The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any pros or cons for the Royal Road To Card Magic DVD by MM. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Laurent69
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Laurent69
I am thinking of buying this four dvd set on Ebay (around $40) for a newbie. Is there anyone who can give me a critique. I can't do a search on this forum until it is fixed...so any opinion is greatly appreciated. I realize that many are disgusted with the ethical issues surrounding this release. However, if you were to judge the content alone, is it well explained? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Here's a thread on the MM DVDs. This is a thread is on the Paul Wilson set.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
From what I saw, I didn`t like it too much. I am sure Daryl`s Encyclopedia of Card Sleights is the best there is.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Actually, I found akermans set much much better.

hard to compare them though, as akermans set was an encyclopedia of moves, while daryls, despote the name, was more of a beginers steping block (not to suggest daryl didn't teach some advanced stuff, just no where near as thurough as akerman)
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I think Daryl teaches some very advanced stuff too.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2006-02-26 08:59, Marco S. wrote:
From what I saw, I didn`t like it too much. I am sure Daryl`s Encyclopedia of Card Sleights is the best there is.

Does Daryl's set teach card magic? I thought there were only a couple of tricks to illustrate the moves.

Royal Road is a course on how to perform card magic, not an encyclopedia of card moves.

I'd go with the set from L&L, because 1. I know who Paul Wilson IS and what he can do, and 2. because I've never been disappointed in the quality of a product from L&L and 3. because I have almost ALWAYS been disappointed in the products I've gotten from Magic Makers.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-02-26 08:59, Marco S. wrote:

He said he was getting it for a newbie. The Daryl encyclopedia is not a good reference for newbies by any stretch of the imagination. It does not teach hardly any effects, and doesn't have any information on theory, presentation, etc. It's just a compendium of sleights. Getting the Daryl encyclopedia DVD for a newbie would be sort of like buying a kitchen full of cooking utensels & pots & pans for somebody who wants to learn cooking. What are they going to do with all of those tools?

What you need is an excellent resource that teaches fundamental techniques from an instructional standpoint, as well as good effects that utilize those techniques. Something like the Royal Road book, but more up to date. As far as I'm concerned, there are only two products to buy for a newbie that live up to that standard: Card College volume 1 (preferably), or Richard Kaufman's Basic Card Technique (if it absolutely has to be a DVD). The first two volumes of Card College are available in ebook format, which includes video clips of the moves.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Daryl`s encyclopedia is best for all kinds of sleights. This is basically what we are talking about.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
No. We are talking about a resource for a newbie. Check out the original post, that is what he asked for. You are correct that the Daryl encyclopedia is a great resource for sleights, but it is a very poor resource for a newbie to learn fundamentals of card magic.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
What are the fundamentals of card magic???? It is sleights, my friend!!!!!!
How can you start if you don`t know any little sleight??? Daryl`s encyclopedia is ideal for people wanting to get into magic. I guess you have to read the original post again.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
You could learn a hundred sleights and still not be able to do anything with them.

Most beginners seek to learn professional quality effects that they can perform in front of audiences, and you won't find them in the Daryl encyclopedia.

If you mastered everything in Card College volume 1 and nothing more, you would have several professional strength programs, from over thirty high quality effects, using the most important, fundamental sleights in the business. On the other hand, if you learned all of the sleights in the entire Daryl encylopedia, you would only know enough to perform all of the sleights in the Daryl encyclopedia. You would learn ten different forces and seven different passes and wouldn't have the slightest clue under the sun what to do with them, or why you'd want to use one and not another.

No effects, no context, no theory, no information on presentation, nothing on routining, no advice on practicing, nothing even about misdirection! Hmmm....it's a geat resource for the experienced card worker who knows what to do with the sleights, but certainly not a very intelligent recommendation for a newbie who doesn't.

Audiences don't pay to see you perform sleights, they pay to see magic.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-26 19:25, scorch wrote:
You could learn a hundred sleights and still not be able to do anything with them.

Most beginners seek to learn professional quality effects that they can perform in front of audiences, and you won't find them in the Daryl encyclopedia.

If you mastered everything in Card College volume 1 and nothing more, you would have several professional strength programs, from over thirty high quality effects, using the most important, fundamental sleights in the business. On the other hand, if you learned all of the sleights in the entire Daryl encylopedia, you would only know enough to perform all of the sleights in the Daryl encyclopedia. You would learn ten different forces and seven different passes and wouldn't have the slightest clue under the sun what to do with them, or why you'd want to use one and not another.

No effects, no context, no theory, no information on presentation, nothing on routining, no advice on practicing, nothing even about misdirection! Hmmm....it's a geat resource for the experienced card worker who knows what to do with the sleights, but certainly not a very intelligent recommendation for a newbie who doesn't.

Audiences don't pay to see you perform sleights, they pay to see magic.

I completely disagree with what you wrote. The original post is about a DVD set for a newbie. Where does it say that this excludes sleight of hand? Nowhere!!!
Most newbies I know and also fellow magicians would like to learn sleights first. Who wants to learn just self-working tricks in the beginning? I don`t know too many people. If you are seriously interested in becoming a good card magician, then Daryl`s encyclopedia is the ideal tool (he even says it himself!). And of course Daryl also teaches misdirection and gives other useful tips.
Philipp K
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
228 Posts

Profile of Philipp K
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 12:04, Marco S. wrote:
Daryl`s encyclopedia is the ideal tool (he even says it himself!)

another example of your truly convincing arguments ....

Would a butcher tell his customers to go to the next supermarket because their quality is far better ? No !
Doc Brown : If you put your mind to it , you can accomplish anything .
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 12:13, Philipp K wrote:
Quote:
Daryl`s encyclopedia is the ideal tool (he even says it himself!)

another example of your truly convincing arguments ....

Would a butcher tell his customers to go to the next supermarket because their quality is far better ? No !

You obviously misunderstand what we are talking about here. Daryl is not comparing his DVD to other DVDs, but he points out that the stuff he teaches is essential for every beginner, which is true. Anyone who knows his DVDs and who knows Daryl can confirm this.
Philipp K
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
228 Posts

Profile of Philipp K
It is a great tool, no question about that.
But I wouldn't call it "the ideal one", for reasons mentioned above.
Doc Brown : If you put your mind to it , you can accomplish anything .
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
I completely disagree with what you wrote. The original post is about a DVD set for a newbie. Where does it say that this excludes sleight of hand? Nowhere!!!

I'm not sure what you're talking about, "excluding sleight of hand?" The sources I've recommended, Card College and the Basic Card Technique DVD by Kaufman, are far superior for newbies than the Daryl encyclopedia, and absolutely DO include a lot of sleight of hand. If you had them yourself you would know that, and would know why those two resources are much more commonly recommended for beginners than the Daryl encyclopedia.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 13:46, scorch wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, "excluding sleight of hand?" The sources I've recommended, Card College and the Basic Card Technique DVD by Kaufman, are far superior for newbies than the Daryl encyclopedia, and absolutely DO include a lot of sleight of hand. If you had them yourself you would know that, and would know why those two resources are much more commonly recommended for beginners than the Daryl encyclopedia.

Hopw do YOU know I don`t have them???
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 15:21, Marco S. wrote:
Quote:

It's pretty obvious given your comments. Because if you did, you would know that Card College and the Kaufman DVD don't "exclude sleights." Because if you did, you would be aware that neither of those teach "only self-working tricks at first," and that they focus on sleights from the very start. But more to the point, if you had either of those resources, you would stop making inappropriate recommendations for the Daryl encyclopedia to newbies.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Amazing new trick: Discussion begins on a question regarding the Royal Road Dvds, and BAM transforms into a discussion of Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights.

Now THAT'S magic.
tjo'
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 15:41, scorch wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 15:21, Marco S. wrote:
Quote:

It's pretty obvious given your comments. Because if you did, you would know that Card College and the Kaufman DVD don't "exclude sleights." Because if you did, you would be aware that neither of those teach "only self-working tricks at first," and that they focus on sleights from the very start. But more to the point, if you had either of those resources, you would stop making inappropriate recommendations for the Daryl encyclopedia to newbies.

My gosh, Daryl himself would be ashamed of what you think of him and his work.
All I said about him and his DVD is true and not inappropriate.
Your deductions are ridiculous as well. The more I read your comments, the more I think you have a childish idea of what magic teaching is like.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any pros or cons for the Royal Road To Card Magic DVD by MM. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL