The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bite off the Coin and Blow to Regain Shape Again-How to do that? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

georgecha
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of georgecha
I have been seeing some magician especially some street magicians biting off a part of the coin and then he blow air on the coin again. The coin regain full shape..
Anyone know how to do that trick??
Entertaining YOU always Smile
www.askmrgeorge.blogspot.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Is "The Magic Café" a place to just let the curious know how illusions are accomplished? "Magicians helpling Magicians". We should hold up the integrity of this site and just not post solutions to the merely curiuos. The above information can be obtained elsewhere.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
It's fortunate that the orginal question was asked here, perhaps the user will read and gain a respect and understanding of the code of magicians. Otherwise, as DavidPaul$ pointed out, he could have simply found the answer on google or at his local magic store. (CoCoNst DP?..Inside Pgh thing)
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I agree.
Posting a link that can be obtained through a google search is not exposure. If he had said I don't want to buy the effect just know how it works then I would have not even responded.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
There is so much more to magic than understanding how a particular trick is done, gimmicked or not. One thing is to know the secret, it is completely different to be able to deliver the trick to the audience in a way that entertains and astounds them.

I think that is what the magic Café is really about. Sometimes the discusstions border on exposure, other times they will only make sense to those that know the secrets, but the exposure is never the focus of the threads I read here.

I don't think the original poster asked the question above just to be able to say to friends and family "I know how they do that!". When starting out with magic it is often very difficult to know which questions to ask. I humbly offer this advise which helped me tremendously when I started: "Ask not how it is done, but how to make it look magical."

Best of luck with your magic!

Michael
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 08:40, georgecha wrote:
I have been seeing some magician especially some street magicians biting off a part of the coin and then he blow air on the coin again. The coin regain full shape..
Anyone know how to do that trick??




Do I know how to do that trick? Yes. Will I tell you? No. We don't expose on this forum. By the way you are talking I can tell you have been into magic for less than a few months. I wouldnt even recommend that trick. But, if you must buy it, its called the bite out coin. You can get it from ellusionist. I am telling you ellusionist because that's probably where your looking at now... Just a little tip. If you ARE looking at ellusionist, I just want to say that that's not how you do magic. There are different styles, and if you want to act like David Blaine, (Thats the crack addict approach) then you can do so. You WILL amaze people, but you wont entertain them. Its all about you connecting with the audience. Just a few tips for the future.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Man, I hope that post doesn't get deleted, I just realized how much of a put down on Blaine that was. Blaine is good. He can do a good double lift... But Im not a fan of him because of how he acts, and what he does. Which I will not discuss.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 08:40, georgecha wrote:
I have been seeing some magician especially some street magicians biting off a part of the coin and then he blow air on the coin again. The coin regain full shape..
Anyone know how to do that trick??




I'm sorry. I have no clue either.
Go Blane !!!

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
So we aren't allowed to say things like thumb tips, coin shells and folding coins? "Magicians helping Magicians" I find that statement to seem more and more meaningless the more I read on this site sometimes. More like "Magicians helping Magicians Make Money". Smile
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 13:34, Joey Stalin wrote:
So we aren't allowed to say things like thumb tips, coin shells and folding coins? "Magicians helping Magicians" I find that statement to seem more and more meaningless the more I read on this site sometimes. More like "Magicians helping Magicians Make Money". Smile

...How? This isn't a matter of discussing utilities, which is fine, but a matter of exposure. He's asking how a trick is done. This isn't and shouldn't be allowed.

As to how "magicians helping magicians" doesn't apply to this site . . . I don't get what you're saying. Help goes out every day, if you read.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
How is a double lift done? Oops, guess I just answered my own question. Smile
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
I notice that georgecha is a new user, who has only been posting for a few days now. I have reviewed most of his other posts and they demonstrate a desire to become a great street magician, who is simply trying to learn the art. Sometimes it helps to investigate the background of the poster, so one knows whether the poster is doing something wrong innocently, or with evil motive.

I think by the fact that he is a new user, doesn't know how a basic effect (such as a coin bite)is accomplished, and from a review of his other posts in general, that it does not take much to realize that he is a new to magic. This does not mean, however, that he is entitled to any less respect than that of a pro, as we all started like him at one time. Now, I could be wrong in my assessment of his level of skill, but the point is that he does not need to be attacked, especially as a simple investigation of his posts shows he is committed and willing to learn.

OK, so he made a mistake by asking how it was done. A simple response that it is not proper to ask this question in this way, and in a mentorlike fashion respectfully telling him the rules, is the mark of a real pro. I don't know, but I found some of the comments to georgecha demeaning and somewhat bullying in my opinion.

In one of georgecha's first posts, he interestingly thanks all at the MC that welcomed him to the Forum a few days ago. He felt that the responses that he received were welcoming and was excited about joining. I guess the honeymoon period is over.

Now, what I find even more interesting is that in this thread there is an attack on David Blaine who clearly is not a novice. So, in one thread and post we have both an attack upon a novice and a pro at the same time... "perhaps some protest too much." I will not atttempt to understand the distinctions that were being made about Blaine "amazing" people, rather than "entertaining" them, but to me people who amaze me are always entertaining. Let's face it, Blaine is good, he does know what he is doing, is talented, has paid his dues, and has made a lot of money because the networks know that he is entertaining.

Next, in a post it is implied that Blaine "Amazes" but does not "connect with the audience." Wow, I guess this person has no idea how network professionals who analyze like a laser the impact of a show upon audience marketshare, spent millions to have Blaine not "connect" with the audience, and still hired him over and over again. No, the fact of the matter is that he connects very well with an audience, and that is why his name is known and mine is not.

Sometimes I think that others simply find any reason to attack people who have become sucessful, since obviously it helps to ease the pain of their own failures or mediocrity.

In any event, there is nothing wrong with a new magician being inspired by another magician, and hopefully those who do not like Blaine will mentor georgecha, rather than berate him, and the person he respects. Then, that mentor can take pride that he professionally showed georgecha to his own path of sucess in magic, rather than that of a "hack" like Blaine.

Georgecha, welcome to the Café, and just take heed that it is somewhat a taboo to ask how an effect is done. Many times as you learn, you will be able to read inbetween the lines on how stuff is done, but until then you kind of have to hang in there and the more you learn, the more it will make sense.

Hey, the coin bite is a great effect for the street and a new magician. It oftentimes can allow you to do the effect in front of a random large group of possible audience members and without saying a thing grab their attention, with the hopes that they want to see more effects. This is a great way to bring them in, without having to approach them directly.

Don't worry about the mistake, sometimes people take themselves way too seriously, and those who have some more expierence sometimes forget what it was like not too long ago when they needed help and before the time when they became more talented and sucessful than a person like David Blaine. Regards, Bob.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
I just wanted to add this: If you perform the coin bite it might be a good idea to tell people you do this with magic. It might help people to avoid ruining their teeth if the try it themselves.

Michael
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 21:41, robert bianchi wrote:
I notice that georgecha is a new user, who has only been posting for a few days now. I have reviewed most of his other posts and they demonstrate a desire to become a great street magician, who is simply trying to learn the art. Sometimes it helps to investigate the background of the poster, so one knows whether the poster is doing something wrong innocently, or with evil motive.

I think by the fact that he is a new user, doesn't know how a basic effect (such as a coin bite)is accomplished, and from a review of his other posts in general, that it does not take much to realize that he is a new to magic. This does not mean, however, that he is entitled to any less respect than that of a pro, as we all started like him at one time. Now, I could be wrong in my assessment of his level of skill, but the point is that he does not need to be attacked, especially as a simple investigation of his posts shows he is committed and willing to learn.

OK, so he made a mistake by asking how it was done. A simple response that it is not proper to ask this question in this way, and in a mentorlike fashion respectfully telling him the rules, is the mark of a real pro. I don't know, but I found some of the comments to georgecha demeaning and somewhat bullying in my opinion.

In one of georgecha's first posts, he interestingly thanks all at the MC that welcomed him to the Forum a few days ago. He felt that the responses that he received were welcoming and was excited about joining. I guess the honeymoon period is over.

Now, what I find even more interesting is that in this thread there is an attack on David Blaine who clearly is not a novice. So, in one thread and post we have both an attack upon a novice and a pro at the same time... "perhaps some protest too much." I will not atttempt to understand the distinctions that were being made about Blaine "amazing" people, rather than "entertaining" them, but to me people who amaze me are always entertaining. Let's face it, Blaine is good, he does know what he is doing, is talented, has paid his dues, and has made a lot of money because the networks know that he is entertaining.

Next, in a post it is implied that Blaine "Amazes" but does not "connect with the audience." Wow, I guess this person has no idea how network professionals who analyze like a laser the impact of a show upon audience marketshare, spent millions to have Blaine not "connect" with the audience, and still hired him over and over again. No, the fact of the matter is that he connects very well with an audience, and that is why his name is known and mine is not.

Sometimes I think that others simply find any reason to attack people who have become sucessful, since obviously it helps to ease the pain of their own failures or mediocrity.

In any event, there is nothing wrong with a new magician being inspired by another magician, and hopefully those who do not like Blaine will mentor georgecha, rather than berate him, and the person he respects. Then, that mentor can take pride that he professionally showed georgecha to his own path of sucess in magic, rather than that of a "hack" like Blaine.

Georgecha, welcome to the Café, and just take heed that it is somewhat a taboo to ask how an effect is done. Many times as you learn, you will be able to read inbetween the lines on how stuff is done, but until then you kind of have to hang in there and the more you learn, the more it will make sense.

Hey, the coin bite is a great effect for the street and a new magician. It oftentimes can allow you to do the effect in front of a random large group of possible audience members and without saying a thing grab their attention, with the hopes that they want to see more effects. This is a great way to bring them in, without having to approach them directly.

Don't worry about the mistake, sometimes people take themselves way too seriously, and those who have some more expierence sometimes forget what it was like not too long ago when they needed help and before the time when they became more talented and sucessful than a person like David Blaine. Regards, Bob.


Yes, I know what you mean. What I said about Blaine I maybe shouldnt have said. After I made my first post I even stated that I was a little harsh. I will be honest. David is a GOOD magician. I PERSONALLY don't like his style, but that doesn't mean that other peole don't. Everyone has their own opinions. I also said I don't recommend the bite out coin. Once again, another one of MY recommendations. But, realizing that you are a beginner, maybe the bite out coin will be good for you. Its quick, easy, visual, and beleive it or not can sometimes leave an impact on people. The reason I don't like it is because it is not examinable (unless you do a switch), you cant perform it in all situations, it looks plain fake, and people may sometimes just wonder, "Ok, so this guy walked up to me, bit a peice off a quarter, and blew it back on. Then he left..." They might think you are a wacko. Heck, that's what Blaine did. He bit out a piece of a quarter, blew it back on, and left without saying a word. Now it did leave an impact on that person, but to me, its just weird. It not MY approach. But, everyone has different beliefes. And to the reasons I don't like Blaine. Well, he is OK. He does his effects well, and he amazes people. But that's not how I perform, that to me isn't entertaining. There are also other reasons why I don't like him, in which I said earlyer, I would not discuss. But I PERSONALLY don't like him, and I think he IS an OK magician, but not a good performer. Anyway, I only have so much time to type. So please don't argue over this post, beacause chances are I am with you in one way or another. All the best. -Cory.
robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
Actully Cory:

I have nothing about the post to argue about. I think your post aptly explains your position and I admire you clarifying it rather than getting agitated, like so many do when someone disagrees with their position.

You know what I mean. Sometimes on the Forum, people do not take the time that you did to explain a position, but rather, start volleying personal insults back and forth at one another. Seriously, not that you know me or care what I think, but I have to say that I respect your explanation and the manner in which it was expressed.

By the way, on subject, I recently was given as a gift "Snack Time" coin bite from Ellusionist.com. I hadn't used a coin bite routine in 20 years. Unlike the one that I had years ago, the Snack Time one was gimmicked on both sides of the coin using seperate b---s.

I started using it to be honest with you after my wife and I saw Blaine (sorry... ha ha) do it on T.V. She was actually shocked when he did it. I was surprised at her reaction, thinking that after all of these years watching me, that she was more "magically sophisticated." It just looked so gimmickey to me.

In any event, I started using it and was getting a great reaction to it, as well. Of course, I switched it out. Soon, however, I lost the quatter and instead of buying another one from Ellusionist figured that I could get a quality coin for less money. I was completly wrong. The quatter (from a reputable maker) was poorly made in comparrision, did not move smoothly upon blow back, and since the system was only one sided, if the gimmick failed (snap) you were done. With Ellusionist's coin, which I purchased after I returned the cheaper one, the dual sided gimmick allows for a possible snap on one side without killing the effect. It was also a far better constructed coin.


All regards, Bob.
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 04:38, molsen wrote:
I just wanted to add this: If you perform the coin bite it might be a good idea to tell people you do this with magic. It might help people to avoid ruining their teeth if the try it themselves.

Michael


I have performed the coin bite to a few people while walking around during a weekly concert in my city, and I have found that this is true. Probably 25% of the people take their coin back and try to bite it. I havent had anyone chip a tooth, but he has a valid point here. (Liability...)
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I have tried the coin bite on my folding quarter. it is not like the coin bite, it does not have teeth marks, but it works faily well. And thanks for admiring me! Smile
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
Georgecha

Take the bruise and bloody lip and then forget it. Don't let it turn you away. We learn from mistakes. Keep plugging away but be mindful of the respect here at the Café.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Ok, lets see here. Actual useful advise. Don't ask "How is it done" in forums, but I'm certain you've gotten that already. Buy yourself a copy of "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" Learn effects from that one source and perform them. Concentrate on getting as much education on the subjects of performance, scripting, presence, blocking, rehearsal, and editing as you are able. You need to worry a whole lot more about how you do it,than what you are doing. Most importantly, Rehearse, Rehearse, Rehearse (I refuse to say "practice, practice, practice" anymore because that catch phrase helps to make bad magicians.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bite off the Coin and Blow to Regain Shape Again-How to do that? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL