The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Snapping the Will Rogers Knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Snapping the Will Rogers Knot:
I just purchased THE DENNIS LOOMIS KNOT ROUTINE... PLUS! and had the good fortune of Dennis Loomis being in the magic shop at the time I made the purchase. Mr. Loomis was nice enough to autograph my copy, and I thank him again for that.

I think the entire content of the DVD is very good and taught very well by Mr. Loomis, and after viewing the entire content once, I had to try Snapping the Will Rogers Knot. This knot is very visual, and I think will get great reactions once I perfect it. Dennis Loomis demonstrates this knot on several ropes including a neck tie, but all I had at hand was a very soft-cored magician’s rope, which may have proved to be a bit light for a beginner to practice this knot. To my surprise, I achieved this knot on my first try, which boosted my confidence. It took about 20 - 30 more tries to accomplish it again.

I studied the explanation again and again, and have a very good idea of the method of creating the knot. After lots of practice with the magician’s rope, I am down to getting the knot 1:5 times. Today, I am going out and buying some heavier rope as recommended in the video for beginners to practice on, and hopefully, it might give me better luck.

I am slowly getting together a rope trick library, and THE DENNIS LOOMIS KNOT ROUTINE... PLUS! DVD is a very good addition.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Zazz,
I learned it years ago at a juggling convention, and Jeff Moche does it in his act, which I saw at Monday Night Magic in New York. It really is a rope trick lovers rope trick. I always called it "throwing a knot." I don't know what rope was recommended to you, but I like the Daryl rope because it is thick, round, pure white, and is also somewhat elastic.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Al,

You just answered another question for me. Why don't they do rope tricks at juggler conventions? Apparently they do! Great!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You know, Bob, jugglers are a funny breed. They love magic tricks where physical skill is involved. Like rope tricks, dollar bill folding, the Boomerang Rubber Band, coin snatching, dice stacking, the Japanese Kendama, hat manipulation, and other useless skills.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Al,

"Useless skills" are my life style! I would love that. I'm going to find a jugglers' convention. HELP!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks, Zazz, for the plug, and for buying the DVD. Since we live near each other, don't forget that I would be happy to get together to help you, if you wish.

I've got a new DVD coming out about May 1.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Rats! Wish I lived close enough to get together, Dennis! Your knot routine is a big favorite of mine. You really packed that DVD with a world of information! I keep two ropes handy at all times to keep in practice. Drives my wife nuts!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Thank you, Mr. Loomis. I may take you up on that. I think I can use a few pointers.
I have been looking for some heavy drapery cord, but the larger diameter is hard to find in my area. Most places carry 1/4" or 3/8" cord, and that is about equivalent to my magicians rope, which I think is a little too light weight for me.
I finally found some 1/2" cord, yesterday, so this weekend, I will practice to see if that works better.

~ Dan

Posted: Apr 5, 2006 11:46pm
I have finally found some good rope.
The 1/2" drapery cord works very well, but today, I found a nylon rope that resembles Daryl's ropes with a solid core, and it is somewhat heavier with a nice feel to it.
In the hardware store, I pulled about three feet off the rope reel and snapped the knot on the first try as the salesman walked toward me to help cut the rope. His eyes got big and had a big smile as he approached me. It was a nice moment.

~ Dan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can put a tiny bit of weight in the end of the rope.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Thanks, Pete.
That sounds like a great idea.
I've tied a tight knot in the end of the rope, and that works OK.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It is funny this knot is called the Will Rogers Knot, because it was taught to me by an Oklahoma rope trick performance artist named Forrest Hobbs, who was one unforgettable cowboy character.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Zazz,

Could you be a bit more specific as to where you found your rope (which store) and what brand it is?

Thanks!

Curt
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I purchased both of the larger ropes I mentioned above locally, California Bay area.

The 1/2" drapery cord was bought at a small fabric store that sells a small line of drapery cord. I have searched several fabric stores before I found this cord, which is both over 3/8" in diameter and very limber.

The nylon braided cord was found at the hardware store, Yardbirds. This store was bought out by The Home Depot and will close 07/04/06. The braided rope resembles Daryl's ropes more than it does marine rope.

I'm not sure what brand these ropes are. They are not considered "magic ropes".

The rope I like best, but not particularly for Snapping The Knot, is Daryl's Thick Rope for $5.95 at http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/produ......d=300113.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had never heard it called the Will Rogers Knot...but my patter, which I have used for 30-plus years, is, just as I have tossed the knot into the rope, I say, "As Will Rogers once said...'HEY, THIS ISN'T MY ROPE." IT MAKES NO SENSE, but it plays and gets the laugh.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Thanks, Zazz. I'll keep making the rounds of my local hardware stores.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
THE DENNIS LOOMIS KNOT ROUTINE... PLUS! DVD gives good advice on what ropes to use. Mr. Loomis is a very nice man, and is very helpful with any questions pertaining to this material. I am still practicing and looking for the perfect rope, and may still take Mr. Loomis up on his offer for help.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Pete,
I started using the "Will Rogers" patter as a running gag in my Knot Routine, and may have been the first to call the process of snapping a knot in a Rope the "Will Rogers Knot." Will Rogers did it, as you can see on my DVD, and it seemed an appropriate title. While Will Rogers was one of the best known people on the planet during the first half of the last century, his name is not as recognizable as it was. His technique with ropes was just amazing, and you can still get his original movie, The Ropin' Fool, on DVD from the Will Rogers Museum.

Pete's line is interesting because Will Rogers did not use the limber style of rope that most magicians use. He used the same spinning rope that formed his lariats and that stiffness makes doing it MUCH harder. Also, it requires a different technique. There are, in fact, several different ways to snap a knot in a rope, and I demonstrate the differences on the DVD.

There are so many different knot tricks with rope that you don't want to try to do them all in a single performance. And, there is no one rope that is "best" for all of them. Different knots and tricks are best done with different ropes. However, I can do the great majority of the knots on my DVD with the drapery cord, which I prefer. As Zazz points out, you can find it in some stores, but it isn't easy to locate. I am looking into getting a supply to have available for magicians.

To magicgrandpa, Yes, I wish we could get together, too. Should you happen to attend a magic convention and discover I'm there, please introduce yourself, and we can spend some time together working/playing with knots and such. This goes for anyone else reading this thread.

Best to All,

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
Just wanted to say Hi, Dennis.

Darren...
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi, Darren. Hope you are well and happy.

Best to all,

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
I always say, "A good friend of mine, Dennis Loomis, would hold a piece of rope like this and, with one swift flick of the wrist, a knot would appear here.....................But I'm not Dennis Loomis, and I can't do that."

Darren...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Snapping the Will Rogers Knot (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL