The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » The Magic Castle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1233 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I mentioned using a clear force bag in the Brainstorm thread, and it's reminded me of a very funny story that happened last year at The Magic Castle.

Sue-Anne was performing her Jeannie act in the Palace and I was 'Magician A' in the Close Up room. Tom Ogden was 'Magician B'

I'll pause to let you know that Tom and I have known each other since he came to Australia in the early 1980's when he came over as the special guest for Barry Govan's Ballarat Magic Convention. Since then I've brought Tom over as special guest for Magic Week (1987 I think) and the Australian National Convention in 1996. I've also worked on the same bill with him in The Palace at The Magic Castle before and he's always hysterical! (Ask about the fog!) However, this was my first encounter with his wicked sense of humour in the Close Up Room.

So, I did early close up, he did late close up. I was using a clear force bag filled with amusing laws for a new routine in my show and I'd done my three shows for the night so I was finished, it was Tom's turn. He came out to do his first show for the night and, as is his way, he sat at the close-up table and greeted the audience as they walked into the room. He then, looking for something to play with, pulled my clear force bag out from back stage. First he asked the audience if anyone had seen 'Magician A' perform. No they hadn't, they'd just arrived.

You could see Tom thinking "perfect!". He then explained to them that I had a bag full of unusual and funny laws and he was going to read some out to the audience before he began his show. He reached his hand into the bag and said with a grin on his face "That's funny.. I can see them in there, but I can't touch them..."

I was backstage at that time and I thought, right, time for revenge... I had a needle and thread with me for my razorblade trick, so I snuck up behind Tom and sewed the curtains shut.

When the room host came in she said "Tom, time to introduce you" and Tom got up out of his seat to go backstage ready to make his entrance and start the show. 

He couldn't find the gap in the curtains and, as he fiddled around for a bit, it suddenly dawned on him he'd been got. He said "I was always told one day these things would heal up." Then he explained to the audience the curtains were now sewn shut. He was laughing, I was laughing, the room host was laughing, but the audience (the weirdest audiences I've ever seen in the Castle) sat stoney-faced and started one by one offering helpful practical suggestions to Tom like "Maybe you could get some scissors and cut the thread?" Others started analysing the situation in little workshop groups trying to figure out a solution to the problem.

In the end Tom got down on his hands and knees and crawled under the curtain where I was waiting with a pair of scissors so he could start the show with a more dignified entrance.

It was hilarious!  
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Tim,

Egads! That was a hysterical story and I was chuckling while reading it. I'm sure you're smiling at the memory. Thanks for sharing it!

Chrystal
MagicMan
View Profile
New user
United States
21 Posts

Profile of MagicMan
I visited the Magic Castle for the first time two weeks ago and was completely blown away at just how incredible the Castle really is. It's refreshing and reinvigorating to see just how special magic still is for people, as evidenced by the excited people that frequent the Castle every night!
Magically yours,
Harrison Greenbaum (http://www.harrisonmagic.com)

"The art of astonishment, when pushed into the wildest edge of edges, is the art of doing real magic...Tricks are tools. Astonishment is real." - Paul Harris
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1233 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I love it, it's a very special place. Why can't we have one in Melbourne too?
tellingatalltail
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tellingatalltail
Hope to see you at The Magic Castle again soon! When will you be ther? Just so you know and everyone else knows...the food os better and appparently they are paying the performers more! Smile
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1233 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I heard both of those rumours, but really, if the money was the reason people worked there they'd have no acts! It's just the thrill of working in such a great venue. (Though, when you spend $2500 on an airfare - each - and have to pay for transfers, a hotel, breakfast and lunch each day... I guess any extra cash at all is very welcome Smile )

I've always enjoyed the food there.

Actually, last time we were there we got in a night early and ate at Yamashiro. That was good food!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » The Magic Castle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL