The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Training moves with both hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
I know most clips and holds should be trained with both hands...but what about switches and vanishes, like a bobo switch or some retention of vision vanish. Do most of you coin workers out there train everything up with both hands, so there is a lot of flexibility?
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I don't train both hands for everything.
If I feel it will improve a routine I will work on training my non-dominant hand.

For me, some vanishes like ROV and switches like Bobo's are more comfortable using my dominant hand (RH). Others like Shuttle Passes work better from my LH.
Some sleights like EG and back clips I can do fairly well with both hands.

When I feel uncomfortable using a sleight with either hand I know there's alternatives.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Back in the early 80's I hurt when my right hand was injured, I started learning stuff with my left.

It can help cut down angles that different crowds present.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I'm right-handed but, probably because of playing guitar, my left hand is often the easiest to learn the moves with.

It works out nicely, since my right would most naturally be preoccupied with picking things up, setting things down, etc. it's the more active hand and draws the most attention. This leaves my left free to engage in lots of undetected dirty-work. Mbwahahahahahhhhh... Smile

Regards,

-jjg
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
There is so much worth learning in the world of sleight of hand magic that learning something with both hands just to do it is foolish. If you'll use it then it is certainly worth it but if not, I wouldn't bother.

I would say that there are times when doing things with the non dominant hand can throw off suspicion because your dominant hand is always "clean". If you are working on an effect and it makes sense to do stuff with your non dominant hand then work on it. Once again, if you'll use it then go ahead but don't waste time if you won't use it.

I myself learned to do many things "left handed" working on Mike Gallo material as written. A little tip for those of you working on Gallo material at the moment, he's left handed. If someone had told me that a long time ago I would have saved a lot of time and effort Smile

Dave
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Darwin Ortiz is also left handed. Thankfully, they reversed the photos in the printing process (flopped) of "At The Card Table" and adjusted the text to match.
:readingbook:
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Fat Tony:

It depends on what you are doing. I am left handed, but try to do things with both hands if I can. For example, I only do a muscle pass with my left hand. However, I do many other slights with botn hands (back tumb palm, back palm ect.)

As David said, there is a lot to learn and you have to make decisions on what you want to learn and find the time to practice to the point the move is done without thinking.

Good luck

Craig
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
Thank you for all your replies. I myself am left handed...I've never seen so many left handed people in one place..heh!
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Training moves with both hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL