The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Prepping for the tour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Not too sure if this is the correct section....just a glimpse into the work behind the scenes.
Enjoy !
http://photobucket.com/albums/e222/StevenKline/
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Matt Kap
View Profile
New user
Seattle, Washington
67 Posts

Profile of Matt Kap
Wow! Thanks for a sneak peek behind your show. It is cool to see all the components that go into a full stage production (and I'm sure there is a lot more). You look like you are well organized and your props are clean and professional. I like the custom logo on the cases.
-MATT KAP
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." -Albert Einstein
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Hey Steve .. thanks for sharing what goes on behind the curtain. I don't think a lot of people realize how much work and equipment is involved with an illusion show. It's back-breaking work .. even before you suit up and go on stage. Then after the show is over .. and eveything is packed, it's time for some Steak "n" Shake at 2:00am ... if you're lucky. See you and the twins soon ..

Steve
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Thanks guys !
So much goes on before the show even leaves the warehouse - I am very fortunate to have a place where we can have the actual stage size set and run the show in real time.
Our case load for the Mystique is approx 48 cases plus luggage and a crew of 7 - three wardrobe cases of costumes alone ! Talk about a boat load of fabric and sewing time.
I will be adding to the photo album on a regular basis. Although I make it a point to not really talk about the magic in the show, if you have any questions about the overall production (lighting, audio, logistics, etc) please don't hesitate to ask.

Hope you enjoy.
Steven Kline
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
Wow, very nice... awesome rig there, dude!!!! Thanks for sharing. All the best to you and the crew. May the road be fruitful.

And I ain't talking road apples
HA
Stay loose, baby.
Eat prunes !!!
John
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1167 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
You want to talk about some true magic....I saw this place when it was essentially an empty warehouse with no walls in the shop, etc. in January when Kline first moved in. The amazing transformation into a studio, workshop, office, etc. in about 30 days is amazing.

Knowing and working with Kline for over a decade, it really isn't that hard to be surprised by how quickly a project comes together. He sort of reminds me of Hannibal Smith from the A-Team, right down to the good cigars he is able to acquire.

But seriously, having a studio space like this with the light rigs, sound proof rooms, etc. is what separates the pros from the wanna-bes.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Where did you get those costume wardrobe cases? I have an antique steamer trunk that I use but would like to get something better down the road that would have wheels and the proper handles!

Robert
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
I designed the case - mostly out of necessity. I do have a few case companies that build this type of case the right way - they are not light and they are not cheap- but they hold up! Not just anyone can build a wardrobe case!

Posted: Mar 7, 2006 6:46pm
-----------------------------------------
Michael,
Thanks for the kind words! As anyone would know, if you have a desire and motivation, anything is possible.
A friend that helped me pull electric for the production room said it best - its all fine and dandy to have this facility, what you do with it is a completely different beast ....
Time will tell....stay tuned!
Steven Kline
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Your lighting is nice, but mine is even better Smile <<<just a joke:) Good luck with the show Smile
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Steven,

Great photos. I think you should write a book on your experiences trouping with that stuff, sort of like Ken Griffin's Illusion Show Know How book. Ken's book was great, but it really needs to be updated. You could do it.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Jim,
I have never read Ken's book. (anyone got a copy?) - Everything I do is really self-taught or learned through experience. I have been playing with the idea of a lecture type informational packet....we'll see.
Steven Kline
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Glad to see things are going off without a hitch! Hope you have a great tour...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
I have a copy of Kens book. It now has your name on it. I think Jim is onto something here, a great idea. The book is outdated and judging by the set-up you have you would be a prime candidate to re-vamp it.
Good Luck
John
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
At the risk of sounding callous, I thought the Ken Griffin book was not only outdated, but positively antiquated when I first read it about 20 years ago! Not only has technology advanced by leaps and bounds, but the market in general for illusion shows is vastly different.

Cultural relevence is quite different as well. My favorite caption from the Griffin book is under a photo of a piece of scenery being moved. You can only see the legs and skirt of a lovely lady carrying it and the caption reads, "even a girl can carry a flat".

A well-rounded theatre background (which admittedly I had before I read the Griffin book) served me far, far better than Illusion Show Know-How.

I think a book on the practicalities of real-life touring in the 21st century would be very relevent.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I agree with the fact that Illusion Show Know How is outdated...when I got it a couple years ago I was actually disappointed as to just how outdated it was. I picked up a handy tip from it though: getting through a traveler w/out having to claw your way through the curtain....

Stan Kramien's books aren't outdated, I don't think. That would be a place to look.
closeupmagician
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of closeupmagician
Awesome photos. How many square feet is the warehouse? That looks fantastic.
Mark
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Looks cool man.

I don't get it. The chair's gone but that girl's still floating. Effin' unbelievable.

Let's hang soon.

mk
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
More information about the tour:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......75&5

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Beautiful photos. Thanks so much for letting us have a glimpse behind your show.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
MK !
What's up brotha?! Whens THE date? I would love to catch up - I just got back from 4 LOOOONG days in MI performing and am heading back to the cave to tweak and finalize some bits in the show...I am heading to Toledo at the end of the week for their little convention and then it's time to hit the road. Call me !

Mark - my studio is approx 24 x 40, my main room for storage is 30 x 50 and my shop is also 30 x 40 (although the actual shop per se only takes up 1/2 of that space.)

I will be adding more pics inthe next day or so...
Steven Kline
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Prepping for the tour (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL