The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Show for 200 people! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Someone asked me to do a show at a college graduation for over 200 kids and adults. I sadly turned the down and recommended someone who can accommodate the crowd. I would like to put together s routine that is for this kind of situation, a big crowd on stage. I have no idea on this topic. So what do you guys recommend?
How long should it be??? What kind of effects?? How to work the audience and etc. ...
All advice would be great!

six
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
This is a tough topic to cover. First find the purpose your there. To entertain college kids, think, if you were a college kid, and you wanted to be entertained before you go to the world.
You can prob only keep them for at most 45 min.
Now discuss what kind of stage magic you prefer.........I don't care what you own, what do you PREFER to do....big illusions, comedy, mentalism??
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
For me its definately comedy.But its hard to accomidate over 200 peopel with comedy gags becouse they may be too small.WHat do you think???Are there any comedy tapes out that have magicians performing for crowds this big?This way I can see what size props and stuff they use??
Williamanon
View Profile
New user
Atlantic Canada
45 Posts

Profile of Williamanon
It really depends on what the client wants. Are they asking for a full blown 90 minute show or a ten minute filler? The other thing to consider is that the college crowd can be a tough group. You need a seamless routine with absolutely NO dead space so that there is no opportunity for any comments from the audience.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
That is true.How bout a regular show for a crowd this big??
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
What kind of magic do you now have? What types of effects do you preform? If it is going to be a stage show then you will need to do effects that can be easily seen from the stage. You may be able to just pump up your show you have now buy adding a few extra illusions.

Steven
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Regarding performing for a larger crowd, I'm guessing you're making a jump from performing mostly closeup stuff to now working on some platform/stage style tricks? Many effects that are awesome close up just don't play on a stage (consider most tabled card tricks, CMH, etc.), but some can be adapted to a stage just by making them bigger. Assuming you have a good set of magic to show people, the next important thing (2 things, really) are to make sure you can be seen and heard. Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment" covers all of this very well. So in selecting effects to perform for a larger crowd, think of whether they are visual enough to be seen by a large crowd. Some close up effects can be adapted (go from a poker sized deck to a Big Bicycle Jumbo deck instead) and be visible from a stage. Instead of doing Prof. Nightmare with the little clothesline from WalMart, get some brilliant white (or colored) rope from Camirand, and it'll be visible from further away. Do what you do best, just think of ways to make it play bigger. If you have some sight gags that get laughs up close but you're worried people might not be able to see them, can you make them bigger? You mentioned that comedy works for you, I'd recommend picking up Michael Finney's DVDs and seeing some of the stuff he does. No big stage illusions or anything, he carries it all in a briefcase but it plays big and he is able to keep everyone entertained! Hope this helps!
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I'm no expert, but if you're just making the jump to stand-up magic, I would personally recommend doing an hour or two of strolling, if you're more comfortable with that, and then maybe a 20 minute stand-up set.
Considerations to, uh, consider:.... lighting... sound system... music/cds... stage or floor... seating style (will you be surrounded?)... is there other entertainment such as a band that will be using valuable stage space?...
Good luck!
PM me if you'd like any pointers... (for what they're worth) Smile
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
It is good that you don't jump into an area until you feel competent.

As it has been said, exposure by masked magicians, may not be as bad as exposures by magician that do not fit the venue.

When I was younger, I learned a lot by jumping in too soon.

Although I like to share with small groups, large groups are a lot of fun.

Laughter is contagious, and sometimes it is easier to get "big laughs" from a large crowd. Things I include in these type of shows include...

Vent
Strait Jacket Escape
More time with juggling routine
Newspaper t & r or "no tear" r
Ropes (in bright colors like red/green or yellow.

Things I am thinking of adding is the

Growing and Shrinking Head...

Anyone on this section of the Café played with it?

Other things that would go over might include:
Comedy Hypnotism
Escape Magic
Quick change from or to "Cap and Gown".

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Williamanon
View Profile
New user
Atlantic Canada
45 Posts

Profile of Williamanon
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 16:33, nathanallen wrote:
I'm no expert, but if you're just making the jump to stand-up magic, I would personally recommend doing an hour or two of strolling, if you're more comfortable with that, and then maybe a 20 minute stand-up set.
Considerations to, uh, consider:.... lighting... sound system... music/cds... stage or floor... seating style (will you be surrounded?)... is there other entertainment such as a band that will be using valuable stage space?...
Good luck!
PM me if you'd like any pointers... (for what they're worth) Smile

An excellent list of things to consider. To it I would add some books and study time. First of all there is "Applause and How to Get It" by Henning Nelms. It is an excellent piece by a master of the stage on how to build a routine and work on timing.

You should also look at the works of Eugene Burger http://www.magicbeard.com/

Eugene emphasizes developing the character of the magiacian's persona that you will be on stage. If you can get a real copy of "Growing in the Art of Magic" you will find lots of gems that will help you make the transition to stage.

Hope this helps.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1716 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Go to a comedy club & watch some really good entertainers hold an audience

I have 1 friend who works the comedy club I play who entertained over 1000 people with a Marshmellow & a rat trap!!- One of the Funniest acts going!!

Great advice previous I recommend doing a bit of strolling as experience then do 5-10 min stage spot of your absolute best material-If its too slow drop it from your act!! even if its a favourite effect!

Its very difficult to make a transition from 1 to the other eg:close up & keep the crowd entertained! with out prior trial& error

Michael Finneys DVD is brilliant-highly recommended for pack small play big~

Good Luck!
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
The showroom in which Mac King works at Harrah's seats more than 200. He does card tricks, rope tricks and tricks with goldfish. For 1500 people, you need big props, for 200 you can do close-up as long as you "play it big."
"Don't run with those..."
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Here is my little tip. Do the old fashioned Side Walk Shuffle. Busking helps a lot getting along with big crowds. When I started I was only able to entertain about 10 people. But soon more and more people watched each show. After about a year, the average size was about 100 people and it was easy to do the show. Later 300 people watched and it was still no problem to entertain them. At that point in time I knew I could do a regular show for about 200 people and hold the crowd.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Show for 200 people! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL