The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Table hoppers & party strollers Vox Box (Magic Smith) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
a.lien
View Profile
New user
Germany
36 Posts

Profile of a.lien
Hi!

Does anybody know the effect called Vox Box? Its supposed to be like this: You borrow an object from a spectator (ring, coin, etc.) and grab it with your left hand. In your right hand youre holding a card case (Bicycle) and in just one instant, the object in your left hand disappears and is the revealed inside the card case. Apparently you can also have the card case lying on the table the whole time.
Its been said that there are no visible moves.

I was wondering if this effect was practical for table hopping or even on stage (with video-beamer).

Thanks for any comments, guys!

Alex
Smile
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
Gutentag!

I've never purchased Vox Box, but have seen it demonstrated. I think it can be a versatile prop, making many a thing vanish. I think it's a good tool for table hopping because it turns something you'd have with you (an empty card box) into a useful disapearing/reapearing tool. However, I think I'd crush it in my pockets over time, and that it would eventually start to look like the nasty boxes which now hold my spare Card Warp and T&R gimmicks/set-ups.

You know what, no, for the mere fact that I would find it a pain to keep in decent shape, I call it un-practical for table hopping. (If I was smart I'd get it and protect it somehow). I've seen threads by people who use it on other boards. Mixed reviews.

Smile
a.lien
View Profile
New user
Germany
36 Posts

Profile of a.lien
Thanks Verno Inferno for your post. I recently ordered the prop and I wonder if its just a version of a regular ring flight.

I wished I saw it performed like you for better judgement, but I take your post as a good proof that its not a bad trick.

Thanks again!

Alex
Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
I used to use Peter Kane's Ring to Card Case in my restaurant work. That was easy enough to remake when the box got battered and was probably the inspiration for Vox Box.It was in his "Sessions" booklets.

I have no doubt it is good, but the hammering it will take from a busy table hopper IS something to take into consideration. Use on stage with a video screen is a different ball game, you won't be using it over a dozen times a night.

Paul.

Paul.
longbeach
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ont
141 Posts

Profile of longbeach
VOX BOX is great! you can keep a deck of cards in it if you like, so it won't easily get bent out of shape!
nothing but good things to say about this.

PM if you want more details.
a.lien
View Profile
New user
Germany
36 Posts

Profile of a.lien
Hi Longbeach,

thanks for your post. I got the vox box yesterday and it IS indeed great and very simple!

The only thing is that right now Im looking for another way to vanish an object out of my one hand instead the "classic false pass and palming" before having it reappear out of the box. Im sure its perfect for laymen its just that most of my friends know this typical basic move of magicians to vanish objects in your hand and I just wanna surprise them.

In other words: Ive been looking for a move, where the spectators can actually see me THROWING a coin into my hand instead of pretending to LAY it there, close my hand and suddenly its gone..!

I must admit, that eventhough I always used to do certain close up magic Im normally performing illusions and thats why I never had the need to learn a lot of slight of hand. Dont get me wrong, Im not one of those illusionists, that have two left hands and there are quite a few slights I can do pretty well but ironically, the moves to vanish a small object like a coin or so is either to do a palming or using the raven.

Do you have any idea how I can grab an object with my left hand without having to pass it from one hand to another and yet to vanish it in the very same hand? Something like John Cornelius "Vanishing Nickle", only more simple and practical..?

Of course, it can only be a coin that can be substituted by another one and not a boroughed ring.

Any ideas?
Id appreciate any comments..!

Thanks,
Alex.

Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
There is a plastic card box for $30.00. It is the vox box. But it is called the, 'Lighting card case'

It will last a long time!

Ray Noble
longbeach
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ont
141 Posts

Profile of longbeach
A.lien- interesting question.

The best way would probably be to backpalm the coin/ring clipped diagonally between the pinky and ring finger. So it is placed in the hand, hand is closed, regripped in backpalm, opened to show hand is empty, then call attention instantly to the rattle in the box.

Then I suppose you could use the Raven for a really clean vanish and reproduce an identical coin (probably not a ring) from somewhere else.

Or use VOX BOX in conjuction with a ring flight system, so the ring flight could do all the vanishing for you, "reproduce" the coin in the box, wave your hand over it, and it is found cleanly in that strange key case most ring flights use.

I'd go for the backpalm idea.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Alex, I perform with my sleeves rolled up. But prior to me doing this, I used to sleeve some objects for a complete vanish. If sleeved correctly, this can look very magical. It is also very easy to retrieve the object for loading elsewhere.
Check Carl Cloutier's material for sleeving.
Rich B.
a.lien
View Profile
New user
Germany
36 Posts

Profile of a.lien
Thank you everybody for all your remarks and advice!
I think Ill try the sleeving method as I used to do this before and completely had forgotten about this pretty easy and clean method.
Also, the Raven is pretty cool for laymen audience. It looks very magical, but you cant have the coin marked before. But I believe the effect itself makes up for that and the audience will always be blown after watching it!

Thanks guys for all your help!
A.lien
Smile
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Magic Smith also carries plastic Bicycle Card Boxes. They look exactly like the regular boxes (red or blue) but are made of plastic and they won't get beat up like the paper boxes. While I haven't seen the insides of the Vox Box, I don't doubt you can make one with the plastic case.
Cheers,
Chris
Ropefiend
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Ropefiend
The plastic Vox Box I bought was only good for about a dozen performances. Opening and closing the case caused the flap to break off. Plastic is actually more fragile than cardboard and begins to weaken with each repeated use. MagicSmith agreed with this and graciously replaced the plastic case with the cardboard case. Of course, they could have improved the construction by now, but that was my experience a year ago. I now use the cardboard version which is agreat prop
yoey2000
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of yoey2000
When I first read the trick I was amazed. But when I saw the video, I knew how it was done. It's a good thing I saw the video or would have dished out 20 bucks for something I misread.

"Appear in your card case"

????????? Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
A.Lien. Sounds like you need to learn the toss vanish!

I suspect I'll be getting this for Christmas--I'll post my opinion of it if I do.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
a.lien,

If you are using the raven you could always place a sticker on the coin before they mark it. This way you can remove it later.

Corey B.
metaphyzix
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of metaphyzix
a.lien, I'm sure you can do a striking vanish instead of the false transfer.
yoey2000
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of yoey2000
This effect doesn't seem worth it for the money it costs. Basically you're doing all the work for it to do one thing which I think someone could make at home.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
It is a really great effect! Affordable too! It will work with any small object and you can store your cards in the box and use it as an ordinary card box, too. Oh, and did I say examinable? Always trust Magicsmith. I have used mine every day since I got it and it has not shown any sign of wear or tear. So, you can call it a long lasting prop too! Go get it!
Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
I've seen Eric Anderson make a rattle card box for just Pennies, IMHO better than the VoxBox. It may be similar to Peter Kane's Ring to CardCase (as mentioned in an earlier post). If it is, I recommend finding the booklet "Sessions" and preparing your own box.
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
375 Posts

Profile of Bill
I use it with a Devil's handkerchief. The spectator is holding the ring up until the last minute and vanishes in their hands. Also you can show the Vox Box empty and if you're careful even shake it to show nothing is in it. Then Presto. It's a great effect. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Table hoppers & party strollers Vox Box (Magic Smith) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL