The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling Sawing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Does anyone have a link to video of this being performed? I received a link to a clip of Snakebabe performing it on Jerry Springer, but I'd really like to see another take on the illusion. I already have an outline for my own presentation, just looking to see how it's worked for a general audience.

Also, does anyone have a copy of The Magic of Alan Wakeling? It's been out-of-print for a little while, so I'm having trouble buying a copy. I've reconstructed the method, but I'd really like to see some of the finer points that would be spelled out in print. I'm seriously considering this as an illusion I want to build and perform.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1167 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Kalin and Jinger's performance is on the Secrets of Magic DVD that can be found at Amazon.com. Or, if you have the Original Hidden Secrets of Magic special from NBC in the mid-90's on tape, it was on there as well.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-03-04 10:46, Michael Dustman wrote:
Kalin and Jinger's performance is on the Secrets of Magic DVD that can be found at Amazon.com. Or, if you have the Original Hidden Secrets of Magic special from NBC in the mid-90's on tape, it was on there as well.

I looked on Amazon and couldn't find either of them.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
You can add a few things to the Wakeling sawing which I added to make it a bit more unique....around the assistant's neck I have that collar locked with a small master lock with a key as well as the feet. As for the Wakeling book...good luck I had to search for 4 months and I got the very last copy that amazon had...it a collectors item so getting one for under $300 is rare!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
At least I've heard that Steinmeyer is trying to get the book republished, soon. I hope that he's successful. I can certainly get all of the information that I need to build it, since it is a combination of a couple of illusions and the video fills in a lot of details. I also have a few ideas to further enhance the illusion. I've been looking at some photos of the illusion, as it's made by different builders, which gives me more ideas.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Quote:
On 2006-03-04 10:57, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-04 10:46, Michael Dustman wrote:

I looked on Amazon and couldn't find either of them.

amazon.com
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
761 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Try H&R magic books http://magicbookshop.com/ they may have a copy. I picked one up at a magic shop that had been on the shelf for a while.
I like the Wakeling sawing, it seems to fool the people who have seen the thin tabled method exposed.
The description in the book on the construction is good, but could use more details.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2006-03-04 11:27, Lusion wrote:
As for the Wakeling book...good luck I had to search for 4 months and I got the very last copy that amazon had...it a collectors item so getting one for under $300 is rare!

I have one being sent to me that I got for $50.00. I was told it is in great condition. I guess we will see when it gets here on about Wednesday.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:

Are you sure that the Wakeling Sawing is on there? The description didn't go into much detail.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Yes, I just watched it last week.
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
There are videos with the Wakeling sawing out there on the web:

http://snakebabe.com/Video/springerselbit.wmv

I will look for some more when I get a chance.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
761 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Don't use Snakebabe's routine for an example, you need to see Kalin, or Rick Thomas do this one.
I have seen both on TV, and live. They present the illusion as it should be done.
As for construction, the apparatus is pretty basic. The Wakeling book doesn't go into much detail other than some measurements.
It does explain the method, and give a good description of the routine along with pictures of Wakeling performing it.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-03-04 15:11, Alan Munro wrote:
At least I've heard that Steinmeyer is trying to get the book republished, soon.

Alan, Jim's newsletter on his web site indicates that he's working on getting the Wakeling book re-published, but that it will be in a different format.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-03-06 12:46, 61magic wrote:
Don't use Snakebabe's routine for an example, you need to see Kalin, or Rick Thomas do this one.
I have seen both on TV, and live. They present the illusion as it should be done.
As for construction, the apparatus is pretty basic. The Wakeling book doesn't go into much detail other than some measurements.
It does explain the method, and give a good description of the routine along with pictures of Wakeling performing it.

I have no intention of using the Snakebabe routine. It gives me some ideas of the construction of the apparatus and some of the limitations of her routine. I'm also able to see how it should have been presented for a general audience.

I'm going to use information from a couple of plans for the Thin Model Sawing (Great Illusions of Magic, Osborne plans), plus the Selbit Sawing (Greater Magic). I can see that the assistant's hands need to be restrained, so I have a great idea on how to do it without slowing the pace of the routine.

I will probably have a sword maker make the blades and the swords. They'll look much better than what most prop makers would make. I'll do the assembly work and see if I can find someone to cut the wood to size. I'll cut the trim.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I've heard it called the Selbit Sawing with Wakeling/Steinmeyer Improvements. Without giving the secret of course, what do these "improvements" accomplish? What's the difference from the original?

Kalin and Jinger's version is the best. Try to track it down to see how it SHOULD be done.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Alan, should you be interested in seeing some really good close-ups of the illusion being built, I just found some disks. My former company built 16 of these prior to closing down. We invented a new method of detachment/attachment which made the move a lot quicker and easier for the assistant. You'll see other improvements we made along the way. Give me a holler if you would like to see them.
Best regards,
Bill Thomas
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Can someone describe the basic different methods of sawing as their are so many detailed posts but nothing introductory. How many version of sawing a women in half are there. Any video links would be appreciated. I have the Burton Magic on TV? What version is this?

A
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Also, FWIW, the Wakeling version was performed by someone on the Craig Ferguson show last week. I cannot remember who did it, though. Possibly Rick Thomas, but I can't be sure without going back and watching it. Either way, it's an EXTREMELY recent clip if anyone wants to see it.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
It was Rick Thomas, who also perfromed his bird act, which was done very poorly, he flashed a ton!
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Yea, I wasn't too crazy about the bird act, myself...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling Sawing (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL