The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Elmsley Count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

beaker
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of beaker
I was looking through my card handling books last night, and my RRTCM DVD, and I cannot find any instruction on this count. I know how to do it, but I am looking for fine points (ie keep left hand still? Right hand? Snap cards?)

Anyone know a link or such where I can see it being done well? Or some info on what to focus on?

Thanks!

Beaker
BlendoSquid
View Profile
Regular user
UK
140 Posts

Profile of BlendoSquid
Hi,

This has een discussed before. Try checking out this thread, I think it answers your question.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

Regards,

Kevin Courtney
:kewl:
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Buy Jerry Mentzer's book, "Counts, Cuts, Moves & Sublety." I see it for sell often and very economical.However there are not that many different ways to do the count, not sure what you mean about "snapping" the cards. You are only showing 4 cards as 4 while hiding the 3rd card..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
In the first volume of the Elmsley books, Alex Elmsley himself explains in great detail what makes this count work well. It may be the best explanation anywhere (book OR video) of the mechanics of the count.

Cheers,

Lance
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
And a grat performer of this count is John Guastaferro in his brain storm dvds
beaker
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of beaker
Thanks a bunch!! One of these days, I will remember to use the search function before posting!!

Beaker
beaker
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of beaker
Rennie,

I have actually never seen the count used to show four as four while hiding one. I have always seen it used to show five as four, or six as four. I suppose the mechanics would be virtually identical, and I learned it from a very basic packet trick I bought fifteen years ago so I have no idea how Alex Elmsley actually intended for it to be used.

As far as "snapping" the card, I am referring to the last card, and giving the corner a bit of a "snap" as it slides off your finger into the other hand. Maybe "snap" isn't the correct term, but I cannot think of a better way to describe it.

Beaker
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
The description in Card College (along with several other workhorse false counts) is excellent.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 11:05, beaker wrote:
I have actually never seen the count used to show four as four while hiding one.

Although there's much more business taking place, "Twisting the Aces" shows four as four while hiding one.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The count was originally named the "Ghost Count" and is commonly used to show four as four while hiding one that is reversed or a different color.

Each card should appear and sound the same as they are counted/shown.

I also recommend Jerry Mentzer's "Counts, Cuts, Moves & Sublety."
Here: http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cbooks.html
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I learned it on one of Michael Ammar's ETMCM dvds.
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
ONot meaning to slight anyone ( no pun intended) but on one of his "Paperclipped" video, Jay Sankey does an entirely different version of a false count than the standard Elmsley count that I know.
To be honest, I thought it looked incredibly more convincing. Does anyone know what count that is?
Thanks
MXRay
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Beaker........ pm me with your e mail address andi I will help you ,I will even send you my roll over count that I use in place of the elmsley count
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Gerry Griffin teaches the Elmsley Count very well in his Queens Out Of Control DVD and when you perform that trick you get lots of practice with it. Gerry also teaches it in Complete Card Magic - Volume Seven: Cuts and Sleights!

Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights Volume 7 also teaches the Elmsley Count.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
First of all... be sure to take Vinny up on his offer to assist. That is ALWAYS rule #1 on the Café (and you will NEVER be disappointed).
Next... the only snap count I can think of is the Paul Harris count to show so few as so many (The Mondo Nifty False Count), but this actually has nothing to do with Elmsley. Smile

I also "third" the vote for Mentzer's "Counts, Cuts, Moves & Sublety." What a trove of great information.

Best of luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Elmsley Count (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL