The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Organ Donors Speak Up, (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-11-14 22:17, elmago wrote:
I'll be the bad guy. I saw an episode of ER where a patieint was a doctors friend. An injured person arrived and the doctor could not wait for the person to die so he could help out his friend. That left a very uncomfortable feeling with me. It is the hope that the person would just die that is scary. Maybe I am over reacting, but it seems some people are worth more dead than they are alive.

I do donate blood though.

Yes.. you are over reacting. It was a fictional script not reality. It's similar myths that cause people to fear signing a donor card. Here are some common myths... http://www.organdonor.gov/myth.html

Best,

Tim
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Stop watching television...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Or at least stop watching "ER." Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I am not going to donate my organs to science - I am going to have my heirs auction them off on eBay instead - just kidding - I strongly believe in being an organ donor - it is a crime against humanity to do otherwise, IMO
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 13:00, Marvello wrote:
it is a crime against humanity to do otherwise, IMO

I don't know about a "crime against humanity". LOL!

It's intresting that you use that term though. I think the crime against humanity will come when we no longer have a choice what we can do with our own guts. And that day is coming. I imagine it will eventually become accepted that we harvest everyones organs, regardless of their personal beliefs, because it's the "humane" thing to do. Mark it down.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Agreed Andy .....but it would indeed be a crime to see a person lose their life as a perfectly good organ is held from them and buried to rot in the ground.

Its so easy to fluff off but if we imagine someone we love ( brother,sister,father , wife?? ) actually dying because someone else didn't bother to sign a card through ignorance or false information then that would indeed be a crime against a fellow human. Imagine the pain of " there is a perfectly good organ right there that would save your life ...BUT... you CAN'T have it... we are going to simply TRASH it instead."

Brians family was spared this agony as someones thoughtful gift easily saved his life. We have the technology to do such miracles these days but sadly not the public support/understanding to make it happen more often.

Best,

Tim
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of organ donation. But I respect everyones decision when it comes to this issue. Honestly, I truly believe that it won't be an issue in the not to distant future. Just as Daddy Government reaches into your wallet and gives your money to someone else..and calls it charity. So will they reach into your body and take your organs.

I think people should strongly consider donating their organs. And I applaud those that do. But I kinda like Freedom too. That's all.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 14:45, Timothy Drake wrote:
Agreed Andy .....but it would indeed be a crime to see a person lose their life as a perfectly good organ is held from them and buried to rot in the ground....

Yeah but think of all those terminally ill people who could go back to productive lives if only they could get the organs NOW. What if OTHERS decided if your donation time had come? Got it?

We have not gotten the basic trustworthiness managed. It's still a very dirty process all the way around. And STILL we are not allowed to sell organs. To many issues for me to suggest any side is "right".

BTW, I checked the box on my driver's license. But I nope folks know that if they get an organ from me, they may also get some of my personality. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Jon knows what I mean. I don't want to derail this train and make it a discussion about ethics. I did want to respond to Marvellos comment (which I'm sure was sort of a throw-away comment) because it's that sort of rhetoric that will lead to the situation I described above.

Back on topic; Smile Smile Smile Smile to those that choose to be "cut up" and "passed around".
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Are you through with that liver?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 17:15, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

Yes I am. Here, take these fava beans and this nice chianti as well.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 17:22, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:

Yes I am. Here, take these fava beans and this nice chianti as well.

For those that don't get Vandy's wonderful warped humor ( and those that do ) ... enjoy this... http://www.pitt.edu/~schach/dgresh/lambs/liver.wav
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 14:31, Vandy Grift wrote:

I don't know about a "crime against humanity". LOL!

It's intresting that you use that term though. I think the crime against humanity will come when we no longer have a choice what we can do with our own guts. And that day is coming. I imagine it will eventually become accepted that we harvest everyones organs, regardless of their personal beliefs, because it's the "humane" thing to do. Mark it down.

Woah - forced harvesting is a long leap from what I said!

Quote:
On 2006-11-15 14:45, Timothy Drake wrote:
it would indeed be a crime to see a person lose their life as a perfectly good organ is held from them and buried to rot in the ground.

exactly my point, and of course I am against anyone taking any organ without consent
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Marv,

In my follow up post to the one quoted above, I explained why I picked up on that phrase. "Crime against humanity". I assumed it was just an off-hand remark. But I'm telling you, It's that kind of retohric that will lead to the harvest of everyones organs, regardless of their belief. That's how this stuff happens. When the media and members of the House and Senate stand up and scream and shout that anyone who dosen't donate their organs is committing a "crime against humanity" We will then see a call for forced harvesting of organs.

I'm just telling you how it's going to go down. That's how we make policy these days. We demonize, then legislate. Or we create a hysteria and then Daddy makes a new law and we can all breathe a sigh of relief. So, my ears perk up when I hear things like "anyone who doesn't donate their organs is committing a crime against humanity".
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Vandy,

I certainly agree that more " crazy" things HAVE become law in our past so I don't think your idea is too far out there.

I certainly don't agree with forced harvesting. I did have a thought however. Many people are against the idea of donation but certainly would accept an organ if needed. What if your willingness to share organs ( once you no longer need them of course ) gave you an advantage over those who are not willing to become a donor. The advantage I am speaking of is that if you are a signed up donor... YOU get priority if you need an organ over someone who refuses to become a donor. I am speaking of this applying to adults of legal age.

Doesn't that seem fair? Any thoughts on this idea????

Best,

Tim
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 14:57, Vandy Grift wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of organ donation. But I respect everyones decision when it comes to this issue. Honestly, I truly believe that it won't be an issue in the not to distant future. Just as Daddy Government reaches into your wallet and gives your money to someone else..and calls it charity. So will they reach into your body and take your organs.

I think people should strongly consider donating their organs. And I applaud those that do. But I kinda like Freedom too. That's all.

Have you read Larry Niven? He had a thread going in his stories that organ donation became so important, the government made <everything> a capital offense with the punishment being having your organs harvested!

Quote:

HAWKEYE (After Frank touches the liver he's eating) ~ Look at that! You've ruined it! AND WE'RE ALL OUT OF NORTH KOREANS!!!!!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...but they need your organs now.

So many die waiting for transplants while you just sit there watching TV, drinking beer and shuffling cards waiting to do something significant with your life.

Well perhaps the time has come. Put down the deck and pick up that phone.

Your family will receive a special honor plaque to commemorate your Gift to Humanity.

Call in the next ten minutes and we will throw in a free upgrade of limo service to your donation site and upgrade your plaque to include deluxe walnut finish and a gilt frame.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Organ Donors Speak Up, (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL