The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » FISM 2009... and Fantasy FISM » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1233 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Two questions for you all -

1 - FISM 2009 is going to be in either:

Beijing, China
Vienna, Austria
Granada, Spain

Which country would you prefer and why?

2 - If you could choose any country to hold a future FISM in, where would you want it to be?
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Kelly
1. Definately Vienna! It's a wonderful city from what I've been told and it's on my "must visit" list.

2. I'd love FISM to be held in Ireland because a) I wouldn't have to travel for it!!! and b) Ireland is great and everyone should visit here.
"But where did the lighter fluid come from?"
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
2. The UK please! Smile
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Ross McCourt
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Ross McCourt
I think it should be Beijing because it's such a beautiful city. Maybe London? Smile
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I think Granada, Spain just because I would like to make a long vacation of it and travel around while I am there. Spain has always been a place I would like to visit.
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The magazine reports for Vienna was not good the last time it was held there. They reported it was very hot and muggy there and do to the high humidity. Being it was already in this city, maybe a place they have not been to would be good, like New York City in the good old USA.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I would be happy with either Vienna or Granada. I have no problem with either. I would not go to Beijing. They are not known for recognizing human rights and I am just a little afraid of being and American there.

As for where a future one should be - how about somewhere in South America? They get so few things going on.
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Well - its never been to Africa / Australia / USA !

I'd love to see what the Yanks could pull together - I'm sure it wld be spectacular ( although the IBM SAM event in 2008 will pretty much be their FISM - interesting choice of venue - Louisville Kentucky )

Vienna / Granada should be fun ... although China is going to get it ( one just hopes that the government sponsorship of the event will translate into tangible benefits for the delegates such as lower registration costs )

The increased airfare and location will see international numbers drop quite considerably though as was the case in Japan.
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
On the subject of FISM - they STILL have yet to address the issue of standards at the contest with WAY TOO many poorly skilled individuals being allowed to participate. Surely its time for a selection process of sorts ? Or some other form of pre-selection which allows for uniformity ?
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Definitely VIENNA !!!

I moved abroad a while back, I've lived in 6 different countries and even though I know Paris(!?), Vienna is without a doubt the single most beautiful city in the world. Ask anyone who's been there before, you would miss out on something great!

Vienna is nothing less than perfect for a FISM congress! I think we're planning on the Hofburg (former imperial palace) or the Austria Center, both of which are terrific locations. Vienna is not expensive, it's save, stunning for tourists (with great food, beer & wine), easily accessible, multi-lingual and is furthermore located in an awesome part of Europe (so if you're from really far away, why not subsequently travel the country?).

Austria also offers one of the most thrilling lessons in magic history in that Johann Nepomuk Hofzinser, the father of modern card magic, lived in Vienna. On the occasion of his 200th birthday, Magic Christian is about to publish the third volume of his series on Hofzinser's life and magic, you can learn more about this project at http://www.hofzinser.com

Tim: I'm sure the Viennese Committee will give an impressive presentation at FISM 2006. I hope I'll see you all in Austria in 2009!

-Christof
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1233 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I'm posting this on behalf of Andreas Ulanowsky of Sweden who is unable to sign on as member and post himself:

I'd have to say that Vienna is my choice for a good reason:

My grandfather was born their and I've never been there before. Also, it is considerably cheeper to travel there than to China for me. I guess Spain would be ok.... but I'd choose Vienna any day.

I'd probably pick New York as a city to attend for the ultimate city to attend the FISM event. You cannot deny that New York is the capital of entertainment in the world. My sister also lives there, too.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Vienna is a great city. I spent a week there after 9/11 while I was waiting for flights to resume to the U.S. (I had been in Tibet and Nepal). Drank a lot of "melange" in the wonderful Cafés. Being diabetic, I had to lay off the tortes and chocolate (sorry to say) and being a recovered alcoholic I had to lay off the beer...and I *still* had a great time. Wonderful city with great public transportation.
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Well - we seem to have good support for Vienna ...

But did Vienna offer the FISM presidents free vacations like China & Spain ?

"Here's a free vacation for you & your significant other to travel half-way across the globe on our account" - but don't construe this as an attempt on our part to sway your decision whatsoever Smile
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Just curious...

Would anyone consider coming to Australia... given the distance and expense? It'd obviously be much more inconvenient than anywhere else in the world, apart from the Antarctic.

You could wangle an extended stay and see the sights?

We could give you tips on how to survive the long trip and jet lag... and, even give you a free guide on how to avoid injury and death from our highly dangerous animals.

What about it?
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Heck, I'll even throw in some time in my guest house for any travelling magi.

Brendan

Disclaimer - Afore mentioned guest house is in fact the couch in my lounge room, but the offer is still open. It's a nice couch and I live right in the middle of one of our sights.
Magic, Illusion and Data Management
www.stardockmagi.blogspot.com

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
I also picture us attacking that world 'cause they just wouldn't expect it
JohnHoudi
View Profile
New user
Sweden
18 Posts

Profile of JohnHoudi
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 15:43, mitchmagi wrote:
On the subject of FISM - they STILL have yet to address the issue of standards at the contest with WAY TOO many poorly skilled individuals being allowed to participate. Surely its time for a selection process of sorts ? Or some other form of pre-selection which allows for uniformity ?

As member of the FISM 2006 Group I would like to answer this:

If you go to FISM organisations website http://www.fism.org and then click “To Compete” (direct link: http://www.fism.org/ToCompete.htm ) you can read everything about what It takes to compete at FISM.

I quote:
“To get the endorsement of a President of FISM™ affiliate member if the competitor is member of a FISM™ affiliate Club. If he is not 3 endorsements of President of FISM™ affiliate member will be requested . Usually a signature will be requested on the forms above mentioned”

In short that means the country’s PRESIDENT of the magic fraternity who signs the contest application is responsible to see to it that the act is good and meets the FISM standard.

Read more about the rules here:
http://www.fism.org/ContestRule-English.htm

Welcome to compete at FISM 2006, but see to it that your president really thinks you are good enough.

/John Houdi
Vice President Swedish Magic Circle
FISM 2006 Group
http://www.fism.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1731 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
On the subject... there is rumor floating around that SAM and IBM plan to host FISM in the USA in 2008.... is this a mere rumor or is it true?

Bryan
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1233 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
SAM & IBM will be holding a combined convention in 2008. The next FISM will be 2009.
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
"In short that means the country’s PRESIDENT of the magic fraternity who signs the contest application is responsible to see to it that the act is good and meets the FISM standard. "

John - this has been the rule for ages ... bottom line is that each & every FISM we still have TERRIBLE acts competing. Not just mediocre acts - but TERRIBLE ones.

The current system of having the FISM president sign off a competitor means nothing. Standards vary enormously and its quite apparent that some esteemed FISM presidents really have little idea as to what actually goes on in the world of magic - otherwise we wouldn't have this problem.

Although have said that I'm beginning to think that the FISM organisers should start to introduce some more EXTREMELY bad acts -- and in the same way as Americal Idol - we can have them kicked off. They already now have the "red light" system where the judges can close the curtains on an act ... perhaps Tim would like to play the role of Simon Cowell ?

Seriously Tim - you must have plenty of stories to tell as a FISM judge -- its a true labour of love I'm sure. What are the highlights & lowlights of being a FISM judge ?
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1233 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Highlights of being a FISM Judge... I LOVE IT! I actually love watching every single act because you learn so much, even from the bad ones.

(Though, I was thinking of getting a T-Shirt made that says LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO WATCH BAD MAGIC Smile )

At the last FISM I especially loved the times between the acts when we, the jury, got to mess around a little. Craig will remember... the flashing lights, feeding time, interacting with Mr Music etc.

And it was the first Jury that ever got to use the, now infamous, "red light" system. The idea being that each juror has a button they can press, if 70% of judges press their buttons, a red light goes off and the curtains close on that act. The funniest thing was that the first time we needed to use it, it didn't work! I think every member of the jury was pressing buttons, and the audience started calling us to give him the red light, and we were all showing that we were pressing, but nothing was happening! In the end Eric Eswin (Secretary General of FISM) had to walk out on stage and physically pull the curtains shut.

I do agree with Craig though, often there are acts that really shouldn't be in the FISM comp, so how do they get there? They threat of embarassment at being "red lighted" might make them think twice, but I believe many really don't have a realistic view of their own act... and I guess their sponsors don't either.

I believe FISM was talking about a fee sponsors must pay, that is forfeited if the act fails to reach a certain score. If they have instituted that, it might weed out a few acts. However I have heard of at least one act who actually forged the signature of his sponsoring club. How stupid is that? As if he actually thought he'd get away with that?

There are a lot of rumours about the judging panel too, that I had heard, which I've discovered are certainly not true. People say that there's money changing hands, or favouritism, or collusion between judges. Not at all. It's one of the fairest, most open judging systems I've been involved with.

If you have any particular FISM moments or questions, jog my memory and I'll try to fill in the details.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » FISM 2009... and Fantasy FISM » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL