The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Seeking illusion ideas involving puzzle boxes... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I normally don't work on illusion designs this way, but for some reason I'm trying to work backwards. I like the idea of manipulating a large puzzle-box on stage, shifting and turning the pieces, and possibly moving around large sections of it, but can't think of a good effect to build this around. (I'll handle the method myself once I know the effect.)

So- any ideas for effects? (Please, Asian-style puzzle boxes, not Hellraiser-style Smile ) The box should be big enough to fit an assistant inside. Whether it's a vanish, appearance, something involving twisting and stretching her around, or whatever- I'll leave that up to you guys.

(Man, I must be a masochist, since I'm intending on building this kind of thing myself... Don't hold back because of this, though- I've built big illusions before, and can get pretty intricate where the mechanisms are concerned.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I do a lot of wood working, and I collect japanese puzzle boxes... I have often thought of trying to make my own, but then I think about it and shudder.

Do you have any references for building these sorts of things?
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
So you basically want a six foot by six foot by six foot Rubic's cube (or maybe slightly smaller). The colors on the cube show that it has been twisted out of shape. You toss out to the audience some identical hand-held Rubic's Cubes and have them verify that their small Rubic's Cubes are identically matched side for side to the giant one. You challenge them to solve their cubes as quickly as you solve yours. Your assistants hold the giant cube up so you can twist and turn it as the audience members are trying to sort out theirs. You should finish ahead of everyone else. Then you open up the center block on each of the four sides and pull out a female assistant. You lower a trapeze from the flies to remove a fifth assistant from the top of the cube. Finally you tilt back the giant cube and release the sixth assistant from the bottom.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Leapinglizards - references are a bunch of google images for the proper "flavor"; the actual shape, look, and functionality would be based on the requirements of the illusion.

jimgerrish - Interesting idea; I could probably do it with a 3'x3' cube (the limiting factor being the size of the center doors.) Two problems, though- Rubik's Cube is trademarked, and I don't have that many assistants. Smile It is getting a few ideas floating through my brain, though.

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
"Seven Towns Ltd is pleased to entertain any proposals for the use of the overall image of the RUBIK'S CUBE TM, as an object, as a moving image or as a two-dimensional representation, for entertainment, promotional, publicity and advertising purposes." - http://www.rubiks.com

It might be worth getting written permission and getting invitations to perform at Rubik's Cube gatherings, contests and conventions!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Any other ideas floating out there? The mechanics needed for a hollow, yet functional, Rubik's Cube are, in theory, possible to design and build. But they make my brain hurt. I guess I could go another route for this, but it'll reduce the functionality of the prop rather severely. ("Great! You solved it! Personally, I always cheat by breaking it apart and putting it back together properly...")

Asian puzzle boxes have sliding parts, twisting parts, and sometimes movable/removable rods... hmm. Maybe something that is obviously empty during the opening process, or would crush anything contained inside? ... Sorry, rambling here Smile

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I was thinking along the lines of just a giant spinning Rubik's Cube that has color changing sides to make it SEEM as if it works along the same lines as the little hand-held cubes. In other words, it's an ILLUSION. I'd hate to be inside a functional Rubik's cube- it would be like Twister Cubed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Seeking illusion ideas involving puzzle boxes... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL