The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Countryman ISOMAX E6 Directional EarSet Mic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
This looks to be a good mic. It's directional and an earset.
Seems like the best of both worlds.

Anyone use this puppy?

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hello, again, Frank!
A directional lav or earset mic is a good bet only if the speakers are outside the directional pick-up area of the mic. An earset points across the mouth, points roughly toward front-stage-left or front-stage-right (sometimes the front/rear/left/right of stage as you turn your body), and usually points almost parallel to the floor (except when you look up or down). Hence, if your speakers are overhead, and you're not using floor monitors, a directional/uni-directional/cardioid earset may be a good bet. If, however, you use side-stage speakers, one of them will probably be directly within the mic's pick-up pattern most of the time, and it then may not be a good bet. This, of course, all depends upon speaker placement and PA loudness.

Yet, again, I'm not down on uni's. I just want to make clear that the choice between uni & omni is not as simple as following the very common, very false notion that uni's offer better gain-before-feedback. Context is everything.

Posted: Mar 11, 2006 6:10pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, Frank, to actually answer your question (which I occassionally do), I've used the directional E6, and it is very nice. The DPA 4088 is even nicer, in terms of sound quality and ability to stay in place on your head, but it's a tad larger. If a directional headset is right for your speaker placement, etc, the E6 is smaller, but the 4088 sounds better and stays in place better. The E6 is also very fragile, whereas the 4088 isn't.
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Dan,

Who makes the DPA 4088?

Thanks,
Dan.
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
800 Posts

Quote:
Who makes the DPA 4088?

DPA does. "Danish Pro Audio". http://www.dpamicrophones.com/
Dan McLean Jr
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

That looks real nice. what wireless systems does it work with?
I have an audio-technica freeway 600 and belt pack? would it plug into
that or do I have to buy a completely different unit altoghether?
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Frank,

Call DPA, they should carry the connector to connect it to your Audio Technica body pack. I use the connector for a Sennheiser body pack.

Personally I use a DPA 4088-F microphone. It sounds amazing and it is really small, the Countryman mic will break on you since they are poorly made, bad connectors, customer services etc.

Search for the countryman microphones on the forums, or read the following links and you'll see why.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3905501

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=11

DPA MICROPHONES

Here is a review by some sound tech people on the DPA I use:
http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_dpa_microphones/

A picture can be seen at:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4088F

Additionally I don't work for DPA or Sweetwater.

G0THIKE
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Dan,

Thank you. How would you compare the DPA to the AT892 that you mentioned earlier?

Thanks!
Dan.
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
800 Posts

Quote:
Thank you. How would you compare the DPA to the AT892 that you mentioned earlier?

Dan,
In my opinion, the DPA 4065/4066/4067 (omni) is King, although there will be contexts in which the 4088 (uni) is a better choice. The AT is still a wonderful mic, though. It's size is similar to the Countryman E6, but the AT is more rugged, and stay's in place better. As for staying in place, I don't know how it holds on a sweaty head, but maybe someone who owns one, and who has a sweaty head, can comment:)
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Dan,

As always you are da man! THanks for the valuable information.

Dan.
Zamboni
View Profile
New user
Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Zamboni
With regards to directional earsets I was thinking of getting one not to avoid feedback but to avoid talking of props and gimmicks. Does anyone have experience of how well this works?
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We use the DPA and believe it to be the best mic out there. We are using the omni and with a good sound man it can be used anywhere.
The fact that it goes over both ears makes it much more stable than the E6 in my opinion.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

So how can you trust an omni mic to keep from getting feedback?
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
I have to stick my nose in here...
We have used the DPA for going on 5 years now, the same one. Have used it with all kinds of PA and speaker set ups, 100's of halls, theatres, inside, outside, you name it and it has never given us one bit of trouble or feedback.
Come to think of it I've only see one break and that was more actor than mic, and easy to avoid. The wire that runs from the headset to the body pack comes out of the center of the headband in the back and runs thru a little rubber thing. The person in question gave the wire a very hard pull tucking it into his shirt. It's a tough mic it didn't come out but it did crack. So, if you get one (which you should) just a bit below where the wire comes out use a small piece of flesh tone bandaid and tape the wire to the headband. You'll be set.
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Sounds impressive. If I end up wanting something better than what I've got now, this will probably be what I get. They look good too.

I assume speaker placement must still be of concern with the mic as with all omni mics?

thanks
frank
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
800 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-03-17 02:26, Frank Starsini wrote:
I assume speaker placement must still be of concern with the mic as with all omni mics?

Yep, speaker placement is a concern with all mics. Actually, in most cases, speaker & mic placement are probably MORE critical with uni mics.

With an omni mic, the two main concerns are distance & loudenss, but with a uni mic, you also need to add mic directivity to the list. As has been discussed many times here in the past, though, that directivity may be able to be worked to your advantage in certain situations.

In almost every situations, the ABSOLUTE #1 thing that needs to be done in order to help reduce the likelihood of feedback is to make the distance from the mouth to the mic as short as possible. This is the easiest way to have the most effect.
Dan McLean Jr
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. I hope to get some time in front of my PA and mic this weekend to try it out.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Frank,
I just want to throw in my 2 cents. I've use a DPA 4065 for about a year and a half and love it. The only time I ever had a problem with feedback was when I put the speakers too close to the stage. Once I got slightly longer speaker cables I never had a problem again.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I've used the Countyrman for two years now and I love it. I do a lot of bigger events where a/v is supplied. I always bring my own mic and I've had sound techs marvel at the clarity of it. It's also been trouble free.

I'm sure there are other opions out there just as good, but I'm a Countryman fan all the way.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Those DPA's ought to be nice, just got a price list. Their mics are astronomical. Over $1600 for a typical compact mic?! I'd have to go thru 4 countrymans to justify the price. Maybe the exchange rate with the Netherlands just isn't favorable these days?
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
844 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
The DPA 4066 runs about $600 U.S. at Full Compass. I just checked.

Lou
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Countryman ISOMAX E6 Directional EarSet Mic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL