The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
evanmartin
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of evanmartin
Just curious, has anyone seen Joe Jesse's Xtreme Koin Magic dvd - and would you suggest this to a newbie? (I have Michael Ammar's complete intro. to coin magic and I love it.) I've tried searching this forum for Joe Jesse and Xtreme Koin Magic, but can't turn up any info regarding how appropriate it is for newbies.

I feel like Ammar's dvd has plenty to keep me busy practicing for a long time, but I would like to get a great second-stage dvd that also has some teaching... and which might help give me a better idea about connecting individual techniques into full routines. I may not be able to do them yet, but seeing more great coin magic would really give me better understanding about what to imagine myself doing with my coins a year from now (if not before Smile. ...partly for dreaming, partly for extending the teaching/learning in Ammar).

Thanks for your suggestions.
Evan
otter606
View Profile
New user
Scotland
89 Posts

Profile of otter606
I've been learning coin magic for about 8 months now, from bobo and DVDs.
I would definitely recommend Ammar's DVD as a first purchase, it contains many
straightforward effects which only depend on a few sleights.
David Stone DVDs, especially no2 is much more involved - many of the routines are designed for a stage type presentation and each routine is pretty challenging.
The Roth videos especially no2 are sublime, very effective but I think technically a little easier than the David Stone routines.
Once you've got the basics. I like Cody Fishers DVD Unforgettable coin magic - it only has 3 routines but they are not technically too hard and are quite clever routines with audience participation - but you will need some g****d coins though.
toolman22
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of toolman22
I've been studing coin magic for a short time now. I have found Bobo to be more than enough for a begginig magician.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Joe Jessies dvd is excellent Thematerial covered is for any level

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On 2005-09-13 10:35, cosermann wrote:
I'll add a question to this topic by way of analogy.

I think most (many) would agree that the Royal Road to Card Magic is a/the "classic" text on card magic. Some also suggest that the Card College series is a bit more modern and easier to learn from.

So, my question is: If Bobo is the "classic" text on coin magic, is there a more modern analogue?

Thanks.

That's a good question, I'm a coin guy and have never really thought about it. If I had to pick, I'd say the closest probably would be either, Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" or Kaufman's "COINMAGIC." I'd also like to hear what others have to say about this.

-Bill
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2005-12-02 13:44, Bill Citino wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-09-13 10:35, cosermann wrote:
I'll add a question to this topic by way of analogy.

I think most (many) would agree that the Royal Road to Card Magic is a/the "classic" text on card magic. Some also suggest that the Card College series is a bit more modern and easier to learn from.

So, my question is: If Bobo is the "classic" text on coin magic, is there a more modern analogue?

Thanks.

That's a good question, I'm a coin guy and have never really thought about it. If I had to pick, I'd say the closest probably would be either, Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" or Kaufman's "COINMAGIC." I'd also like to hear what others have to say about this.
-Bill

A long time ago in a post far far away....I had brought forth the desire on my part to have a modernized collection of coin magic effects, sleights, and/or routines compiled into one nice big modernized and updated set of volumes called Coin College (aptly named, of course, to be in line with the Card College format).You would have to read the posts in that topic of discussion to believe the responses. While many were for it...some were actually against the idea. Search and enjoy.
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
50 Posts

Profile of themaestro
I have not read the entire thread, but doing a search through all the pages for "buckley" and not finding it, a book I would think would need to be recommended would be Arthur Buckley's "Principles and Deceptions."

Also there is a new DVD by Eric Evans "The Secret Art of Coin Manipulation" that I would think would be very useful for beginners too; though it certainly is not aimed just at them and has some advanced stuff on it. It not only teaches the most fundamental sleights (French Drop, Downs Palm, CLassic Palm, etc. )in exacting detail, but does so in the context of his stand-up coin routine that shows how to apply them in a way that creates emotional involvement and interaction with your audience. It also has a lot of work on Jumbo Coins that is not available elsehwere, and includes specially manufactured jumbo manip coins that are a more correct size (2 5/8") than normally found (3" coins are too big for most people's hands) and with precision milling on the edges for good grip.

You can read more about it and the special introductory price here: http://www.secretartofmagic.com/secretcoin2.htm

Nowlin
Nowlin Craver
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
50 Posts

Profile of themaestro
I got word by PM that the above link was not working. The link was right but there was problems with the domain hosting, but it's now working for those who were interested but couldn't get there.

Nowlin
Nowlin Craver
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Here's thought... what if magic videos were available a la carte [choose sleight or routine from a menu for a given price] similar to iPod/iTunes?

Navigate to Magic/Coin Magic/Sankey/RCM, choose "Mr. Clean Coins Across" and pay $3 or whatever.

Could it work? Would that be good for magic, and magicians?
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
My first sleight of hand book was "Now You See It, Now You Don't" by Bill Tarr. Sometimes good drawings can be better than pictures.

KeithP
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
About Bobo's Modern Coin Magic,
I agree it is a good choice. It serves more than one purpose. Using it forces you to teach yourself how to turn words into 3 dimentional motion for YOUR hands. That lesson is just as important as the effects themselves. Also remember that a lot of coin effects can be done with sponge balls with a little modification. The effects that require that "clink" might not convert so easily.

KeithP
TaylorM
View Profile
New user
Chicago
25 Posts

Profile of TaylorM
I have gone through Bobo's modern coin magic and was wondering what to get next- so I lurked around and found that Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" or Kaufman's "Coin Magic" would be good choices- well I got Kaufman's book and let me tell you, I made a great decision if I say so myself- it was exactly what I was looking for as a next step in my coin magic progression. It gets my highest recommendation!

~Taylor
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
I would also recommend that if you are going to get Bobo's book you get the hardback version if possible. It has 4 extra chapters not available in the paperback version. I sadly found this out after the fact.Smile
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
psyrules510
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of psyrules510
Is hardback version usually different from the paperback?
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
Personally, I have only seen the "revised and greatly enlarged" version in hardback. However, there may be a trade paperback version I am unaware of. I found a hardback version on the shelves of this store, http://themagiccorner.com/ the other day. If you are in the area the store is located off US1 in Raleigh. the book was about 40 bucks or so. Hope this helps.
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
The link for the BoBo study guide no longer works, is there another source for the guide?
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I found a great copy of the revised Bobo used for $15 at Amazon.com.

Now, what should my second book be? The Barnowsky book? Something by David Roth? I want a general book that takes me beyond Bobo.

Then after that I think something by Dan Watkins because I just have to learn "Jumbolaya!"

Anyone?
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Best book - Coinmagic, by Kaufman. Don't forget to check out Al Schneider on Coins, for some good material. Follow that with the Roth book, and you have some great material. For DVD's, decide if you want to learn from Ammar or Roth for the basics, and then check out my own Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights for a plethora of moves that will expand your knowledge and ability with coins. Then, with all that in hand, you can expand your repetoire with Roth stuff, my own stuff, the New York Coin Magic Seminar Vol one on Coins Across (blatent plug, but it really contains great material, and you will learn more than just a coins across routine...its a whole course on workable coin magic!). Love the Kam DVD's as well, there is a large amount of commercial coin magic. Gallo has a few tapes that are overlooked - DON'T! - you can find them on his website, http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net . Go to his product page, and pick up that special tape only found through him. You won't regret it. OK, we have set a course. Now you can fill in with McClintock, Dill, Hoosier, Stone (my own thoughts are that these are NOT the ones to learn basic stuff from, but certainly worth a look to study his interesting style and good ideas), and the list goes on.
Last but not least, if you really want to enjoy coin magic, time to check out the New York Coin Magic Seminar FOUR on June 10th, outside of Philadelphia. Six hours of practical coin magic taught by the Masters. In Person. Personal instruction. Free stuff. Pizza.
With a zillion posts on this thread, there are a bunch of good suggestions. Hope my own list has helped in some way.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Wow. That's what I was looking for. It's great to have in-depth advice from someone who really knows their stuff.

Thanks, Dr. Rubinstein.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Well, I'd like to thank everyone for this thread, just brought Roth's first DVD and Bobo's book. Now to sit down and practice lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL