The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » WWE » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Sullivan
View Profile
New user
Australia
86 Posts

Profile of Michael Sullivan
Long Live the BUSHWACKERS!!!!! ARRRRRRRRGGGG
Elly May Drudge
View Profile
Tim Ellis' snoopy neighbor
Melbourne, Australia
40 Posts

Profile of Elly May Drudge
Aaaahh, Michael...

My little pumpkin.

I was wondering how long it might be before you made your way to to the WWE yarn, string, thread (whatever they call it) where I KNEW I'd find you, eventually.

I heard through my ultra sonic detectors that your computer's been down...
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
LOL Michael!!

Back to what Brad & Mitch were talking about, Craig is right, sometime the build up can be counterproductive. I'm thinking of the "mega-illusions" featured on magic specials. That sort of hype is quite different to the kind the WWE can generate on a good day.

For example, I just watched Fit Finlay & Bobby Lashley brawl uncontrollably again in Smackdown and, though the wrestling is virtually non-existent in their "tear apart" encounters, as a fan I really want to see these guys get the chance to "settle the score". There's LOTS of emotional hooks in that battle. Whereas Gregory Helms vs Chris Benoit... why are they fighting... no idea. Finlay & Lashley have a score to settle.

This sort of energy can be translated into magic.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I'm waiting for a magician rassler who revives the original shiek's flash paper flame to the face to immobilize his opponents....... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I am surprised how much I took away from this thread. I read it with suspicion, since I loathe "pro" wrestling. Just not my think. Not making judgments on those of you who do like it, but I just cannot get into it. I tried years ago.

That being said, the parallels in the theatrical devices you all are discussing is worthy food for thought with or without a love of the particular entertainment.

I can however, smell what the rock is cooking. It's curry chicken.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
It's interesting you should mention that Joseph. I've been told that Vince McMahon really likes magic and the idea of a magician wrestler (or maybe even a magician manager) would be a big possibility in the WWE if someone pitched it to him.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Rev it's true, inspiration can be found in the most unlikely of places!

To paraphrase Siegfried's Roy: "Look for the magic that is around you in nature, flowers, and all the wrestlers that share this planet with us."
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I was a fan of the AWA when they had "real" wrestlers back in the late 70's. Vern Gagne and his son Greg. Greg Gagne and his partner Jim Brunzell were the "High Flyers" and were considered "technical" wrestlers rather than the show biz kinds you find on television today. The AWA wasn't nearly as flamboyant (well, except for Lord Alfred Hayes) which is probably why they never transitioned to TV. I watched people like Nick Bockwinkle, the Iron Sheik and Oly Anderson (father of Arn Anderson?) I even got to see Andre the Giant wrestle when he was still around. And who can forget (you haven't forgotten, have you?) Ivan Putski and his nemesis Baron Von Raschke.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I think we all need a good nemesis in magic.

Who can forget URI GELLER vs JAMES RANDI for the Inter-Lectual Championship of the World!
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
OK then, David Blaine vs Criss Angel in a steel cage match.

David comes down the concourse, making girls cry with rising card decks.

Criss Angel is dropped into the ring suspended my meat hooks. MINDFREAK blasts through the speakers. Korn is live in the stadium.

Blaine's manager Leo DiCaprio is in a 3 piece suit, yelling at Angel's t-shirted brother who just can't BELIEVE he's doing another dangerous stunt.

The cage is lowered. Blaine levitates 6 inches or so to get to the bottom rope. Angel flies straight up and clings to the top of the cage like Spiderman.

David steps into a block of ice and disappears while Criss blows himself up.

David bites the heads of quarters, half dollars, and then live bats. Ozzy Osbourne shows up out of nowhere and throws a chair at Blaine for stealing his act.

Banacheck and Todd Robbins step in and declare the fight a win for Angel, who, at the last second, plunges his hand into a spectator's drink cup and pulls out the keys to the Dodge Viper that he was supposed to find on Blaine.

Everyone exits the stadium, complaining that they "have" the same "tricks" and could be famous too with a TV contract. Older magicians complain about lack of style. Who spells "corn" with a "K" anyway?

Blaine is left in the ice for 48 more hours. The janitorial staff finds him later.

Match goes to Angel. He gives the car to his mom, and flexes his rock hard abs one last time surrounded by 10 women with the same rock hard abs.

And in the lobby, Tim Ellis is freaking out the whole lot of em eating razorblades.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Now THAT'S magic!!!!
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
I Love It
Magic, Illusion and Data Management
www.stardockmagi.blogspot.com

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
I also picture us attacking that world 'cause they just wouldn't expect it
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Interesting thread.

I grew up watching N.W.A. matches on t.v. I remember I used to scream and yell at the t.v. if one of My favorite wrestlers (Pat Patterson, Rocky Johnson, Peter Mavia) were not winning in the match and the ref was being stupid by not seeing what was going on. Went to several matches in Las Vegas at the Las Vegas Conventon center.

I still watch wrestling now from time to time. But miss the old days of N.W.A. A.W.A. Too much nonsence going on most of the time in the W.W.E I feel.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Good wrestling is not neccessarily about the physical and technical ability of the wrestlers themselves (though that does help), it's about their ability to tell an engaging story.

That's what we, as magicians, need to learn.

Get the audience involved, get them interested, get them excited!
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Tim, and for others intrested, I made a post in the not very magic section of the forum about having a podcast of one of my matches available directly from me. Sorry, shameless plug to the wrestling fans here..lol
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I'll have to head over and check it out!

Have you ever throw in any magical content in any of your matches?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
No, I havent. I thought about it while I was manager right after my injury. I was going to use an appearing can and whack people with it. But I didn't have the funds to have to replace the cane every show..lol.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » WWE » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL