The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Snap Flash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
For those who have used Snap Flash, how did you incorporate it into a routine?

Is there some way to make this product safer and easier to use?
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
Don't think I ever heard of this..What is snap flash?
Don Smile
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
Don,
Snap flash allows the magician to produce a impressive flash and report at the fingertips.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Hmmmmm....
<remembers setting fire to his fingers and a friend's setee with this item...>

A word of warning.. I was young and foolish when I first had this item, I put too much of the powder on my fingers and it lingered.. it burnt! My natural reaction was to shake my hand to stop the burning.

This resutled in burning a magician friend's setee.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
If this is what I think it is, it involves a specific form of phosphorus and other chemicals. I've read about it in several chemistry texts but I've only seen it done once. It was done by Tony Andruzzi at a private get-together. It went bang/flash, burned his fingers and caused profound yawns on the part of the spectators.(As later events proved, he shouldn't have had anything at all to do with fire.)

I don't see the point of the effect but I do see and want to point out the dangers of it.
You might or might not like to know that, in addition to the likelihood of burns, there is some danger of phosphorus poisoning. (The expression, "Mad as a hatter," comes from the fact that poisoning from the phophorus used in the hat making process caused brain damage.)

My advice is to put your efforts into something more productive. This thing just ain't worth it.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Mine just turned hard and no good,
had to toss it out! Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Some 15 years ago it used to be marketed as "Devil's Flash". I had the formula but was advised by a chemist friend to stay away from it.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I agree with the postings above... I certainly stayed away from it after my initial run in.

As for it affecting my mental health........
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
In penguinmagic.com I saw "Special Effects Finger Flint Flasher", is this the gimmick you guys are talking about? It says on the web that we need to use flash cotton, it doesn't say anything about powder as gambituk1 mentioned....and how long is the flash can last on your fingertip? 5 seconds? less or longer?
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

cardfreax,

no, this is not the same.

The finger Flint flasher is a device, the other is 2 vials of powders and not recommended!!!
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
So which one do you recommend me to use?

So, is the finger Flint flasher safe to use and with this one, is it just a spark or is it actually fire on your fingertip?

I am considering buying this device...Thanks.
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
I quit using the snap flash. Like everyone else says, "IT CAN BURN"
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Quote:
On 2003-05-29 18:30, Sid Mayer wrote:
If this is what I think it is, it involves a specific form of phosphorus and other chemicals. I've read about it in several chemistry texts but I've only seen it done once. It was done by Tony Andruzzi at a private get-together. It went bang/flash, burned his fingers and caused profound yawns on the part of the spectators. (As later events proved, he shouldn't have had anything at all to do with fire.)

I don't see the point of the effect but I do see and want to point out the dangers of it.
You might or might not like to know that, in addition to the likelihood of burns, there is some danger of phosphorus poisoning. (The expression, "Mad as a hatter," comes from the fact that poisoning from the phophorus used in the hat making process caused brain damage.)

My advice is to put your efforts into something more productive. This thing just ain't worth it.

Sid

I agree with Sid. There are to many things that can go wrong with this product.
Sparkle Flash is a product from White Rabbit Magic that works well.
http://www.whiterabbitmagic.net
is the address if you would like to see a clip.

Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Quote:
On 2003-05-29 18:30, Sid Mayer wrote:
.. there is some danger of phosphorus poisoning. (The expression, "Mad as a hatter," comes from the fact that poisoning from the phophorus used in the hat making process caused brain damage.)

Sid

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was actually mercury that was used in the hat processing, and the dangers of mercury poisoning are well known.
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Yes I knew of someone that burned the tip of his finger using it.

My suggestion...
stay away from snap flash!
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
You might or might not like to know that, in addition to the likelihood of burns, there is some danger of phosphorus poisoning. (The expression, "Mad as a hatter," comes from the fact that poisoning from the phophorus used in the hat making process caused brain damage.) Sid

Sorry Sid,
While phosphorus is certainly dangerous,
"mad as a hatter" came from hatters using mercury to make brims of hats stiff.

I can tell you from personal experience
however, once the snap flash has burned a hole in your thumb, you won't think about using it again.

The effect is not really that great.

Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I'm sorry too ... about my phosphoric error. I've always had difficulty distinguishing between hats and thermometers.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I once did it a few times in a row and started to get a little bold (stupid). I loaded up my fingers and Smile and nothing happened. All of a sudden the stuff ignited and stayed "glued" to both my fingers. I started to do a little Smile rubbing my fingers together trying desperatly to put them out. Smile The stuff continued to burn until I got my fingers under the faucet. Smile
I actually wore scabs on both my fingers for about a month.
So be careful!!
Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
245 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
This was used in a hunted house show that I advised for at a major theme park in Utah.

A performer used snap flash 20-30 times a night, five nights a week for 3 weeks. In the middle of the fourth week the performer became lazy about the safety issues we talked about before the run of the show and didn't advise anyone that the cardboard divide I created had been torn. As the actress quickly pushed her hand down into the tray, the divider tore in half and the two powders mixed. The unified pile made a loud bang and gave her third degree burns all over her hand.

She did not finish the season and I was not called back to assist in following years.
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
How much is Snap Flash? Would it be safe for performing infront of children or would they get the wrong ideas and try to make one themselves?
Shadow Dancer
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Snap Flash (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL