The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling Sawing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Can someone describe the basic different methods of sawing as their are so many detailed posts but nothing introductory. How many version of sawing a women in half are there. Any video links would be appreciated. I have the Burton Magic on TV? What version is this?

A
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
This is not a new thread, it has been talked about b4, the Wakeling Sawing is a beautiful effect because it seperates the men from the boys so to speak. This illusion requires you to have a great presentation and a flair, if not then it will be flat. That is the reason that many others stay away from this illusion. I have a no-boxes saeing that I have not worked into my show becasue I love the wakeling sawing so much! LOL
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Rick Thomas doing it on TV! He kicks butt at it for sure!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qTt92Tb23g8
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-06-01 10:43, Wade Live wrote:
Rick Thomas doing it on TV! He kicks butt at it for sure!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qTt92Tb23g8

I agree. When the Wakeling Sawing is performed well, it kicks butt.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
The sawing was great, first time I've seen that, but yikers on the bird act.
leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
I have seen Rick perform this illusion 5 times live, even though this is still go this was the worst performance I have seen in both acts, Bonnie usually does not move so much in the box. But all in all Rick and Mark with Ginger perform the wakeling the best I think.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
A friend found the Wakeling book at "Half Price Books." The second printing must have gone out to the general public, ala "Hiding the Elephant." Either that, or they got them from a magic shop estate sale ...
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
I can confirm that this book is "out to the general public". It can be found on the shelves of most Barnes and Noble stores, in paperback form.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Softbound, and TOO cheap!!

Blair Marshall,
"ShaZzam!"
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks Wade for the YouTube link. The same user that uploaded the Wakeling video also uploaded Lance's version of the Audience Dismember, which I really like because it uses a volunteer from the audience.
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Here's Kalin and Jinger performing the Wakeling Sawing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lcbk4VcUwQ
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
I've said it before- I just don't get this illusion. There is absolutely no improvement here over the classic thin model sawing. Now, I wholeheartedly agree that Steinmeyer is a genius. I do not have the "Magic of Alan Wakeling", so I haven't read Jim's thinking behind the illusion. What I have seen is the top pros doing it (as a layperson would see the illusion) and I just don't get it. In both Kalin and Thomas's case, the presentation is blatantly about "look at how fast my assistant can manipulate around inside this box". I have never seen an illusion which more openly points to the method. As for the presentation being what sells it, and "it's an illusion which a good performer can really build up in the audience's minds", would you say the same thing if I decided to do a zig zag with no body parts showing? No! There is nothing that happens here which can't be done, and done better, with a thin model. No over-proving anything, no moves when the heat is on, both of which occur in this one.

Phil
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3636 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I think it's a nice change from the typical "rubber feet" illusion. There doesn't appear to be any room in the box to move around, and the audience members are convinced that they are holding straps connected to the young lady. I just don't understand why the Wakeling sawing illusion is so darned expensive.

Jim
sethman
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of sethman
In Vegas I held the straps while Rick Thomas was performing this sawing. It really seems as if I was holding her down and she could not move an inch. It's a great illusion.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-06-02 14:55, freefallillusion1 wrote:
[...] I do not have the "Magic of Alan Wakeling", so I haven't read Jim's thinking behind the illusion. What I have seen is the top pros doing it (as a layperson would see the illusion) and I just don't get it. In both Kalin and Thomas's case, the presentation is blatantly about "look at how fast my assistant can manipulate around inside this box". [...]

"Jim's thinking"?

In his book Jim Steinmeyer tells of the life and career of Alan Wakeling, but the illusions described were created by Wakeling without Steinmeyer's help - so "Jim's thinking" is not really an aspect of the illusion. I performed the Wakeling sawing myself numerous times a few years ago and in the video tapes of those performances you can hear audible gasps and cries of "Oh God!" when I slammed the belly blade through the first time. I would have to say your attempt at viewing the illusion "as a layperson" is not succeeding, and you are bringing too much of your magic knowledge to bear.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Since you have not read the book, I will tell you Jim Steinmeyer pointedly states that this illusion requires a strong performer exuding an air of extreme confidence to succeed, so perhaps it's not for you.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Jim, I don't know what to tel you, I also wondered why the Wakeling Sawing was so expensive, even after I bought one and I have build 2 others I couldn't tell you why.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:

Since you have not read the book, I will tell you Jim Steinmeyer pointedly states that this illusion requires a strong performer exuding an air of extreme confidence to succeed, so perhaps it's not for you.

Whoa- easy there. I did not put anyone down with my post, as you just did. I simply stated that I don't understand the logic behind this illusion. It seems to be a huge step backwards in every sense. Every part of the presentation points directly to the method, wheras the thin model incorporates misdirection and when the "magic" does happen, it's done deliberately and in a totally impossible way. You say that it draws strong gasps from the audience? Of course it does. So does the thin model sawing, Modern Art, buzzsaw, etc. Any strong performer can get a good reaction from a good illusion, so that's not necessarily a pro-Wakeling thing. I just can't imagine why, with all the good sawing illusions out there, one would pick the Wakeling. Yes, given the choice, I'd prefer to have a fully visual sawing illusion where a mad chef chops me into 74 quivering pieces and then the bits all levitate up and rejoin in midair. I don't have a 5 or 6 figure budget, though, so given the choice between the thin model and the Wakeling, I don't see why some choose the Wakeling. That was my original question (or pondering, if you like).

Phil
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I think it's a great illusion...I saw it for the first time this week. It had me, and I'm sure it had the audience...it seems impossible, I agree with Jim.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
I think it´s a classic
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
The strength of the illusion is in what you DON'T see and the 'test conditions' that it is presented under. I think it's great. It does require a strong, confident, commanding presence, a great assistant and lots of rehearsal to make it play as well as it does for the Kalins and Rick Thomas. I'm glad everybody isn't doing it. The Wakeling book is excellent, as is everything Mr. Steinmeyer puts out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling Sawing (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL