The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How many effects in a 45 minute show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
170 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Think it depends on the situation/audience and ofcourse your style. Good answer Pete!
EggMan
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of EggMan
Hi all,

I presume you're talking about a stage act as opposed to a close-up show. Personally I do only half hour acts in which I manage to squeeze about 6 effects into. It really depends on the style of the performer and personally I patter a lot. I think its more important actually to get attention with a visual opener and establishing your character early in the show rather than worry about how many effects can be squeezed in.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I perform 9 effects in a one hour show. I guess that would be about 6-7 in 45 minutes?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
I have sad it before and I say it again
Its not the quantity you selling it´s the quality
Danny The Idiot
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Danny The Idiot
I agree with Trixy.
But would like to add to that with, remember who you're doing it for. Put yourself in the place of the audience member who has come out for a good night, or whatever the situation your performing in.
What effects do they recieve?
Is it all productions?
What are the colours of your props/costume?
Music? Patter - is it all the time?
Is there space for the audience to breathe and enjoy what they are seeing?
Is it all comedy? Could you squeeze some tragedy magic in? (I have no idea what that is!)
The balance is yours....
That's my take on it. Danny
Danny Schlesinger

www.CircoRidiculoso.com
happymagic
View Profile
New user
Overland Park, KS
18 Posts

Profile of happymagic
If you're just starting out, don't try to add more tricks in to fill up the time, take the time to routine your tricks, develop interesting stories and funny jokes if that suits you, and try to use the existing tricks to stretch it out... it's a lot harder to go slower than faster, but you may find you'll connect better with the audience if you slow it down.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I use 4 effects in a half hour show, so for 45 minutes I might add one more, but probably not. I use one mentalist effect that takes 10 to 12 minutes by itself and gets me a standing ovation quite often. It is NOT the effects that make a show, it is the ENTERTAINMENT.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 11:43, Paddy wrote:
It is NOT the effects that make a show, it is the ENTERTAINMENT.

Ok, then ... how much ENTERTAINMENT should be in a 45 minute show? Smile

John
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
[quote]On 2006-12-24 08:22, johncesta wrote:
Quote:
...Ok, then ... how much ENTERTAINMENT should be in a 45 minute show? Smile

John

At least 60 minutes worth. One thing I learned from busking is "funny is money." The more you entertain and have them laughing, the more they will pay.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Agent86
Well for my kids shows I usually perform 6 effects with 2 spares just in case. For adults in a 45 minute show, its always 3-4 routines. Never more than 5.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think from reading the above posts a good average might be 6 to 8. Dan Harlan recommends 9, (three groups of three) in his packs small plays big DVD, and that is also a very reasonable number.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
[quote]On 2006-04-27 15:44, johnobryant wrote:
Quote:

First of all A show should be one long routine which blends together. In my shows I like to use props but change them a little bit. For example...If magicians were to watch my show..They would see me pull out cups and balls (of course they have seen them) Well, I like to take them and put a twist on the end of the routine and make them my own.

My show requires props that I blend together into one big routine.

I hope you understand, It was kind of hard to type it the way I want it to sound.

-John

That depends on your style. Vito Lupo has a show that works like that, lasting about 15 minutes. It's tight and effective. But a 45 minute act that was one themed item that blended into everything else that came after it would become very dull very quickly. There needs to be transitions, contrasts, peaks and valleys.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do 11 tricks in my 45 minute show, but if they are really laughing at my jokes sometimes I have to cut one, or two tricks out. I don't know how I could possibly get away with doing only 6 tricks, and hold thier attention for 45 minutes, it just sounds like a lot of dead time to me. I guess it is a matter of style, my philosophy is I get in their face, and never shut up until I take my last bow.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How many effects in a 45 minute show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL