We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Vinny Marini's "La Famiglia" DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Vinny sent me an advance copy of his latest DVD for my first impressions (which were mixed).

Production quality was not as good as I expected but, upon reflection, I understand how and why the DVD came to be made the way it was. Basically, the DVD is a compilation of individual effects--one each sent to Vinny (at his request) by some of Vinny's many magician friends around the world (and whom, most, if not all, are Café members).

Vinny's concept was to bring together a group of magicians from around the world in a kind of a video brainstorming session where magical ideas, effects and developing routines are shared and presented to the magic community.

Each contributor sent in a video of himself performing one of his personal "favorites" and then providing the explanation. Vinny compiled these effects together onto a single DVD. Hence, the video production quality of each effect is dependent upon the quality of the video received.

One minor niggle: Some of the contributors went on for too long in their explanations and began to repeat themselves in their efforts to make certain that their explantion was both clear and complete. A little judicious "editing out" of such "repeating" material would have been appreciated.

But, if you are concerned appreciably about the video quality and production quality, you lose sight of the goal of the DVD, namely, to teach you some interesting effects and methodologies and letting you work in your own presentation for each. (Boy! What a concept! You actually have to come up with your own presentations and be unique!) Now, that said, what's on the DVD?

Most are complete effects, but, in the case of Vinny and Mano, just a sleight or move is taught. But these are good moves to learn and implement into ways that you see fit. For instance, Mano's "Demagnetized Raven" move is, in effect, a "Raven performance" utilizing an ungimmicked coin. Both the vanish AND the re-appearance!! Everyone (magicians) who sees this effect immedialtely thinks "Raven". (When I first saw the effect, my immediate reaction was "Shortsleeve shirt! Where's the pull?" "How the He** did he do THAT?") Easy sleight/move? Unquestionably, "NO!" Worth learning? Unquestionably, "YES!"

This DVD is a mix (about 50-50) of coin and card magic. Nothing else. The material on this DVD is not self-working or beginning magic. Most are "moderately difficult to difficult" to perform in one way or another and some will have a steep learning curve. But if you are interested in some serious magic technique, you should check this DVD out. At the very least, it can open your eyes to what is possible and what is currently being done "out there."

Rating?
Production quality: 6/10
Difficulty factor: 8-9/10
Originality of material presented: 7/10
Entertainment potential of material presented: 8/10
Overall Impression: 7/10

Hope this info proves useful to potential buyers.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 15:02, Turk wrote:

Most are "moderately difficult to difficult" to perform in one way or another and some will have a steep learning curve.

The official web site says the material on the DVD is "geared towards the beginner to intermediate finger flickers." Why then a difficulty rating as high as 8-9/10?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mike, thanks for such a detailed review. It's greatly appreciated!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ It's just a shame the effects themselves aren't actually reviewed... yes, it is worth knowing how the DVD came to be put together, that the production quality is not as good as the reviewer had expected, and that in his opinion some of the contributors went on for too long... but how about something about the effects themselves?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 18:05, NeoMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 15:02, Turk wrote:

Most are "moderately difficult to difficult" to perform in one way or another and some will have a steep learning curve.

The official web site says the material on the DVD is "geared towards the beginner to intermediate finger flickers." Why then a difficulty rating as high as 8-9/10?

NeoMagic,

I think that Vinny's thinking is that being an instructional video it is the beginners and the intermediates that will benefit most from such a video. My main purpose in posting my comments was to alert potential buyers that this is not "self-working "view once and your are good to go" material. I thought that that point would be important for potential buyers to know.

My reasoning for not posting detailed reviews of each effect was because all but two of the effects are generally described on Vinny's website. Perhaps I should have gone into more detail; let me re-think that.

Mike

P.S. The difficulty factor is entirely subjective to me (and I am not known for my sleight of hand dexterity). Perhaps others might find the material "a piece of cake". I did not, and, speaking strictly from the perspective of a beginner or intermediate "sleight of hander", to me, the material was of a more difficult nature than I am used to.

For another perspective on this material from a better magician than I, see Scott Grossberg's excellent review at: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

Scott is a much more accomplished magician than I am and he rates the material as being more easily incorporated into your routines than I do. Perhaps, my review was a bit too critical on the subjective issue of "difficulty factor". Here's my reasoning for my difficulty rating:

For coin sleights, think David Roth or Curtis Kam types of moves. For card moves, think Derek Dingle or Juan Tamariz types of moves.

For coin moves and effects, think of an effortlessly performed ungimmicked 3-Fly routine or being able to vanish a coin at the fingertips (and then be able to demonstrate a convincing "emptiness of both hands" while passing the coin back and forth between hands without arousing the slightest suspicion).

For card moves and effects, think of being able to easily perform Tamriz' "LaReverse" (sp?) card move or an effortless Ascanio spread of 6 cards shown as 4.

If you can do all the foregoing types of moves and sleights well then, this material's difficulty would probably rate no higher than a 2 or 3 for YOU.

Eschew obfuscation.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Turk, your evaluation is much appreciated. Although I must disagree that Vinny does not put out products that are not disagreable with us beginners(and not so beginners). Your evaluation is much appreciated and respected. But I most humbly must disagree.

P.S. is that how you spell "disagreee?"
Magic is a vanishing art.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 21:35, edh wrote:
Turk, your evaluation is much appreciated. Although I must disagree that Vinny does not put out products that are not disagreable with us beginners(and not so beginners). Your evaluation is much appreciated and respected. But I most humbly must disagree.

P.S. is that how you spell "disagreee?"

I didn't get any of that from Mike's review. Have you seen this new DVD?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I'm really excited....I can't wait to see the final product!!!!!

I hope you guys find a move, routine, or subtlety that you can apply to your own performances....
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Turk I want to thank you for you honest review of La Famiglia.
Charlie C and I were priviliged to Have Godhannz "Eric Jones" and Joe Jessie "Joey Coins" and Mono Tejera on the dvd,all of these young guns are extremely talented and
soon will be a house hold name.... in coin magic
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Mike - Thank you. Your review is dead on, as usual! Funny, I thought the same thing about Mano's effect (or, at the very least, that there was a gimmicked pad). - Scott
Magic Power
View Profile
Regular user
Taiwan
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Power
Excellent review Mike.
Goodjob mate

Cheers
"Be Nature"
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
In case I didn't mention it clearly or directly in my prior posts, I really like the concept that Vinny's "La Famiglia" DVD was striving for. Basically a one-on-one brainstorming session where sleights, moves and concepts are displayed. I suspect that only the logistics of all of the contributors being spread out around the world kept this from being in the "Desert Brainstorm" format (a series of mentalism tapes) where all of the contributors sat around a table and discussed routines each person had just performed for an audience. But, Vinny's "brainstorming" format is a very nice concept and I LOVE the idea of showcasing young up-and-coming magicians.

Mike

P.S. Now, what I'd really like to see is a DVD where each perfomrer perfomrs his best routine dealing with a particular theme. Such as,....their favorite ring on rope effect; or, their favorite cups and balls routine, etc.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Vinny Marini's "La Famiglia" DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL