The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Icue vs airclick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I was about to purchase an Icue, then while doing some research I have discovered people using an Airclick with their ipod. It seems that I really don't need the Icue as an airclick would do almost everthing that the Icue can do. I am right? Am I crazy?

What benifits does the Icue have over the simple airclick?

any clarification here would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

scott
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi, I am waiting on my icue. The airclick would not have the fade out of the music when you move on to the next track. You would have to lower the volume and then put it back up when you start your next track. While I am waiting I am using the ipod itself on my table with the cord going under my backdrop to my sound system, but I am looking forward to being able to just hit a button, the song fades out and prepares the next song and adjusts the volume back up to normal as well.

that's a big difference to me b/n the two.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
With the Air Click you would have to build fades into the track if you wanted the track to fade.

Also, it's using the Air Click (or similar) that requires the silent track between your songs. You let the song that's playing end (fading if desired) and then it runs on into the blank track and plays along (nothing) while you do your patter. You have as much blank track as required.
With the Air Click, you then hit the "advance to next track" button which advances from the blank track to your next music track.......and voila, you're onto the next song and on your way.

So you're right, it can do a lot. The iCue can do a lot more, but it's really all about what you need it to do, and how much you're willing to pay to do it.
Certainly if the iCue does what you need, you should get one.
If it's the Air Click that does what you need it to do, it's a lot less money.
RKappe
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of RKappe
The Air Click was designed for personal use. You won't have as much interference protection or range as the icue. Auto fade and advance have to be manipulated manually and your unit will shut down in pause after a while. There's no display you can read on stage. You would have to play blank tracks to avoid the unit shuting down. For the occasional user the air click may be fine, as a professional I use only Virtual Soundman Products to control my music. I used them on a cruise ship and large stages with great raliability. Again it's up to your budget to determine what works. You won't be disappointed with the icue. Just get in line now as they sell quickly. It's worth the wait.
Zamboni
View Profile
New user
Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Zamboni
You can also use the ABT iJet to control an iPod. It is basically a cheaper way to get control over you music timing than the Icue.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1055 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
My showtech has been great, but I'm not using it anymore. (make me an offer on the showtech!)

I will probably eventually get an iCue for the fadeout capabilities.

However, right now I'm using an AirClick with my Apple Powerbook....which is great, because the screen gives me a visual indicator of what's going on. I also don't have to bother syncing with my iPod every time I make a change. Plus, I think the computer probably responds a little bit faster.

I was using a remote with the ipod before, but I've been very happy using the computer. I have had zero problems with the airclick....no interference....nothing.

I've used this in some pretty important shows with great confidence.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3885 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Can someone please explain AirClick to me? I don't have an iPod. I was thinking about picking up a Virtual Soundman but this sounds like all I really need for now. Will this work with iPod nano? Also, I have an amplifier system and was wondering how you connect your iPod to the amplifier? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm an iPod novice. Thanks.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
It will not work with the ipod nano. I asked the same question to someone on the phone with the company that makes the airclick. Someone also posts here who knows a lot about them. To connect your ipod to the amp, go to a music store, a radio shack, or somewhere similar, and they will give you the correct plugs.

While I was waiting for my icue2, I used the ipod plugged into my small sound system and got a cord long enough that I had the ipod itself just sitting on my table. I then had the "silence" track between the songs, and it worked fine. But now that I have the icue2 and can fade in and out whenever I am at the end of the routine, and adjust the volume up and down very simply I would not go back. It really is plug and play. I use the ipod nano with it and it works great.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3885 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Thanks Chad. That's strange that it won't work with the nano.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
It is strange but good news is that Jason of Griffin says it will work soon according to his recent message below:

-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-02-16 16:09, MR2Guy wrote:
Hi Gang.

We will be producing an AirClick product that will be compatible with iPod nano. I don't have an absolute ship date, but it should be in the next couple of months.

Thanks for the interest.

Jason
Griffin Technology

--------------------------------------------------------------

For the price the Airclick is fantastic. I recommend anyone with a compatable iPod to try it. It's a great way to control your show. Like Tim I have never had a problem with it in every imaginable venue. If you misplace the remote you can run down to a local store and get a replacement.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2006-03-24 18:53, emyers99 wrote:
Will this work with iPod nano?

For anyone wondering about the compatibility of ANY Griffin product with ANY iPod, check here;
http://www.griffintechnology.com/ipod/
Dan McLean Jr
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Greetings,

For the price the Airclick is amazing, I think I was the first person to mention it on this forum, Jason from Griffin Technologies sent me a Airclick even though I don't own a IPOD, but he then sent me the USB version and it triggers Windows Media Player and other software but I use WINAMP, which I am still waiting for a software update. HINT.

I searched the IPOD forums and no one yet has been able to build a firmware crack, to allow the IPODs to fade or crossfade. A compter needs 133mhz to fade and the IPOD speed is faster, Im puzzled.

I belief the Airclick has a noise filter which makes it realiable and filters interfernce from other radio waves and signals.

My advice is buy the Airclick, test it out, if you don't like it, return it to the store you bought it at.

G0THIKE
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3885 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Based on this thread, I bought a 30gig ipod with AirClick and am loving it. For my current needs, this is perfect. You all saved me $600. Many thanks!!
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Glad to be hearing this as that is the way I'm going for now. For the minimal investment I have to give it a try.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3885 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I don't really have any need for auto fade right now. My sound is basically for three specific routines and sound effects. So I am either using short sound bites or the entire song. If you need auto fade, I think the itunes software lets you use the equalizer to put the fade in yourself. The think I like about AirClick is that you can hit pause and then forward to the next song, and the song will stay paused. I've had cd players in the past that would forward to the next song but would immediately start playing that song rather than staying in pause mode.

Now I just have to figure out what cord to buy to attach the ipod to my amplifier. The people at the Apple store were clueless. Anyone know the name of the cord or attachment I should look for when I go to Radio Shack?

Eric
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
If you have a Guitar Center around go there. They carry the iPods and amps so they are familiar with the hookups performers are using.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3885 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Thanks John.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3885 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Thanks to friend and fellow Café member Michael Dustman who hooked me up with the proper cables, I tested out my new ipod with AirClick system last night. I could not have been happier. The remote is fantastic and the sound quality through my amp was fantastic. I can't wait to try it out next week. I know the virtual soundman is great but I'm glad I read this thread before shelling out $900 for one. Thanks guys and espeically Michael for giving me the right cables.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Icue vs airclick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL