The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any pros or cons for the Royal Road To Card Magic DVD by MM. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
OK, whatever you say Marco...but I did notice that you're not denying the fact that you don't own Card College or the Kaufman DVD....
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Hahaha, you cannot help it, can you?

Psychology and arguing don`t seem to be your strong point.

Whatever you want to infer from my comments, you may infer. Go ahead.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 16:18, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
Amazing new trick: Discussion begins on a question regarding the Royal Road Dvds, and BAM transforms into a discussion of Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights.

Now THAT'S magic.

Yeah, cool, isn`t it? Smile
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Well, I'm amazed to find myself coming to Scorch's defense but he's right here. Without taking anything away from the quality of Daryl's offerings, you could learn every single thing on those DVDs and not be able to entertain a single person (other than the guys at the magic club/shop). Daryl's work is an encyclopdia, not a course in performing.

Royal Road, and Card College are designed to teach "newbie's" how to perform card magic, not just how do do moves.

Some of the best card magicians in the world use only a handful of moves, but know a great deal about how to entertain with card tricks. Matt Schulien used to say you only needed three things to go entertaining card magic:
A force
A control
A palm

His work inspired two entire generations of magicians in Chicago and around the world.

Eddie Fechter used about a dozen moves and taught a whole generation of magicians how to make a living doing card tricks.

Start someone on entertaining and let them learn the moves they need for the effects they like to perform.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
We're talking about apples and oranges here.

Royal Road, book or DVD's is not the same as Daryl's wonderful DVD's on sleights.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 16:58, wsduncan wrote:
Well, I'm amazed to find myself coming to Scorch's defense but he's right here.

Well, he doesn't need much defending because he's so obviously correct. However, I do remember a thread where Scorch claimed he loved learning sleights for the sake of just doing sleights! That still strikes me as somewhat sadistic, but to each their own.

Effects matter. Sleights are an instrumental good -- necessary inasmuch as they promote an effect.

For a complete beginner a DVD might be more appropriate because it shows what can be accomplished. Assuming your neophyte does not even know what's possible with a deck of cards, a good performance can inspire practice. They might say to themselves, "I want to be able to do that!" Younger people -- my generation! -- are stupidly afraid of books and reading. It's the time of Bush, myspace, and rampant anti-intellectualism. /rant. Books require an investment most people are not ready to make. They may not be able to visualize the effect; they might not understand what they're supposed to do, what the trick is "supposed to look like". That said, _Card College_ is the best resource I know.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
The answer to your simple question is that there are much better resources out there. The reviews about this DVD series have been fairly negative.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 17:15, MagicChris wrote:
We're talking about apples and oranges here.

Royal Road, book or DVD's is not the same as Daryl's wonderful DVD's on sleights.

Exactly. Finally somebody knows what I mean. It really is wonderful and essential if you want to learn good techniques etc.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
Well, I'm amazed to find myself coming to Scorch's defense but he's right here. Without taking anything away from the quality of Daryl's offerings, you could learn every single thing on those DVDs and not be able to entertain a single person (other than the guys at the magic club/shop). Daryl's work is an encyclopdia, not a course in performing.

Royal Road, and Card College are designed to teach "newbie's" how to perform card magic, not just how do do moves.

Some of the best card magicians in the world use only a handful of moves, but know a great deal about how to entertain with card tricks. Matt Schulien used to say you only needed three things to go entertaining card magic:
A force
A control
A palm

His work inspired two entire generations of magicians in Chicago and around the world.

Eddie Fechter used about a dozen moves and taught a whole generation of magicians how to make a living doing card tricks.

Start someone on entertaining and let them learn the moves they need for the effects they like to perform.

Completely wrong!!! I guess you guys have never seen the DVDs. With this Daryl DVD you are a 100 % able to entertain people. Such hubris here is beyond belief!!!
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 17:20, Cain wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'm amazed to find myself coming to Scorch's defense but he's right here.

Well, he doesn't need much defending because he's so obviously correct. However, I do remember a thread where Scorch claimed he loved learning sleights for the sake of just doing sleights! That still strikes me as somewhat sadistic, but to each their own.

Effects matter. Sleights are an instrumental good -- necessary inasmuch as they promote an effect.

For a complete beginner a DVD might be more appropriate because it shows what can be accomplished. Assuming your neophyte does not even know what's possible with a deck of cards, a good performance can inspire practice. They might say to themselves, "I want to be able to do that!" Younger people -- my generation! -- are stupidly afraid of books and reading. It's the time of Bush, myspace, and rampant anti-intellectualism. /rant. Books require an investment most people are not ready to make. They may not be able to visualize the effect; they might not understand what they're supposed to do, what the trick is "supposed to look like". That said, _Card College_ is the best resource I know.

Not really true. Show me somebody that learns the Elmsley Count faster or more effectively from these books than when Daryl teaches this move. Impossible! The visual and slow-motion sequence beats the illustrations and long explanations in a book. I know people who tried this and never succeeded.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 17:49, Marco S. wrote:
Completely wrong!!! I guess you guys have never seen the DVDs. With this Daryl DVD you are a 100 % able to entertain people. Such hubris here is beyond belief!!!

I own most of the Daryl encyclopedia, and love them all. But they clearly do not represent a good balance of introductory information, effects, sleights, theory, and presentation that is exemplified by some other sources. You really think a beginner needs to know twelve different forces before they ever learn what to do with them? A beginner needs to know ten different key cards? Dozens of different controls that they wouldn't have the sleightest clue what to do with? Of course not! They need to know the most useful examples of each, and then they need to know a lot of powerful effects to help them learn how to use these sleights.

If you think that everything you need to know are just the sleights in the Daryl encyclopedia, why do you think Daryl decided to put out his Revelations series?

I know, such "hubris!" I guess everybody else is wrong and you're right, Marco.
Magic Power
View Profile
Regular user
Taiwan
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Power
The DVD set is really bad, I wont recommend it at all, first of all I think the intructor himself is not a good card handler, sorry for being harsh here but the guy is not technically good at all.
Secondly, it would be better that you buy the R P Wilson 6 DVD set from llpub, which is way better as Paul is a great instructor and it includes most of the stuff with some additional stuff I guess..

The DVD box will break after the first time you will open it, that is how bad MM are, they really need to think about this in their future dvd boxes.
"Be Nature"
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Laurent, others have already done the work, so let me direct you to a location complete with several video comparisons where you can decide for yourself. Hope this helps.. http://magicentric.com
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Ok Marco. How many effects are taught in the entire series of eight DVDs?

Think Stop on vol. 1
The Clock Trick on vol. 2
Magician Fooler on vol. 2
Whispering Queens on vol. 3
Larry Gray's Spelling trick on vol. 3
The Primer Aces on vol. 5
Out Of Body Experiance on vol. 6

That's not an awful lot of material for a "newbie" to perform. And at $250.00 for the set it works out to more than thirty dollars a trick. So while the cost per move isn't bad, you really don't learn a whole lot of stuff to perform.

THAT'S why we have stated that it's not the right product for someone who wants to learn to perform card magic. Entertaining people isn't about how many ways you know to fold a card, or force one.

Nobody is saying Daryl's set isn't great. They're just saying it's not something to recommend to someone who is asking about Royal Road for a newbie.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 02:25, wsduncan wrote:
Ok Marco. How many effects are taught in the entire series of eight DVDs?

Think Stop on vol. 1
The Clock Trick on vol. 2
Magician Fooler on vol. 2
Whispering Queens on vol. 3
Larry Gray's Spelling trick on vol. 3
The Primer Aces on vol. 5
Out Of Body Experiance on vol. 6

That's not an awful lot of material for a "newbie" to perform. And at $250.00 for the set it works out to more than thirty dollars a trick. So while the cost per move isn't bad, you really don't learn a whole lot of stuff to perform.

THAT'S why we have stated that it's not the right product for someone who wants to learn to perform card magic. Entertaining people isn't about how many ways you know to fold a card, or force one.

Nobody is saying Daryl's set isn't great. They're just saying it's not something to recommend to someone who is asking about Royal Road for a newbie.

That`s your opinion only. The people I have asked would always prefer this encyclopedia to RRTCM.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 21:15, scorch wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 17:49, Marco S. wrote:

I own most of the Daryl encyclopedia, and love them all. But they clearly do not represent a good balance of introductory information, effects, sleights, theory, and presentation that is exemplified by some other sources. You really think a beginner needs to know twelve different forces before they ever learn what to do with them? A beginner needs to know ten different key cards? Dozens of different controls that they wouldn't have the sleightest clue what to do with? Of course not! They need to know the most useful examples of each, and then they need to know a lot of powerful effects to help them learn how to use these sleights.

If you think that everything you need to know are just the sleights in the Daryl encyclopedia, why do you think Daryl decided to put out his Revelations series?

I know, such "hubris!" I guess everybody else is wrong and you're right, Marco.

I really doubt you listened to Daryl`s introduction. He says you don`t need all the moves necessarily, he gives you an idea of what is possible. He states that he gives you the tools you need to perform a certain move, you may pick whichever suits your needs best. So why do keep telling such nonsense? I never said it and Daryl never said it.
P.S. Card Revelations is another product line. Do you think Daryl will stop publishing his material, just because you think the job is done with one set??? I cannot believe you seriously asked this question.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 00:19, Laurent69 wrote:
WTF...can anyone answer a simple question? Royal Road To Card Magic????
Go or no go? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

What's the matter with you people? Is my English that bad?

I thought this Forum was the "AUTHORITY" on magic and surpassed all other forums. Do you realy want me to go back to the French forum? Don't push my buttons...

I agree with cutewhite. No to this set!
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 06:38, Marco S. wrote:
That`s your opinion only. The people I have asked would always prefer this encyclopedia to RRTCM.

Yes, it is my opinion that $30.00 dollars per trick is pretty high. Especially when some of the tricks are simple things like “Think Stop” and Larry Grey’s Spelling trick, which can be learned by anyone, from The Encyclopedia Of Card Tricks for about five bucks.

Again, that’s not the point. I prefer it to RRTCM. But the QUESTION was about a product to teach someone card magic. Not moves. By your own admission Daryl says “
you don’t need all the moves”, so in addition to paying a VERY high price for the tricks, the person would be paying for more than they need to, to learn the move.

It almost sounds like you are saying that learning a whole bunch of moves makes you a magician? Surely that’s not what you mean to say?
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 13:48, wsduncan wrote:
Quote:

Yes, it is my opinion that $30.00 dollars per trick is pretty high. Especially when some of the tricks are simple things like “Think Stop” and Larry Grey’s Spelling trick, which can be learned by anyone, from The Encyclopedia Of Card Tricks for about five bucks.

Again, that’s not the point. I prefer it to RRTCM. But the QUESTION was about a product to teach someone card magic. Not moves. By your own admission Daryl says “
you don’t need all the moves”, so in addition to paying a VERY high price for the tricks, the person would be paying for more than they need to, to learn the move.

It almost sounds like you are saying that learning a whole bunch of moves makes you a magician? Surely that’s not what you mean to say?

Your 30 dollar argument doesn`t hold water. That may sound smart, but it is off target.
How do you know people don`t want to learn moves, but tricks that require no sleight of hand???
Most people who want to know more about magic are eager to learn sleights and how to manipulate cards etc. Who wants to do self-working tricks only?
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 13:48, wsduncan wrote:
Quote:

P.S. You are definitely wrong when you say the original post was about a product to teach someone card magic. This is WRONG! Go back and read again. Somebody is looking for a DVD set for a newbie. This is all that was asked for. A set! Nothing more but a set! A set for a newbie. Do you get this?
This may mean sleights, tricks, psychology, etc.
The answer to the original post certainly is not the RRTCM set or your 5 dollar set!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any pros or cons for the Royal Road To Card Magic DVD by MM. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL