The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars (1, 2, 3) - vs - Matrix (1, 2, 3) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
As there seems to be a trend for this kind of thread.... Smile

How about a comparison between just the latest three Star Wars movies (Phantom, Clones, Sith) and the three Matrix movies (Matrix, Reloaded, Revolutions)? Personally I think the Matrix movies win out overall... I think George Lucas disappointed many fans big time.

Here's my order of preference (best to worst): Matrix, Phantom, Reloaded, Revolutions, Sith, Clones

Over to you.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Well I think the matrix werent that great after the first one. I personally liked star wars better. phantom menace was okay, not great, not horrible. just okay. attack of the clones was good, boring, but good. it was necessary in building the plot. sith with incredible. great full circle ending. I go with star wars

may the force be with you
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I have to go with star wars. Matrix was ok, But star wars is the best. I liked all three of the new trilogy movies. I believe the reason a lot of traditional starwars fans where let down by the new movies is because they didn't like the fact of the new technology in them. So when you watch the movies in order you have this brilliant picture and effects, then you get to the originals and its quality isn't as great.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I think Matrix 1 was better than all 1,2, and 3 episodes of Star Wars.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ Great minds think alike! Smile
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-03-11 13:11, Corey Harris wrote:

I believe the reason a lot of traditional starwars fans where let down by the new movies is because they didn't like the fact of the new technology in them...

Not for me... I disliked the wooden acting (okay, so Matrix had Keanu Reeves!), cheesy dialogue, and terrible scripting... Smile
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Quote:
On 2006-03-11 13:11, Corey Harris wrote:
I have to go with star wars. Matrix was ok, But star wars is the best. I liked all three of the new trilogy movies. I believe the reason a lot of traditional starwars fans where let down by the new movies is because they didn't like the fact of the new technology in them. So when you watch the movies in order you have this brilliant picture and effects, then you get to the originals and its quality isn't as great.

yea, but they should think, how would the new ones be if THEY were made in the 70s and 80s.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ probably even worse than they are already! Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
In my book even the worst Star Wars movie is head and shoulders above the best of the Matrix films. But then IMHO there wasn't a best Matrix film as they were all pretty bad. They lost me at the batteries bit. As if humans can A: Generate enough juice to run even the smallest of electrical appliances and B: Do so without the benifit of the sun as well.
So Star Wars is my movie series of choice.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ "Free your mind." Smile
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4287 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Just BASED ON MOVIES, matrix wins hands down because star wars(all 3) sucked the big one.

I am a die hard star wars fan, but lucas lost it in the last 20 years and is just shoveling his excrement at us and telling us its gold.... now way.

The stories were jacked, acting was bad, just the whole telling was really messed up in 1&2... 3 was a little bit better imho but only because the end of the story was written for him(20 yrs ago). So we knew where we were headed... so the only good point about all 3 movies was where they matched up WITH WHAT HE WROTE 20 YEARS AGO!!!! Star wars 4,5,6 all good, 1,2,3 all bad imho.

Anyway, Matrix is very odd since they made the first one assuming that it would be a singular movie, which is why such an odd transition and why the trilogy doesn't work as well as it could have had they known they would be able to make all 3.

As movies though, they are GREAT... excellent music, graphics, acting(I normally don't like reeves, but since his character fits his personality this can be overlooked in this movie imho), storyline, all that.... Very well done.

As a Sci-Fi Reality though, you may have a point that star wars is more realistic than Matrix..... However I think the story drove the movies in Star wars, while the movie drives the story in the matrix, but either way its a darn good set to sit down and watch(if anyone tries to force me to watch Episode 1 or 2 of SW again I'll bite off their arms!!!)

Payne:
First off, they are harnessing thermal AND electrical AND chemical energy from the humans... and they are doing it enmasse.

I'm not saying that the logic isn't on shaky grounds, but you have to realize that at the time of the takeover, robots were just defending themselves and didn't want to harm humans.... they only harmed humans after they were forced to(watch animatrix if you want background on the war and whatnot, also VERY good and its too bad it couldn't go in theatres... very well done imho).

Given this logic, it can be seen that they wouldnt really want to wipe out humans but only stop humans from killing the robots, so keeping them around as power is a good option, as well as giving them a reality to live in, because in a sense you are not harming humans by doing this.

Its kinda a tangent, but like "the 13th floor" and other movies where one's reality is called into question, it comes down to "If are reality is fake but we cannot detect or know this in any way, then does it make a difference?" Personally I say no(kinda like in physics in a train with no windows can't tell if moviing or not).

If you follow this train of thought, then in the robots minds they aren't harming humans AT ALL, because they are providing the race with a better reality than the war-ridden one(remember the matrix is supposedly at the height of civilization)....

Another thing to think about is that robots think in the LONG TERM. Nuclear and other things use mucho fuel, whereas according to the sci background of the matrix, humans are a self-replenishing energy source(they use dead for chemical energy and whatnot to feed/take care of others).... I know this kinda violates perpetual motion.... but if you buy into the sci background that they are renewable, then the LONG TERM thinking robots might choose them over other power sources, even more efficent power sources.

If you add in the long term thinking with the will to not destroy the human race, it becomes much more plausible in my eyes, even logical.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
^ yea the acting in star wars was bad. it was bad in all of them, all 6. however, the matrix wasn't much better with all that monotone junk. STAR WARS IS BETTER. live with it. haha also, can you tell me why 1 and 2 of star wars was so bad. number 2 was quite boring, but I totally turned the plot around. anakin had been an innocent little kid, then he became a man with a sinister attitude. it made a segway between the beginning to revenge of the sith and to "foreshadow" (we already knew what was coming) the death star and the beginnings of the empire. the one thing I totally hated about the first three movies was count dooku. what a lame evil person. in the first one, darth maul was pretty cool. another thing, the first three movies totally gave the background to the star wars movies that everyone loves. it showed what the jedi really was, it showed why obi-wan and yoda were so awkwardly and randomly placed, and it totally made you understand just why EVERYTHING was the way it was in the old ones. they were great movies with great special effects (without OVERDOING them. the matrix did the slow motion thing way too many times. they couldve done it only once when they jumped at each other with the guns, but no. they do it like a million times). star wars is number one, stop arguing. haha

oh and one more thing, I didn't understand a word you said up there. I think you've watched a bit too much matrix. these are movies, they are stories. they are FICTION. they don't need to be plausible. its just a movie. who cares which ones more logical. fiction is MADE-UP, its supposed to be out of this world.

Star Wars is better in my eyes, and many eyes. I don't think there are Matrix conventions or a big line of matrix action figures, legos, toys, videogames (i think theres maybe 2 matrix games), ive never seen matrix monopoly.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-03-12 06:18, Daegs wrote:

Just BASED ON MOVIES, matrix wins hands down because star wars(all 3) sucked the big one.

I am a die hard star wars fan, but lucas lost it in the last 20 years...

I have to agree!

Quote:
On 2006-03-12 08:57, magicman226 wrote:

can you tell me why 1 and 2 of star wars was so bad. number 2 was quite boring...

You've answered your own question... Clones is boring and entirely forgettable. Who wants to go see a movie that puts you to sleep? Smile

Quote:
On 2006-03-12 08:57, magicman226 wrote:

I don't think there are Matrix conventions or a big line of matrix action figures, legos, toys, videogames (i think theres maybe 2 matrix games), ive never seen matrix monopoly.

We aren't discussing popularity built on hype, but quality of movie! Not sure if the force is with you on this one! Smile
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
But clones was still a good movie. you just need to learn to stay awake. I didn't fall asleep.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ But you were bored as you've already said! Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27183 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The films would probably intercut nicely.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Back to the Future is far better anyway...
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Back to the future progressively got worse. 1 was awesome 2 was really good and 3 was okay, not especially good, but not bad.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Come on, We all know that if they would have continued with a spaceballs trilogy, that it would be better than any of the matrix/starwars/back to the future movies combined.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I have to say, I agree with corey.

May the Schwartz be with you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars (1, 2, 3) - vs - Matrix (1, 2, 3) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL