The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My Site (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
This is my first attempt at a site. let me know what you think.
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Love the color scheme.

Love the simplicity.

Love all the photos.

I did not like the fact that I have to scroll down on the front page.
A good design tip is to fit EVERYTHING on the front page without having to scroll.

Your buttons are HUGE on the front page! Sometimes people can't see their own nose for their face. This means give them a menu instead. If I go to your page just to send you a simple email, I find myself going to three different pages just to do that.

You need references (unless your new) on your website. Some way they can check you out, or at least they know they have the choice to check you out.

Not sure why you mention that your YOUNG. You may think that is a plus, many others will find it a minus. How much experience does this kid have? Can he handle (35) three year olds?

On your contact page, your email should actually link so that they can just click it and not have to memorize it or copy & paste it. make everything effortless on their part.

Quickly finish your stage magic link. Otherwise it looks like you are actually still trying to come up with something to do!

I think you have done excellent! Just consider these points.
Good luck!
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Thank you magic rabbit.

come on 37 views and 1 post, liven up people
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Hey Steve, I also Love the color scheme, but this is my opinion that the menu buttons should be on top or the side of the page where your clients can see them right away.

And I agree with MagicRabbit that the e-mail in the contact area should be linked, MagicRabbit did a good review in my opinion. Until this day I still want to make my site look better.

Steve D many viewed your post as I did, and some must have thought that MagicRabbit answered your post correctly.

All the best Bro,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I like the color , buttons to BIG.

Glanced through it quickly. On the "about me" page I would take out performing magic since 2002. That just does sound like a long time to some people. I would simply not even put that line there or just say fulltime performer.

Comments from clients is a must!

Ken
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I'd have to ditto a lot of the responses already.

* Add some references. People want to see those.

* Remove the "Been performing since 2002" lines. That's not an impressive amount of time. Yes you can learn so much in 4 years, but it does not impress.

* Love the Front page colors. But make your button small enough to fit on the page without scrolling.

* I'm using dial-up, and all of the graphic elements loaded way too slow. (Although that could have something to do with the distance) but speed is King. Make the layout simple, attention getting (both of which you have) and quick to load.

* Your photos are a nice assortment (though more at a live show would be good). However, some of them look grainy. That doesn't make you look professional. Strive to look as professional as possible. Even if you have to remove some pictures.

* On your children's magic home page -- again, make everything fit on the page without scrolling. You don't have that much info, merely condense it. It will look more appealing to see everything at a glance (including the navigation buttons)

Its a very nice first shot at it. And you obviously put some work into it. Now take it to the next level.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Scott pretty much summed up my fellings.
Steve V
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Thanks for the advice given so far. the refferences will be put on their but to me it just looks like you've made them up. the line about ive been performing since 2002 I will re-word only for one reason, when I tell them how old I am and I do kids shows parents really like it. I don't know why, maybe its different from the older entertainers they have had in the past and not been happy with. unfortunately in england there are so many laws about taking photos of kids etc I'm having trouble gettin permission from all the parents at the party but I'm doing a couple of family parties soon so the more 'proffessional photos will come soon. its quite weird about the size of the pages because when designing it they looked fine. if anyone knows the best way to reduse the page size please pm me. do I have to change the icons and all or just the page?

thanks
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Steve wouldn't the parents know about how old you are buy just seeing your pictures?

Ken
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Quote:
On 2006-03-14 05:39, Steve D wrote:
the refferences will be put on their but to me it just looks like you've made them up.

When you ask people (and you should always ask) if they are willing to be a reference for you, that means that they are willing to have people call or email them for their opinion, and therefor a REFERENCE should always include contact info. It is a joke that people list references with no contact info, those are QUOTES - not references.

Quote:
the line about ive been performing since 2002 I will re-word only for one reason, when I tell them how old I am and I do kids shows parents really like it. I don't know why, maybe its different from the older entertainers they have had in the past and not been happy with.

Maybe, until they have a bad experience with a young pup, then your hurting yourself. To gain as many shows as possible you should be neutral. If they are looking for someone with experience you should harp on all that you have done - if they are looking for an enthusiastic, peppy sort, you could highlight your young age, be flexible.

Quote:
its quite weird about the size of the pages because when designing it they looked fine.

Everyone views the web at different screen sizes, you should change your settings on your monitor to see what different users see. My guess is that you are at a very high pixel rate and it looks normal to you. Im at 1024x768 and it looks HUGE!

Quote:
if anyone knows the best way to reduse the page size please pm me. do I have to change the icons and all or just the page?

Resize your button images and then put them back into your website. DO NOT just resize them on your html page, that will change their look, but not their true kb size. Re-size them in an image editor and then re-name them and replace them on your root web directory.

Your icons on other pages look fine, it's just the front page. But that is another issue, you want your web to maintain the same look & feel throughout each page, I think your site varies a little too much from page to page, try to make it more uniform.

Hope this helps!

rabbit
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Love the colours and pictures (my entire costume is made out of the same material on the front of your waistcoat!).

I'm on 800X600 setting and that means I have to scroll sideways to see the whole page. If you use tables and percentages you'll find that your page will fit most settings.

I've never listed contact details with my references (actually I call them testimonials, so is that more gramatically correct?) because I think it's just asking too much to put a customers contact details on-line. If someone asks over the phone I can give them some references to contact. It's a sad fact that some magicians do make them up (and I've even heard of someone copying another magicians testmonials!!!) and I'm not really sure they can be happy within themselves doing that as they're admitting there performance is so below par that they have to make them up. Andy Walker has recordings of his testimonials which is something worth looking into.

George
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
While I agree with you George that it "seems" you are asking too much to have people contact them (as a reference), here is what I have learned:

1. My clients have always asked ME if they could be a reference for me, I do not have to ask them. I merely suggested that he ask some, if he had no one so far.

2. I always provide a sheet of real reference WITH contact info to anyone who is actually interested in hiring me. The truth is, to my knowledge, - THEY NEVER CALL or email my references. They take it on face value (because I actually gave them the opportunity) & they trust me at that point.

3. People like being a reference, it empowers them and makes their opinion worthy. And, if they truly liked you, then they truly want to help you out.

4. If someone actually DOES call them for a reference, it keeps your name on THEIR mind and helps with re-bookings.

5. I know a lot of professionals, DJ's, Photographers, carpet cleaners, repair men, etc. When they offer a reference, IT ALWAYS includes name & phone or email address. Why should we be less professional than them?

Just some thoughts...
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hi Rabbit,
I'm not coming from the angle that it seems too much to have people contact them (although before I gave references out I did feel that way so I know where you're coming from) but just the fact that providing contact details on a web page is putting them into the public domain.
I agree with all your points about giving out references in the context of giving them out myself. In this situation however, contact details shouldn't be on show to every Tom Dick or Harry so maybe the solution relies in including the quotes on your site but making it aware that they are valid by offering to provide contact details if necassery.

George
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Yes, you are right. It is called "on request". But anyone who is interested in me, I give them the information before they have to ask. It just looks professional, I think.
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Good idea about the 'on request'. yes people will see I'm young from the picture because I do look young so they may think I have NO experience. whereas with tha line about me performing since 2002 re-assures them have experience even if not for 20 odd years. the font I use is used in my letter heading and my business cards and judt about everthing else with my name on it so continuity is the key
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Hey, at the very least 'since 2002' will get some chuckles. Where are you at by the way? I couldn't tell on the site and the phone number sure isn't North America. I liked your site better than most I've seen.
Steve V
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Well I'm 23 so its not like I can put "with 20 years experience" on the site. I'm in London England. I havent put a home number on because I'm moving this year and in with my girlfriend in 2 years so its too much hassle lots of people with different numbers. most of my work is reccomendation anyway so they know of me and how young I am and I bring something differen. I'm in the centre pages of a newspaper this week so I'll put that on aswell
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
You know steve more times than not "you" don't have to tell them how much experience you got. Your action photos will tell them everything they need to know.

Photos speak louder than words.

ken
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Exactly. Show them the direct solutions you can provide to them through the use of audience reaction photos and direct features and the benefits of those features.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Steve D,

I think that you are going in the right direction. I am a web designer as well. If I could offer you a few suggestions. Please make your buttons much smaller and place them on the side or the top. Clients do not like to scroll down a whole page just to get to another page. Also, on your bio page it states exactly the same as your close-up page. I believe that you should change your close-up page to what you do as a close-up entertainer and your bio page should be just what it states a short bio of yourself. A must that you should add it a client recommendation reference page, and perhaps a photo page as well. Ask the parent if they would take a picture of you with the Birthday Child after the show and hold a prop or two for the picture then have the parent sign a release form and then put it on your website. Who is hosting you sight and what program are you using to create your website?

Hope this helps!!!!!
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My Site (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL