are the linking rings and egg bag. Both required a great deal of work to make them solid routines, that impress laymen and magicians. Do things that impress you, that you could see yourself performing.

Great suggestion.
I only do routines that play to adults and kids equally well. (I have a couple kid-only routines I do on occasion for a bday kid).
You'd never see bright colorful pictures of clowns and animals in my show, no silly box tricks, no something-chase-something-else, or x-run-x or anything like that. (I don't use any kids tricks/props unless you consider a change bag a kid's trick/prop.)

Mostly because they don't interest me AT ALL. I'd rather work harder to get a classic like the rings, cups, egg bag, ropes, silks, cards up to speed with my own unique routine. It takes longer but it's worth it.

The nice side-effect from that is ....Then I can do it for any audience at all. If you only have one show, you're working on your BEST show all the time. More reps usually means a better show.

As an example: Don't convince yourself that kids need run-rabbit-run instead of The Gypsy Thread. I don't do a thread routine, but why not. If you love that trick, work up a great routine and do it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Here's a very easy and effective bit that will cost
you no more than $5 or so total:

1. Get some red sewing tapes from a fabric store.
You need two pieces each about 7 feet long.

2. Get a pair of Groucho glasses from a dollar store
or whereever. (You know, big nose/moustache/glasses)

3. Spool of red thread.

Set up the tapes using the Rope-and-Tapes principle.
Make life easy on finding the gimmicked area by using a
clasp paper clip. Stuff the tape into a sandwich-sized
ziploc bag, zip it up leaving the clasp exposed for easy
access.

Performance:

Invite three kids up on stage, with the birthday kid
front and center.

Introduce all the kids and use all the old classic
jokes/lines you can find - "Are you married?" "What
kind of job do you do?" etc. - Trust me, there are
tons of resources on this.

Say you're going to have the birthday kid a) escape or b)
cut him in half. Younger kids escape; Older kids cut
in half.

Say, "Now we need to tie you up in something that all
the grown ups in the audience know is IMPOSSIBLE to get
out of ... (pull out and display the tapes) -- Corporate
Red Tape!" (For some audiences I'll use GOVERNMENT red tape
instead... you will learn which will work best for who...)

Tie up the kid with the tapes (make sure to put the gimmicked
side behind the center kid's back properly - you don't want
to goof this up!) Hand the ends to the kids on the sides.

Now say, "and because this involves a little bit of danger,
you need to put on some special protection goggles to keep
you safe"

or

"because you need to look like a REAL magician, you need
to put on this special Magician goggles to make
you look like a real magician."

- Use the first for the cutting in half and the second
for the escape version.

Tell the kids on the sides to pull on the count of three.
But manage this yourself by grabbing the tapes on both
sides and control the pulling.

On the count of three, pull the tapes and the birthday
cut has miraculously escaped/survived!

Enhance with your own clever witticisms and personality
and you'll have a very entertaining and effective 5 to 7
minute routine that highlights the birthday kid, gets a
few more volunteers into the show, and creates a very
fun photo moment.

If you feel like sending me $75 I'll write up the routine
in detail and even include the glasses, tapes, and thread. Smile

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I would strongly suggest getting the silly Billy book and/or DVD. This will really help you create a strong first show. He has an amazing coloring book routine that I use and it kills for children. He also shows some fun routines with a thumb tip and silk. So many others too.

As far as specific tricks:

1. Norm neilsons vanish ketchup bottle
2. Axtell off the meter to warm up the crowd
3. Appearing 8 foot pole from bag
4. Mismade flags with a twist
5. Hippity Hop Rabbits
6. Vanishing lifesavers
7. Flower box production bag
8. Break a way wand
9. Multiplying wands
10. Vanishing milk picture, pour the milk in newspaper over kids head

This is a start. The list varies in price. The best bang for your buck is to get the silly Billy DVD and you'll learn to routine some basic tricks that are not killer expensive to perform for three different age groups. Same tricks but performed diffrently for each group.

The above tricks work for me but are not performed together in one show or in that order. As many gag wands you can get the better as they give you filler comedy time.

Hope this helps. If you have a budget let me know and I can help you put together a nice 30-45 minute routine.

Mike Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The hardest part about doing shows for children is knowing what they are going to say ahead of time and being prepared to use that information in developing a routine.

Take Hippy Hop Rabbits as an Example. The instructions do not tell you to make it obvious when you turn around the rabbit boxes. Doing it subtlety, may not get the response necessary to build the excitement that they know how the trick is done and they want you to turn it around to show you they are right, and the surprise ending.

The best advise is to have a good children entertainer tutor you in the basics.

There is a lot of good advise in the first Sticky Post in this section. Reading is a must, but I don't recommend "Performing Magic for Children" by Uwe Schenk and Michael Sondermeyer as a starter book. Silly Billy's book would be a better started book.

Look over this section and you will find gems, many of them in information.
Dennis Michael
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 07:56, mike storz wrote:
I would strongly suggest getting the silly Billy book and/or DVD. This will really help you create a strong first show. He has an amazing coloring book routine that I use and it kills for children. He also shows some fun routines with a thumb tip and silk. So many others too.

Ditto. Kaye teaches you how to take almost any trick and routine it for children. (this idea was alluded to in some of the above posts, Kaye tells you how to do this)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for first kid show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL