We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Organ Donors Speak Up, (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Who here amongst my fellow Café Members has signed an organ donor card? Care to comment on why you did or won't?

Best,

Tim
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Tim,

I requested that I become an organ donor, since I was 17. Why? I suppose one can view it as an altruistic act. I'd like to think that I could help someone.

There is an interesting booklet that many ESL (English As a Second Langage) teachers use to promote conversations and debates amongst students called: Who Gets The Heart? It list 7 patients whom are in need of the heart and the student(s) must decide if they were on the hospital commitee who would get it. The patients range from a 12 year old boy to a 62 year old famous scientist. Each time I have participated in this particular debate I've always been amazed at the conversations that have resulted. Just last month I was curious as to what the average wait was for those waiting and what the criteria was in real cases, and ironically was reading about it on the net.

It's incredibly sad that many die while still on the list. It only reinforces my commitment to become an organ donor.

http://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/fsitem.cfm?id=30

Interesting topic and I'm now curious as to why you asked this particular question?

Chrystal
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Chrystal,

I've always been a strong supporter of the organ donation program but just recently I've learned that a fellow magician has CF and will require a lung transplant. I don't know him personally but certainly wish him well and hope he gets his new lungs soon and recovers quickly. I don't want to make his name public here as I'm not sure if he wants it made public. I suspect he might and if that's the case he can post himself.

The whole "organ donation" issue gets me fired up as so many valuable, life saving organs are literally left to rot and are no use to anyone. What a waste! I have yet to hear a reason ( other than religious reasons ) that someone can justify NOT donating an organ.

Usually I just hear.... "I don't believe in that. When I die I don't want anyone having my organs. Nature dictates when we die so we just have to accept it. " I counter this arguement with " If your son or daughter needed a transplant to live and one was available would you still say..." Let them die and accept it" or would you let the transplant go ahead?

Sadly I think the biggest reason organs are not donated is that concent is not given by next of kin. ( the deceased may have been willing to donate ) I think there has been talk of trying to create a new law that makes it legal to harvest organs unless the person has specified otherwise. That'd be nice.

Best,

Tim
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hi, Tim:

Despite residual anxiety brought on by the liver scene from "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life," I, too, am an organ donor. Can't agree with your thoughts on involuntary organ harvesting (don't get me started ranting on "Soylent Green"), but the 'recycling' rationale you cite is my perspective as well. That those things I cherish -- reading a good book or viewing a beautiful sunset, a deep breath of ocean-scented air, the pleasant warmth of love steadily beating within my chest -- might be enjoyed by others when I no longer have the need of them is a thought that I find most fulfilling.

As for the rest, I see it not as merely rotting away but as a lifelong gardener, I think of it as composting. Better yet, as St Paul said, a seed awaiting its eventual reflowering Smile
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Count me in for organ donation. It never made sense to me to do otherwise.

In the same vein as it were, I got back into the regular habit of blood donation recently. I started at age 16 and got my first gallon pin from the Red Cross early. Then I took a long hiatus. Only intentional scheduling to get myself back to the drives got it going. I'm headed toward gallon 2 with a lifetime goal of hitting 20 gallons before I am 65.

Living where I do, I can attest to this reality: the Amish community REALLY comes out for blood drives. I mean, they drag in the teenagers and start them early. It works. My father used to take my sister and me to blood drives when he worked 2nd shift. We'd watch him go through the process. He'd teach us that if we are healthy and able to give, we need to do so as a DUTY, since you can't make blood in a factory.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I've always been an organ donor. I was unaware of this choice until the day I received my drivers license! Gosh how many years ago was that.

I didn't have to give it much thought at all and check 'YES'. It's remained that way since. If my remains can be of benefit to anyone, I'm all for it. Take what you need and can use.

I've also been on a volunteer bone marrow donor list since 1985. While donating blood at a emergency blood drive I was asked if I'd be willing to go on such a list. I said yes. Five years past when I received a phone call one day. It was a bone marrow center representative calling from Houston who explained they had a 19 year old patient who was in desperate need of the a transplant and I was found to be a very strong and possible match. Well all of this information in one minute and I was quite surprised as I had long forgotten about volunteering for the national marrow bank! I was instructed to prepare a travel bag incase the upcoming third and final test was a match and would be flown to Houston within 24 Hrs. to, as she put it, 'save a life'. She asked if I understood and well what do you say but yes.

The call came through later informing me that it was not a match and my attention and time was appreciated. She said they were moving onto another possible match. I hope that person did well.

The donor waiting lists are very long and if I were on one I'd probably spend my days wishing more would offer the same instead of taking it to their graves with them.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I don't have much to say that others haven't already. Very nice discussion. I too did not know of the choice untill getting my license. (Which hasnt been much more than 3 years) I checked yes immedietally. I honestly cant begin to imagine why one would take valuable organs to them to the grave.

James
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
What I am about to post is not a joke. I wouldn't joke about something like this.

There is a small percentage of the population, very small mind you, but enough that I've run into more than a few, who have adopted a very scary conspiracy theory on organ donation. They believe that if your ID has "organ donor" on it, ER's will take that into consideration should you be badly injured. The belief is that you may not receive full care, in a rush to get your organs.

I have no idea how to prove a negative, but I feel that it's worth engaging people on conversation as to why they really feel this is possible.

Randy, bless you for the bone marrow. I wish I was as courageous, it's a very painful process. I'm forcing myself on the blood thing as it is. Organ donation would be under circumstances I would never feel. But bone marrow, that's a heck of a personal commitment. One we should all make. Thank you for leading by example.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

In response to your post RevLoveJoy, all the web sites I've checked assure that's not the case as they've probably come across that fear countless time from people.

For those living in Canada. It used to be on our drivers licence but that was changed a couple years ago. You now have to fill out a seperate form, have it witnessed and sent to an Organ donation Center. I'm not sure why they did this but perhaps in the event family members were unaware of the request? Or perhaps so it it now national instead of by province as per drivers licence? Not sure, as I thought having it on the drivers license was a good idea. I've included the url in case someone was interested in downloading the donor card in Canada.

http://www.giftoflife.on.ca/page.cfm?id=......79A17EF1

Chrystal
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
It's all gonna turn into dust, so why not give it away to someone who really needs it.

and by doing so, you are "Extending" your life on earth in a way...(philosophical thing)...
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm a blood and organ donor and support these actively. Yet, I respect and defend the right of those who reject the option for whatever reason they may choose. It's a personal choice and should remain such.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Brian M.
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Brian M.
I had the pleasure of speaking with Tim after his show last night and he mentioned this thread that he started back March. I missed it back then because I don't usually read this particular part of the forum.

Seeing his show last night was in my opinion truly magical for a few reasons. You see, I was the magician who he spoke of back in March who was in need of a double lung transplant. I recieved my gift of a new life on July 6th and was back on stage two and a half months later on September 20th. I've now done six shows post-transpant and feel fantastic.

Even more special is that fact that I can now run and play with my two-year old daughter as well as lift her up to hug and hold her. That's what I call real magic (considering for the first six months of the year I was fighting for my life). If I hadn't received the transplant when I did, I honestly don't know if I'd still be around to be typing this.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions about organ donation only about 1% of deaths that occur in hospital are suitable for organ donation. Basically, the donor has to be brain dead (usually from a car accident or shooting) with no chance of recovery and on a respirator. One person posted that some people "believe that if your ID has "organ donor" on it, ER's will take that into consideration should you be badly injured. The belief is that you may not receive full care, in a rush to get your organs." That is completely inaccurate and one the biggest misconceptions. As I mentioned, the donor has to be brain dead with their donatable organs still functioning properly. The tragedy usually occurs outside the hospital and the person typically arrives in the ER already as a potential donor. People who are in hospital and slowly detiorate from one condition or another usually aren't candidates for organ donation.

One of the nurses who cared for me wore a shirt that read something to the effect of "Donate your organs. Heaven knows you can't take them with you!".

Thanks to Tim for bringing awareness to this forum.

Lastly, on the evening of July 6th, somewhere a family lost a loved one and in their darkest hour made the decision to give me and others a chance at a brand new life. I can't think of a more loving, courageous gift to give at such a time. I only wish that they could be comforted by the fact that their gift is a miracle in progress. Words cannot express the feelings I have towards them. Please make sure you have signed your donor card (go to http://www.giftoflife.on.ca to download one) AND make sure that all of your loved ones know of your wishes. You should take comfort in knowing that if you ever find yourself in a tragic situation that you can literally cause miracles to happen for those in desperate need of organs.

Brian Michaels
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Count me in. I've been an organ donor since 18 years of age. I figure, if anyone can use what's left of my body parts when I'm done with them, more power to them. Besides, I wouldn't be needing them anyway. Why be selfish?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I can't say I actually remember when I decided to become an organ donor. I do know that I didn't like it when renewing my driver's license, I was asked if I wanted to become an organ donor. I didn't think that was something that needed to be an "oh, by the way...." type of decision. I did get information on everything, so the next time I renewed, I could make an informed decision...I've had it marked on my driver's license ever since. I used to be a blood donor, but I'm on too much medication for my heart, now, and I don't think it would be a good idea (my former mother-in-law and my father worked for the Red Cross). I had a bad reaction the last time I donated, and on their recommendation, I no longer donate blood. I'm not sure if all this medication will affect the organs if donation time ever comes, but that decision will be left to others. At least I will have made the attempt!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2454 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I used to, and still do, but I don't believe they can use what I got (and I feel bad about that) ... unfortunately, I'm diabetic (and the list goes on from there) and full of medicines, so the blood donor program doesn't want me anymore, and I expect I'll wind up going to the grave with all my parts. Wish I could do better. Want my glasses?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I have been an organ donor for all of my adult life.
I feel that if I don't do anyone any good while I'm here, then maybe I can do some good when I leave this World (sort of paying my due's). It's really just that simple.
-Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Since 1978... you can do the math yourself
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I've been an organ/body donor for more years than I care to remember. I figure that I won't need them then, anyway. Smile I also donate platelets every two weeks. It takes longer than giving whole blood, but it is easier on your body. And, you get to watch a movie while doing it.

Although I've known several folks who have benefitted from organ donation, Brian can speak to this much more eloquently than I can. The shirt probably read "Please don't send your organs to Heaven; Heaven knows we need them here!" I think as many as six folks can benefit from a blood donation, and as many as eight can benefit from a single eye donation.

Here's a story that would be humorous if the person's ignorance didn't nake it so sad. My dad was a long-time member of the Lion's International service organization, whose primary project is sight preservation and restoration. He was talking with a long-time friend about signing up to be an eye donor. The friend told my dad "I'll donate one, but I want to make sure I keep one in case I need it after I die."

It's free, it's easy, and it saves lives.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Please don't bury me, down in that cold cold ground.
No, I'd druther have em' cut me up and pass me all around.
Throw my brain in a hurricane and the blind can have my eyes.
and the deaf can take both of my ears if they don't mind the size.

Give my stomach to Milwaukee if they run out of beer
Put my socks in a cedar box just get em' out of here
Venus de Milo can have my arms. Look out! I've got your nose.
Sell my heart to the junkman and give my love to Rose

But, please don't bury me, down in that cold cold ground.

Give my feet to the footloose careless, fancy free.
Give my knees to the needy don't pull that stuff on me.
Hand me down my walking cane it's a sin to tell a lie.
Send my mouth way down south and kiss my ass goodbye.

Please don't bury me, down in that cold cold ground.

- John Prine
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
I'll be the bad guy. I saw an episode of ER where a patieint was a doctors friend. An injured person arrived and the doctor could not wait for the person to die so he could help out his friend. That left a very uncomfortable feeling with me. It is the hope that the person would just die that is scary. Maybe I am over reacting, but it seems some people are worth more dead than they are alive.

I do donate blood though.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Organ Donors Speak Up, (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL