The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any pros or cons for the Royal Road To Card Magic DVD by MM. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Just to give alittle more input.

First of all I do agree with Scorch, or who ever thought that you cannot go far in performing with the Daryl DVDs. While I think its an excellent resource they SHOULD go after Card College. And even before Card College would be royal road to card magic.

On another note, I completely agree with a previous post by cutewhite. On another section of the Café in the dvd review section I made a statement as to why I thought putting out a dvd of RRTCM is negative, and my post got trashed. But cutewhite(if he was the one) made a good point that I partially realiezd.

The book Royal Road to Card magic is excellent. It was the first book I started out with, and I have done pretty well. On the other hand, just like cutewhite said, I don't think Paul Wilson is fit for the job. He cannot present tricks well, and he can't handle the cards as good as many other people. There were things on Hit the Road that he explained pretty well, but these do not look good to me.

You're best bet is to get the book, then go to Card College, and then if you still have time, money, energy, and your hands are exhausted then get the Daryl sleights and revelations, but then again that 13 more dvds to watch.

If Paul Wilson was better, or someone else had done the series than maybe it would be different.

In a final response to Marco and Scorch you interesting points, but for a newbie I would definetly go for Scorch's argument(which is not the Daryl dvds).

Also if a newbie starts with the Daryl series is would be way to overwhelming. I own and have seen the entire Daryl sleights series more than once, and I definetly do not think its good for a newbie. Both RRTCM and Card College are better in that they teach phsychology, presentation and are outlined in a good way in that after a few sleights are taught then a good trick. And with the Daryl series he teaches fast but well. which would be very overwhelming for a newbie.

So for the newbies get RRTCM but not the dvds. I will also pass on this set. I'm saving my $ until something good comes out.

just my two centavos
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Been biting my tongue on the sidelines. But...

...there are 2 sets of Royal Road dvds, are there not?

I've not seen Rudy Hunter in action, but I've seen Paul Wilson on video, and he can handle the cards well, and knows his stuff. Are you sure you mean Mr Wilson? Because I believe his set was released by L&L, not Magic Makers.
tjo'
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 14:39, clamon86 wrote:

First of all I do agree with Scorch, or who ever thought that you cannot go far in performing with the Daryl DVDs. While I think its an excellent resource they SHOULD go after Card College. And even before Card College would be royal road to card magic.

On another note, I completely agree with a previous post by cutewhite. On another section of the Café in the dvd review section I made a statement as to why I thought putting out a dvd of RRTCM is negative, and my post got trashed. But cutewhite(if he was the one) made a good point that I partially realiezd.

The book Royal Road to Card magic is excellent. It was the first book I started out with, and I have done pretty well. On the other hand, just like cutewhite said, I don't think Paul Wilson is fit for the job. He cannot present tricks well, and he can't handle the cards as good as many other people. There were things on Hit the Road that he explained pretty well, but these do not look good to me.

You're best bet is to get the book, then go to Card College, and then if you still have time, money, energy, and your hands are exhausted then get the Daryl sleights and revelations, but then again that 13 more dvds to watch.

If Paul Wilson was better, or someone else had done the series than maybe it would be different.

In a final response to Marco and Scorch you interesting points, but for a newbie I would definetly go for Scorch's argument(which is not the Daryl dvds).

Also if a newbie starts with the Daryl series is would be way to overwhelming. I own and have seen the entire Daryl sleights series more than once, and I definetly do not think its good for a newbie. Both RRTCM and Card College are better in that they teach phsychology, presentation and are outlined in a good way in that after a few sleights are taught then a good trick. And with the Daryl series he teaches fast but well. which would be very overwhelming for a newbie.

So for the newbies get RRTCM but not the dvds. I will also pass on this set. I'm saving my $ until something good comes out.

just my two centavos

We are talking about a DVD set, not a book series. Why should Daryl`s encyclopedia be overwhelming? It is comprehensive, yes, but you don`t have to watch it all at once. He says it himself in the introduction. It is a resource and you can go through it step by step.

If you say his set is too overwhelming, this would be like saying "a college dictionary is overwhelming for somebody who has just started learning English". You get the point? Who says you have to learn all the words or read the whole book?

I cannot understand you guys on this topic. Recommending a 5-dollar-DVD set over Daryl`s DVD set for a newbie. And don`t come with your price argument again, scorch. We are talking about the benefit and the quality and not the cheapest stuff you can get!!!!
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Hmmmm...I know this has nothing to do with the original question, but,
I saw Daryl at a convention years ago before there were DVD's. He had VHS's out.
And the first few Card College books were just out. I asked Daryl the difference, and in one sentence he said it depends on whether you like to learn from books or videos.
I grew up with books. But I bought both. There are some moves I just can't do from watching, but when I read them, it's easy, plus you get more insight. And we know the advantage of video is seeing it being performed, and how it should look.
For the original question:
I don't have the Royal Road DVD's. I agree the reviews are not good. I will not get it based on the reviews.
I do have the original Royal Road to Card Magic BOOK.
I always recommend books to beginners.
How else can they learn the rules of magic?
What would be perfect is a book with a companion DVD.
Make them read the book first, and then watch the DVD.
Does anyone know of any out like this? Did someone write earlier that Card College now did this??

Just some ideas...

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I just went back to look over the contents of the Royal Road DVD's.
It looks like this does follow the book.
I already read the book.
If anyone has a used copy cheap, I might get it just to see how close it is.

ACE
Laurent69
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Laurent69
It realy is a matter of personal opinion. I do own a few dvd's from MM that are top notch (The Pass with Randy Wakeman, Sal Piacentes Lecture Notes) and I must say, when I view a dvd, I can do without the audience. Speaking of Daryl, I purchased his Encyclopedia of Card Sleights Volume 5 (controls) and this is exactly the kind of format I enjoy. One on one.

After reading all the posts and links about the LL release, I cannot conclude that it is a better buy then the MM release. The MM set will fit the bill. I don't think it will make much difference to a newbie. Merci!!!
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Almost off topic... I saw segments of the the MM RRTCM and was sadly disappointed with the demo guy's technique. His grasp of the topic I watched was minimal.

J Hanes
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Marco,
I’m beginning to think you don’t have a copy of Royal Road, as you seem to keep characterizing it as full of self working tricks. I wouldn’t, for example, call Conus Aces, 3 Cards Across, or Everywhere and Nowhere “self working”. I would call some of the stuff on Daryl’s very short list of tricks close to self working. Larry Gray’s spelling trick, and the Clock trick and Think Stop aren’t exactly challenging tricks.

Do you really think that learning those seven tricks will make someone a magician?
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 15:06, Marco S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 14:39, clamon86 wrote:

just my two centavos

We are talking about a DVD set, not a book series. Why should Daryl`s encyclopedia be overwhelming? It is comprehensive, yes, but you don`t have to watch it all at once. He says it himself in the introduction. It is a resource and you can go through it step by step.

If you say his set is too overwhelming, this would be like saying "a college dictionary is overwhelming for somebody who has just started learning English". You get the point? Who says you have to learn all the words or read the whole book?

I cannot understand you guys on this topic. Recommending a 5-dollar-DVD set over Daryl`s DVD set for a newbie. And don`t come with your price argument again, scorch. We are talking about the benefit and the quality and not the cheapest stuff you can get!!!!

You're right in saying that you should go step by step with the Daryl series. But like I said its still very overwhelming no matter how slow or fast you go through it. And when you learn a foreign language do you go straight to the dictionary or encyclopedia. You pick up a 600 page dictionary and start on page 1. That would be way to much if you are just starting out. Well magic work similary. If you are a newbie you wont start with a encyclopedia(in this case the daryl series), you would start with something small. Going back to the foreign language example. When you first reach a different country or just start out you want to begin with a small book of popular phrases and sayings that people use so that you can communicate better. You don't bring a dictionary and look up every word because it doesn't work that way.
In cardmagic for along time, Royal Road to Card Magic was that starting book. It has many sleights, great tricks to apply them to, and presentation(which I'll admit is kinda old). And after you start out that you'll expand maybe to card college which is an expansion on royal road being that it has sleights, tricks, and presentation also. Then after that you may start looking things up and referring to the encyclopedia.

Newbies should take it one step at a time, but that doesn't mean that you should go straight to the encyclopedia.

I'm not sure if you stated this yet, but do you even have RRTCM, because if you didn't that would explain alot. I started with RRTCM and then 2 years later saw the daryl series, and I can speak for myself that if I started with the encyclopedia I would have gone crazy with too many moves.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
In the book (RRTCM) you have the Conus Ace Trick on page 249, Everywhere and Nowhere on page 260 and Three Cards Across on page 278. So much for your question if I have the book (1999 edition, Dover publications).
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I especially don`t like the way the presentation is explained to newbies as an overall super approach to showing your tricks, like "make an amusing remark" (page 270) or " "say to him sotto voce" (page 267). Do you really expect newbies to follow the instructions like this? Sounds rather stilted to me and not adequate for today, especially if they all take these phrases as their template and follow them strictly.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2006-03-01 05:51, Marco S. wrote:
I especially don`t like the way the presentation is explained to newbies as an overall super approach to showing your tricks, like "make an amusing remark" (page 270) or " "say to him sotto voce" (page 267). Do you really expect newbies to follow the instructions like this? Sounds rather stilted to me and not adequate for today, especially if they all take these phrases as their template and follow them strictly.

As someone who started with this book, I found the two items mentioned above to be compelling and useful. Making an amusing remark has never been difficult for me. If I hadn't known what sotto voice meant, I'd have looked it up in the dictionary. I can recall following the instructions in the book almost to the letter, and the results were great. Of course if there was a particular line of patter that I didn't think fit my personality, I would modify it slightly - but I had to do this far less than one would think. The people I showed the tricks to (friends, family, strangers, etc) enjoyed them.

The format was fantastic because as I learned a sleight, I was rewarded by being taught a trick that used the sleight. That way, I wasn't learning sleights in a vacuum. This book was an eye opener for me, that made me realize that I could learn to perform card magic.

I am very curious to see the Paul Wilson DVDs and may actually buy them someday. I'll probably stay away from the MM ones because frankly I can't bear the thought of possibly having to watch Rob Stiff narrarate.
tjo'
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2006-03-01 07:53, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
. I'll probably stay away from the MM ones because frankly I can't bear the thought of possibly having to watch Rob Stiff narrarate.

Rob Stiff may be the most appropriately named narrator in the world of video.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
173 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
I don't think most of you read Laurent69 post . He didn't ask what's the best newbe dvd was or what's better Daryl Dvd's or card college . He wanted to know dose anyone have seen Royal Road Dvd by MM .
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I have the MM copy (my LL copy is in the mail). In my opinion, it was enjoyable and well done. It has an easy to follow format, and builds upon material taught. I thought Rudy Hunter did a more than good job. Yes, there were some flashes and minor mistakes, but as a basic course for inroduction to card magic, it more than meets its objective.

No, I am not a fan of MM and do not buy their products, but this was sent to me. I am sure that I will enjoy the LL version as well. Yes, I feel that Wilson is a better technician, he is world class (not taking away from Hunter, just at a different level). But you don't need Einstein to teach basic math.

Tony
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here's the difference between the two: you could have Oz teach you card magic, or Dai Vernon. With thew L&L set, you get "Vernon".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Like Tony, I have the MM “Royal Road”. I got it because I have seen Rudy Hunter work and enjoyed him. Rudy is “world class” and has traveled the world and making a living performing magic (only recently returned from Japan). You see no more “flashes” than on the Jeff McBride manipulation tapes. Often that is a product of camera angles and poor editing.

I have not seen L&L’s version with Wilson and I probably won’t have the opportunity until it hits the for sale cheap market (in about a year). I cannot compare the two. Wilson is also a ‘world class” performer that has proven his chops again and again.

The MM version is well made and Rudy Hunter does an excellent job of teaching the various slights and moves necessary for the several routines included. The best part of the MM version is that it is affordable and well in the reach of the novice magician who has to watch his/her pennies.

This is a good value and a good return for the money spent.

Note: Rob Stiff does not narrate he only introduces the series.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I liked the MM set. But, comparinng the two, there is a difference.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Well – I received and watched the Royal Road to Card Magic DVD’s and I must say I am impressed. Rudy Hunter does a superb job teaching. (Rudy even throws in a few moves that are not covered in the Royal Road book, but they apply to the particular section he is covering). I especially like his emphasis on presentation and misdirection above the mechanics of a trick or move. I also noticed something quite pleasing - The video format is in widescreen. I find this as a bonus because I have a widescreen format television.

I have only had these DVD’s for 2 days, but I know I am in store for a lot of practice. There is so much material to learn. I watched all four DVD’s. Now I intend to go back and study the moves and effects one at a time and practice them slowly. For me, there is enough material to keep me learning for the next year or two.

I am happy with this purchase – especially since I got this for 1/3 the price, on eBay, for what it retails for.
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I think magic makers 4 dvd set, royal road to card magic is a great start for a complete beginner. I think the person needs a little patience because it is not flashy, and will not be teaching you tricks in 5 minutes.

But it does teach the fundamentals.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any pros or cons for the Royal Road To Card Magic DVD by MM. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL