The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Cross the river (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Here is a nice puzzle, which foxed me for ages:

Adam, Bill, Chris and Dave are on one side of a bridge over a river at night.

Each of them is able to walk at different speeds.

Adam is the fastest - it takes him 1 minute to cross the bridge.
Bill is the next-fastest - it takes him 2 minutes to cross the bridge.
Chris is the next-fastest - it takes him 5 minutes to cross the bridge.
Dave is the slowest - it takes him 10 minutes to cross the bridge.

They have one torch between them, and this must be carried on the bridge at all times. It cannot be thrown across the river.

They must cross no more than two at a time, travelling at the speed of the slower person.

What must they do for all of them to arrive on the other side of the river in no more than 17 minutes?
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
I found two slightly different solutions.

/Tomas
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Yes - that's right. There are two.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I agree with Tomas.

(He's an ace at these.)
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
The two differ only in the second and fourth (return-the-torch-to-the-others)
crossings.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Now you are giving too much away. Smile
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Allowing for the return trips , I still arrive at 19 minutes
Dave + Adam 10 mins
+1 return
Chris + adam 5 mins
+i return
Bill + Adam 2
total 19.
unless there is a rope for him to swing back on, who is going to volunteer the answer.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27016 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is there something more efficient than setting up a table or tree search for doing this class of problem?

On the "real world" type side of this puzzle...
Let me get this right... One has a motercycle with sidecar, one has a nice italian sportscar and at least one has has a tandem bicycle. And the bike easily fits on the back of the car... and none of them have a cellphone that works. Presuming none of them are birds or bats of course. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Mike, you are wasting too much time by not letting the slowest pair walk together. So the reasoning would be that if you can't move a slow one across very fast, you might as well get another slow person over at the same time to be done with him also and not waste time on him later.

And I think that answers Jonathan's question also. Once you get the idea just mentioned there's really only two ways to do it and both ways will end up taking the same amount of time. So no exhaustive search is neccesary since you can reason your way to the solution.

/Tomas
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Thomas,if the 2 slowest go across together dave 10 and chris 5, it will still take chris 5 minutes more to return across the bridge with the torch, that's 15 minutes already used,there are still 3 more people to cross and return? so it still don,t make sense .(to me)
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Mike, once the slowest pair have walked across there can be a fast one already there to bring the torch back.

/Tomas
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Ok ,got it, thanks,see what I mean about some easy ones are hard.(they are ALL easy when you know) he he.
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
When I first heard this puzzle it took me AGES to find the solution. After many attempts I first concluded it was impossible. It's easy when you know how, of course!
Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Cross the river (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL