We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Review, The Escape Biz Vol. 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
This is a long overdue review for the great works of Steve Baker and the co-author Dean Carnegie.

This book centers around performing. This book fills you in on the thing all performers need, the right frame of mind. This book gives you all you need to know on professionalism, critiscm, and things needed in your act. Its funny how many things performers can forget about, this book brings up all of them. Many people in the escape world could today who "know everything" can learn a few things.

As I said before, the right frame of mind is a must. Steve and Dean describe what a professional is, does, with uncanny detail. This book is a must for the serious performer. A++

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
It's a great read and encourages you to read between the lines and put your thinking cap on.
I am the greatest ea alive today!!! And even I learned from it.

This revue has nothing to do with Steve being my grandad.

Ken
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have said before that there is precious little written to help a performer get started or to help an individual who is technically proficient develop a successful and saleable act. There is little that helps an individual who is technically proficient into a professional performer. There is little written on just what does it take!

Now comes Steve Baker, Mr. Escape, (with co-author Dean Carnegie) with a planned series of books that will address this in some depth. The first book of the series is called “The Escape Biz – Unlock the Secrets to a Professional Career in Escapes and the Related Arts – Volume 1”.

The book has seven chapters plus two essays, two interviews, and biographies of Mr. Baker and his co-author Dean Carnegie. It is 60 single sided pages, comb bound, with clear plastic cover and heavy stock back cover. It is a well-made and well-produced booklet.

There is a chapter on assistants and another on props that I haven’t seen covered elsewhere. The advice given is pure gold. What you will read is advice and suggestions given by an individual with decades of performing experience. Heck, even before he focused on escapes as his main livelihood, Mr. Baker was as very successful comedy magician whose act took him around the world. Here is your chance to read how to approach your art and your business from the point of view of someone that has done it all successfully.

It is promised that later volumes will help you focus on what it takes to build a successful act and how an act can be tailored to a specific performance venue.

What you will not get in this book is how to escape from any restraint. Rather this book is focused on those elements that will help you become a polished professional performer. It assumes that you have some technical proficiency in escaping from restraints.

I suspect that when completed this series of books will be up there with John Novak’s series on escapes as a must have for the professional escape artists library.

Let me say, as with all of my reviews, I have no financial interest in this book.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Harry,

You have posted a wonderful and thorough review of a fine book. Let me just add, that my personal favorite part of the book is the advice on controlling how the audience feels about you the preformer. I think this is a very ovelooked area in magic today, with some excellent magical "technicians" not bothering with the audience at all. I won't give away what Steve says specifically, but I think that chapter by itself is worth the price of the book.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
AmazingMax
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of AmazingMax
Really great book. Waiting April for part 2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Review, The Escape Biz Vol. 1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL