The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Million Dollar Mysteries - James Lewis (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Leigh
View Profile
New user
Ex-Blighty, now Canada
78 Posts

Profile of Leigh
This is probably the wrong place to post this question, but here goes...

I'm considering buying this video, but cannot find enough information regarding its contents. Only very sparse snippets, picked up from various magic forums.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Leigh, I can't find video. Let me know where you can get it, and I'll buy one too.

Jim has really nice magic on this tape - a excellent C/S/B routine, professor's nightmare, mismade bill, coins thru the table, coins thru a glass table. It is a really good video.

Dan
Click to visit:
Leigh
View Profile
New user
Ex-Blighty, now Canada
78 Posts

Profile of Leigh
Have a look at this link, Dan
http://www.daytonamagic.com/Video's/video027.htm

It's quite hard to obtain now. My local dealers here in Canada don't stock it. One hadn't heard of it.

I'm looking for opinions from someone who's seen the video and not just the dealer hype.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
When I performed at the Castle last January, Jim Lewis was one of the "seasoned pros" who was very kind and genuinely interested in my work. I remember him doing the coins thru glass table which looked incredible!
He showed me some cool moves with a Ton Onosaka purse which I'd never seen before.
At the end of my week there, Jim gave me his tape as a present.

Back in Holland, when I saw all those cool things I was even more pleasantly surprised because then I realized a lot of his techniques were applicable for some of the routines I performed at the Closeup gallery.

It was one of those rare moments when you realize the power of learning-moments.
Thank you James! You are great!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
James' video is fantastic. It's been a while since I saw it, but I would rate it as one of the best videos I've ever seen.

Rough contents:
* Copper Silver Brass. Nice routine, but some of it is performance only.
* Equal-Unequal Ropes. One of the best handlings in the world.
* Coin thru Glass Table. Brilliant!

Any of these is worth the price of the tape. He also talks about purse switches. Also worth the price of the tape. His snail mail contact details are on the tape, and I suggest you also get his lecture notes "Thinking about Magic."

He was supposed to be releasing a book (via L&L) but nothing ever came of it.

Bye for now,

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
I agree with Cataquet. Million Dollar Mysteries is a great video. All the materials in it are very performable. The Professor's Nigthmare alone is worth many times the proverbial price of the tape. You'll find also his coin through the table and the mismade dollar bill. I do not know if it is his but he surely popularized it. His coins through the glass table must be seen to be believed. I was fortunate to see it live at one of the Tannen's Jubilees. I was stunned!!!! Get the tape if you can. I hope he will rerelease it on DVD sometime in the near future.
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
My opinion is that the only routine that is "worth the price of the tape" on Million Dollar Mysteries is the CSB routine. Coins through the glass table top is not really a practical item (c'mon, you don't see them THAT often) even though it is visually stunning. All the other routines seem to be good working effects, but not in the same league as his CSB routine, "Foreign Exchange."
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
It is a very, very good tape. As for Jim's "coins through the glass table," I can tell you that it is quite practical and memorable. Jim has performed it for years. Foreign Exchange and Jim's handling of Bob Carver's P. N. are both elegant, strong routines.

It is not hard to obtain at the moment. Jim recently released a small run of them; any dealer can get it through Murphy's Magic Supplies.

MagicSmith has them in stock.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Since I have the tape, I will list what is on it:

Turning a dollar inside out [Mismade bill]
Change for a dollar
Purse frame coin
Coins through table
Visible coins through glass table
Hypnotizing the Professor [Professor's Nightmare]
Foreign exchange
One coin triple change Spellbound

This tape is well worth getting, if you can find it.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
The coins through the glass table top may be practical in terms of method, but the critical ingredient for the effect (the glass table itself!) is not so easy to find. For the majority of magicians out there who do not perform formal sit down performances at a single venue over and over, I would say that you will not get much mileage from the effect, regardless of how well it is constructed (and it IS very well constructed, particularly that last coin!). For a similar "moment", perhaps many would find Paul Harris' Twilight to be more practical. It has the same eerie sort of quality when your perceptual senses give you a good beating, but can be performed in a wider variety of venues.
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
With all respect Chris, that is something I do not agree on.
While coins thru glass table has it's problems with the non-availability of a glass table, Twilight has a problem just as big, being extremely angle-sensitive.
Nonetheless I have my own version of Twilight which is one of my favorites. I can only perform it at a place like the Closeup gallery in the Castle (wich I did in January)
I am still rather frustrated that such a magical effect can be performed so little...

As for the coins thru the glass table, once there IS a glass table, the routine is virtually angle-proof and beats Twilight in being more practical.
The best way should be to bring your own glass tabletop (Which is exactly what Jim explaines on the video. First he tells his audience about this challenge he once had, THEN he proves it by actually showing them a glass tabletop, which they'd never expected him to have. This is really good building to the effect!)

Anyway i agree with you Chris, that the CSB effect is the real worker on the tape. I've used it since i learned it Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Twilight is interesting, but does not project well.

As far as glass tables; they are hardly rare. When you learn a routine like Jim's, you become sensitized. You will quickly locate glass tables you have walked pass dozens of times before.

For a formal show, of course . . . you supply your own.
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
Maybe its just the way in Australia, but I barely ever see 'em. As for your adaption of twilight, Dan, there are at least 2 or 3 things you can do that virtually eliminate all angle problems (except from directly behind). You have to think laterally (literally!), but it is not too great a leap.

You may have a point about the increased sensitivity to glass table tops once you are committed to performing the routine.
simonlebon1
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of simonlebon1
Where I can find this video on dvd? !!!!
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
It's a rare video, not yet converted to DVD by Jim Lewis. Maybe because the magic was so good, he regretted making it.
~Joe
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
This is a great video performed at the Castle with real laymen, not the L&L type. Pro routines, good reactions, the explanations thorough. Plus this is very doable stuff that you can add with intermediate skill. Highly reccomended.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
If I were to perform coins through glass table I think it would be very practical to carry around a plexiglass panel. I think they make it scratch free. It is light and won't break. I could see putting my close up mat on top of it and when ready take off the matt and do my business. Of course a glass top at the venue would be more impressive but the plexiglass idea would be a perfect alternative and give you greater flexibility and allow you to perform the effect more often.

Having seen the effect on tape I would say it is worth carrying around either a glass or plexiglass panel just for this effect. It's beautiful to watch and is not that difficult.

Steve
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I saw James Lewis do this in person and he brought a plexi sheet and a couple of light sawhorses to the gig. The plexiglass had a green felt tablecloth. He did all his normal close-up on the felt surface, then removed the tablecloth for the glass table effect. He did a great job.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Just got a vhs copy at the Catsle swap meet. This is a terrific tape.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
The Lewis coin work and purse switch are superb. Don't know why he never put this on dvd.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Million Dollar Mysteries - James Lewis (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL