The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blizzard vs. Fade Out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Exactly.

This is turning out to be a good thread. Interesting that a few tricks that seem so similar at first are actually so different in plot and execution. I suppose you could even include Bwave (and many, many more) in the "blank cards" category. I do the Mental Photo (nudist) deck all the time (not in the same set as blizzard) and it ALWAYS plays well.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2006-03-06 16:37, Daegs wrote:
Mmize you just don't get the effect, neither do 99% of the posters here it seems.

Blizzard is *not* the effect of cards going blank.

The effect is that before you started, you had a deck with 51 blank cards and a single regular card, and they named the only card in the deck.

Perhaps its just because whoever you saw demo the effect was terrible, but you are not understanding what the effect is...

They are suppose to think the other 3 cards and the rest of the deck was blank to start, that is the whole point.

It would be like saying "Well in that ACR routine, it kept appearing on top... that gives it away because we know its on top" or something... it misses the whole point.

Exactly. It took me a while to get this when it first came out. For this reason, Blizzard is not a good "closer" in an all-card routine.

Robert
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I like Blizzard. If you work with a topit.. The move is much easier.

Shawn.
Shawn.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Easier? Gee, the real way, just putting your hand in your pocket is awfully easy.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
It's kinda like vanilla and chocolate.....they are both different, both are very good!
steve_sargent
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of steve_sargent
I think Blizzard is truly a modern classic. I love the way it starts as a fairly run of the mill "find their selection from these 4 cards" but finishes as one of the most impossible card tricks imaginable. I use "The Hit Man" move to reveal their selection as I think it gives the spectator a more defined moment as to when the magic happens.
"Easy to do and completely angle proof"
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
When revealing the selection, how do you go about the ordering? I prefer marking the blank cards for differentiation. Other than the Chazpro deck switch, is there a way to silence the gimmick?
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
I watched the video of Blizzard, and it looks like a really great trick. I am only concerned because many replies have said that it includes a risky move. I am wondering if this trick is practical in the real world.

Ryan
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, it is very practical. "risky" is not a fair statement.
everything you do is motivated so I don't think it's risky at all.

and you end clean. wow.

I just like working with a plain old deck when I perform but...
Blizzard I will be doing.

Lastly, if the effects are similar I will tell you that the spectators
WILL want to fondle the cards at the end. If you're left with
a phony deck on the table, watch out.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
I like blizzard better as well

You start clean and everything can be examined at the end of routine, you'll learn misdirection as well with this one, so it's good

once you get the props, you can perform another effect as well with this.
I perform John G's Gemini Prediction with the help of blizzard effect so it's become stronger.

Just get the blizzard
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Here's one other tidbit about Blizzard.
I tried it for my mother inlaw who is the most grabby spectator one could imagine.

She lifed up the box a bit while it was sitting on the table right after I told her
to name a card. She saw some cards.

I told her... "wait, wait..." and directed her back to the 4 cards I was giving to her.

The trick proceeded and she had NO IDEA how it was done.

Due to human conditioning it flew right by her.

Just get the blizzard and don't be afraid.
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
That was a close one, maybe you shouldnt do magic for her if she's soooo graby!ha ha ha, well I like the effect.
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Funny you would mention that Frank. I had a lady move the card case across the table and the cards actually ribbon spread under the case. I thought that I was a dead man but continued anyway because her husband was no the wiser. I thought that if it fooled him and she kept quiet I at least had a chance. I just squared the cards and left the case next to the deck, dumped the original one in my pocket and proceeded.

The trick ended and they were both blown away. I couldn't imagine that it worked. Once the dust settled I asked her if anything about the trick seemed funny to her. I wanted to know if she sensed anything odd. She looked at me and said no. They amazing part is that she was normally very hard to fool. If she saw anything she would always speak up. Not this time. This happened only one other time with a gentleman. He only moved the case out of the way.

I learned one important thing during those two episodes. NEVER LEAVE THE CASE CENTER TABLE. SOMETIMES PEOPLE LIKE TO CLEAR THE AREA IF IT LOOKS UNCOMFORTABLE TO THEM. I now leave it off to the side and out of reach if possible.

Dean

PS Also I use the second method in my instructions. Look at the section called
Thoughts on the D/S (Paragraph four)

Oh and by the way, I think Fade Out is a great trick. Buy it?
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
I know that the Blizzard deck is examinable, but do you also end clean with Fade Out?

Ryan
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Ryan,
No...
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
I just thik fade out is ammazing, because of the disspaearance of the specs card, in front of their eyes, therefore, fadeout wins in my books
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Rambam,
the cards are not examinable in fadeout. that is not a minor detail.
spectators naturally want to pick up unusual cards at the end of an effect.
what is your plan for handling this?
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
Well, after I show them the backs of some of the cards they believe it. then I just pick the cards up and put them in the box, and since I close with it, the trick is over, the audence never wants to touch the cardsor tries too. But if your audience does then I guess blizzard is better, however, I can't forget that when blizzard was being shown to me, they tried very hard to misdirect me, and that is what I didn't like about blizzard. oyu need the misdirection. Instead, I'm going to get the alpha deck by sanders. Where the cards are examinable at the end of the trick and its a much better effect than either of these!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I would not worry about the misdirectio in blizzard. it is built in and whoever it was that showed it to you must have been oozing guilt and was probably a beginner.

Misdirection when done naturally is never noticed.
Blizzard provides exactly what's needed.
When I leave the cards out for examination, I don't even mention them.
I just let them sit there for a moment. ALL hands go to the cards.
That is very strong.

I'd say, give it another shot and see if letting them sit there to be fondled doesn't kick it up a notch. If you perform professionally it would just be sitting there as you shake hands and say your good-byes. you could give the deck away or if strolling you could sign one of the blanks and give it away too.

If you have both, experiment and let me know how it goes.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Blizzard is one of those effects that you would honestly never expect to work. The owner of the shop I work at actually read the instructions and called Dean to get clarification. He still tells the story to everyone that buys it. Apparently, the conversation went something along the lines of "You do what now? Really, and that works. No, it can't be that simple. They'd see it. Alright, if you say so." From then on, it's worked everytime. He's actually fooled someone while teaching them. The human brain just doesn't seem to register what actually happened.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blizzard vs. Fade Out (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL